Steve McClaren

Dave

I admit I don't like the way we are playing at the moment but it has produced two surprising results. Do we lack the players to play possession/passing football or is it a case of having zero confidence to play such football? Hopefully with these two results we will see more football being played and continue to pick up points.

My own personal opinion, however, is that we lack the right kind of players and that if McClaren is to succeed, he needs players better suited to how he wants us to play. If this isn't a fluke, it does bode well that he can set the team up to play a different game to how he sees things long-term, to grind out short-term results. It is the kind of stuff that can keep a team up.

Again I dont think he is the right man for us and ideally a relegation would be good to help with the AO movement, but I cannot dislike McClaren and I'm happy for him.

His pre and post match interview was totally different to Pardew. He's an honest, thoughtful guy who doesn't get carried away or becomes too despondent. Hard work, spirit etc. has been his mantra for a few weeks now and as cliched as it is, hard work and commitment can go a long way in any form of business, sport or otherwise.

We obviously improved when Mitorvic and Perez came on, but I'd stick with the same starting 11 against Villa at home.

The current style is far away from how we started the season and he seems to have just gone for something more short-term, not that we were playing any different when we last looked competent 6 weeks back or so. I'm not that bothered about a philosophy, for now, our players are too mish-mash and any longevity in style is going to take some smart recruiting (HA).

This is where I have far more faith in McClaren than I ever did with Pardew. With Pardew, this was it. This was his Newcastle and it was never going to improve. With McClaren though, there's been points this season where we have tried to play a possession based, passing style. Gives a bit of hope that once the results continue to pick up, players continue to grow in confidence, that we'll see more of that again.

Either by design or by fluke he got it right today, I think Mitro and Perez needed to know they weren't undrinkable,  if we had the options there's a few others that could do with the same message.

We play great on the break, the first half wasn't great, it was about soaking up the pressure and we let a sloppy goal in, the second half we really turned the screw. I definitely think it won't be as easy as we hope next week against Villa unless they come at us, if they park the bus and make us break them down they'll do to us what we've done in the last 2 games.

Hopefully McClaren can mix it up and get another result, how long since we last did 3 in a row?

Not liking these Gouffran cameos by the way. Thought we had seen the last of that useless tosser.

On the contrary I think he's using subs pretty well last few games. Seems to me that there is some competition for every area of the pitch now even if we aren't well equipped in some of them.

Gouffran seems to be the default 4th choice CM.

Him coming on in injury time tells me it was a timewasting exercise rather than pecking order.

Lucky cunt has been able to celebrate a winner yesterday on the pitch and then the match sealer versus Liverpool :lol:

No matter what i/we think of him as a manager we better not fuck the january transfer window up by not going all in and improve the team/squad. At least not doing the bare minimum. Many "words" from Ashley's mouth in that interview, now it's time to back it up by action. I'm really expecting the bare minimum though, if anything, but i really do hope that McClaren gets backed in the coming window. If not we might as well care even less, if that's even possible? IF we get 3 quality additions i'll be content for now. CM, LB, CB. Make it happen you cunts!

This club doesn't work this way, but i'd be over the moon if we could do well in the coming games and also have a good window. There "could" be a bit of a buzz around the place if we somehow turn the corner and improve the side as well. Not sure why i do this to myself, having the slightest bit of hope only ends up in disappointment in the end anyway, always :lol: Why why why...

If we're 15th by Jan it'll be bare minimum for sure.

Probably, and if this is the case i'd rather see us go down.

We're in transition, have turned the corner, now seeing what this group are capable of, be more patient etc. Don't know how people have so much faith to u-turn on the basis of one window. If he spends 20-50 million again I'll gladly eat humble pie with a side of turd compote but until then he's still the devil.

Is there actually many people who literally believe that things have changed? Even if we spend in january i doubt that i'd believe anything has changed. After all these years its gonna take quite a few windows for me to even consider it. Nothing will make me forgive Ashley, no matter what changes. I'm kind of hoping to have some hope at least, if it makes any sense :lol:

Only if you discount (at the very least) Krul, Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa.

Our midfield wasn't great that season at all. We seldom controlled games and were totally reliant on the back 4 keeping things tight and those up top spinning straw into gold.

Ne mention or credit for the player who was voted as one of the best two centre halves in the league by his fellow pros that season or who picked up the North East player of the year award?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: