Steve McClaren

Dave

Considering how long  we held out to get this guy, I think Charnley will see sacking him this early as an admission of personal failure. Any kind if glimmer of hope over the next two games will be used as a reason to keep him. Remember how long it took us to replace Pardew? Does anyone think we've genuinely got any kind of plan for who's next?

An unpopular opinion but voted no.

There's been some serious exaggerations since that Chelsea hammering. If we'd have taken our chances - not even most of them just the glaring opportunities we've had - we'd be well clear of the bottom three. There's been some horrible decisions like the 3 at the back phase, dropping Mitrovic away to Everton and that shambles at the weekend but overall our play has been better than it's been for seasons.

Unless there was a real chance of bringing someone in like Benitez - not going to happen - then the alternatives that we've been linked with are all uninspiring choices. Moyes has achieved nothing, failed miserably in his last two jobs and plays awful, turgid football. Rodgers comes across like a mini Pardew for me; he believe his own hype yet produces very little.

I'm not entirely convinced by McClaren after once being happy with his appointment but If we go down the majority of blame should be levelled at the player base.

I was agreeing with a lot of what you said, but I couldn't disagree more with that last line.  They deserve their fair share of blame, aye.  But it is farcical, that it has taken McClaren so long to get anywhere near to knowing what his best XI is.  I still don't think he knows.  We took a long while to start playing decent football, longer than his 'judge me after 10 games', at least. 

So players have missed some sitters.  Yes, that's on them.  But barring the occasional game, where we have still ended up losing.  Our away form has been absolutely pathetic.  We've had no shape, our tactics have been non-existent and we just go out there and look like a Pardew/Carver team.  We can't defend as a unit and we don't create anything going forward.  Which is a recipe for disaster.  Is that mostly the players fault, as well?  Why can't he get a fairly talented group of individuals, to even resemble a team, FFS?  Our home form and performances, have only recently started to look respectful and a bit more consistent.  For a lot of last year, they weren't much better than some of our away games. 

I think he has to go, if we are to have a realistic chance of staying up.  I don't particularly like Rodgers or Moyes.  Rodgers seems like a prick and Moyes is boring as fuck, as is his football.  But I'd 100% take them over McClaren.  As they are much better managers IMO and might actually coax some life out of this team and develop some sort of game plan.  One that doesn't rely on Shelvey getting the freedom of the pitch and finding players in behind.  We're going to need to pick up points on the road, too.  Something that I don't see happening, whilst this clown is in charge.

That's a good point on the away form Vlad. Aside from a few good performances where we were unlucky like at Arsenal and the win at Spurs it's been absolute toilet and that has to come from the manager.

I disagree on taking the other names mentioned though. I overheard someone talking earlier about bringing in a motivator to work a long side Cathro and the coaching staff like Sherwood or Redknapp and although I think those names are

laughable to replace him with I wonder if it is simply a matter of motivation and confidence.

Lose badly at Stoke and I think Ashley will pull the trigger, Happy Harry till the summer and then start again.

This.

Another inept performance at Stoke and he'll go like, I'm sure of it.

Ridiculous, as this is the ideal time to change, but that's the way it will play out I think.

An unpopular opinion but voted no.

There's been some serious exaggerations since that Chelsea hammering. If we'd have taken our chances - not even most of them just the glaring opportunities we've had - we'd be well clear of the bottom three. There's been some horrible decisions like the 3 at the back phase, dropping Mitrovic away to Everton and that shambles at the weekend but overall our play has been better than it's been for seasons.

Unless there was a real chance of bringing someone in like Benitez - not going to happen - then the alternatives that we've been linked with are all uninspiring choices. Moyes has achieved nothing, failed miserably in his last two jobs and plays awful, turgid football. Rodgers comes across like a mini Pardew for me; he believe his own hype yet produces very little.

I'm not entirely convinced by McClaren after once being happy with his appointment but If we go down the majority of blame should be levelled at the player base.

Said it before unless we can get someone better they is little point in sacking him. I have no faith in the board to attract anyone better.. the fact he was appointed a few weeks after turning us down , and being sacked by Derby says a lot for me about the board. . I share the same view about Rodgers, think he is another Pardew.. would not want him  Agree with most of his tbh.

Whilst it is hard to see the board making a decent decision, regarding a new manager.  That sort of attitude, would mean we'd still be stuck with Pardew.  I think having that view, would also ensure that we go down.  As it's the only way we're headed under McClaren. 

Whilst it is hard to see the board making a decent decision, regarding a new manager.  That sort of attitude, would mean we'd still be stuck with Pardew.  I think having that view, would also ensure that we go down.  As it's the only way we're headed under McClaren. 

So how would sacking him and appointing someone no better improve things ?

After Pardew we ended up with Carver for half a season, who inexplicably almost took us down having been in an OK position.

I'd rather stick with him tbh, it'll be touch-and-go whether we stay up in that case, whereas you can rely on Ashley to fuck it up massively if there's a decision to make.

I know players are culpable, but how you do anything other that portion the lion's share of the blame with the manager upwards who, most, have overseen the neglect of over 50 odd different players in different squad types is bonkers. The problem is abundantly cultural and includes the ambition shown in the appointment and skill of the manager. It's the Pardew argument again - people are scared of which unknown dinosaur will be brought in. Starting to think we definitely need this relegation just to show using the only currency Ashley deals in that he needs to overhaul everything and if not to nobly fuck off.

We might actually luck out and end up with a decent manager?  What's the alternative?  We're going to just leave McClaren in charge, then get relegated, then appoint someone else when we're in the championship?

After Pardew we ended up with Carver for half a season, who inexplicably almost took us down having been in an OK position.

I'd rather stick with him tbh, it'll be touch-and-go whether we stay up in that case, whereas you can rely on Ashley to f*** it up massively if there's a decision to make.

Fair enough.  I'd rather gamble.  I don't see us getting out the shit with McClaren.  At least some new chump, might get us some points on the back of the new manager bounce.  A bit like sunderland have for the last few seasons.  Or, Ashley might get extremely lucky and end up getting someone half decent. 

Lose badly at Stoke and I think Ashley will pull the trigger, Happy Harry till the summer and then start again.

What's Hoddle  doing now, is he working ? If he not working Surprised his name not linked with the job..

We might actually luck out and end up with a decent manager?  What's the alternative?  We're going to just leave McClaren in charge, then get relegated, then appoint someone else when we're in the championship?

I'd rather stick with him tbh, it'll be touch-and-go whether we stay up in that case, whereas you can rely on Ashley to f*** it up massively if there's a decision to make.

Fair enough.  I'd rather gamble.  I don't see us getting out the s*** with McClaren.  At least some new chump, might get us some points on the back of the new manager bounce.  A bit like sunderland have for the last few seasons.  Or, Ashley might get extremely lucky and end up getting someone half decent. 

it would be down to luck  to get someone half decent, we may get someone even worse also....

Hope this Arry talk stops like. It came from that bagpipe Alan Brazil. Arry's not coming even though it seems logical until the end of the season.

The key to all of this is how desperate is Ashley for the Tv money. If he wants it so bad and he thinks there's a big chance of him missing out on it, then he will really need to get rid of McClaren and get a genuine quality replacement in who can quickly fix the team and avoid the drop. Others here have said that Ashley has f***ed up the replacements a number of times before. The only difference now is the risk is bigger now and it's a massive gamble to go with someone unproven or a cheap alternative. He also probably knows it'd be harder coming straight back up in the near future.

Biggest decision of his time here in my opinion.

Fair enough.  I'd rather gamble.  I don't see us getting out the s*** with McClaren.  At least some new chump, might get us some points on the back of the new manager bounce.  A bit like sunderland have for the last few seasons.  Or, Ashley might get extremely lucky and end up getting someone half decent. 

it would be down to luck  to get someone half decent, we may get someone even worse also....

So you're happy to just plod on, with someone clearly out of their depth?  Who in the middle of February, still has no noticeable style of play or seems to have any idea on how to set us up?  Righto. 

I just find the notion, of settling on some shithouse, useless manager, just because 'the next guy might possibly be worse'.  A bit of an odd one?  So we should just lap up the shit served up to us and just be happy that it's not Terry Vegetables?  The sort of past it manager, that Ashley and Co, might appoint as a replacement?  It can't really get much worse, can it?  We've been in and around the bottom three, since the start of the season.  His record isn't much better than Carver's and that's with a far better squad, IMO. 

Happy to agree to disagree.  As we're just going to derail the thread, arguing the same point over and over.