Steve McClaren

Dave

Looks like Ashley is disancing himself from this clusterfuck so that Charnley will be the one to take the fall if/when it all goes tits up.

His only real chance of saving his job at this stage would appear to be making an inspiring appointment that keeps us up. No, I'm not confident either.

Wouldn't it be stupid and foolish of Benitez if he was to sign a contract without anything guaranteed after safety is confirmed? It'll be Shearer all over again only that Shearer couldn't save us. Surely if Benitez wants the job, he has it in his contract stating that if we avoid relegation, he stays on permenantly while relegation would mean he can walk away if he or Ashley are not interested to carry it forward.

Here's a fun scenario.

Benitez is confirmed. We win the last 10 games and finish mid table comfortably. The line ups are balanced, the football is better, the players look passionate, Mitrovic and Perez score for fun. Benitez expresses a strong interest in the permanent post at the end of the season.

We rehire McClaren.

Maybe we wouldn't have to re-hire him? I was thinking this through last night. I think the reason for the delay just might be that they want to keep him on and are waiting to see who we get, and whether McClaren will accept it.

They just might have stitched McClaren up contracturally with the title Head Coach, allowing them to restructure and bring in a Manager above him without McClaren able to do them for constructive dismissal. I think it's fairly well accepted that the new man (if there is one) will most likely only come in for 10 games. The chances of him bringing his own team in for that time are slight. They may be already in work and wouldn't leave a given job for one which might end after 10 games. The club will also want to avoid ditching the existing team team with over two years left on their contracts and will want some continuity to provide a smoother transition for the critical final ten games.

McClaren's salary is apparently 700k a year, so we would owe him somewhere in the region of 1.6-1.7 million to pay him off. The players do suport the generally held belief he is a good coach but at the moment Simpson and Cathro are taking most of the sessions. Maybe they see him as suited to the Championship and would do what they did with Shearer/Hughton if we dropped. i.e. have him support the new man as head coach, but save themselves 1.7 million should we actually drop by having a ready made championship manager on the books for that eventually.

If we stay up they will then have no qualms in sacking him if they believe the new man (who will then want his own coaching team longer term) to be the way to go as 1.7 million plus the cost of the contracts of Simpson and Cathro will be small change compared to what we will have saved.

To me that seems the most logical reason for not sacking him at the moment.

I heard that fat twat Porky Parry on Talksport, this morning.  They were doing the paper review.  It sounds as if everywhere is reporting that Benitez is our top target and that he's supposedly interested.  Another article made it seem like we haven't even spoken to him and we're trying to gauge his interest, through a third party :lol:

This club has stooped to new levels of incompetence.  Should have got rid of the manager about a month ago.  Instead, he's a dead man walking, still trying to coach a team that have given up on him.  It's taken us four days to decide whether or not we're going to 'sound someone out.'  :dave:

Basically, if we haven't spoken to him.  There is no chance he's coming.  We won't offer enough money for a start and I think it will be the same as when Vieira supposedly spoke to us.  It will take Rafa about 5 minutes, to realise we're an absolute shambles. If he doesn't already, of course.

I think we'll either stick with McClaren, or we get some absolute shithouse journeyman in.  Or just a complete c***, like Sherwood. 

To be honest, for all the (probably misguided) excitement about Benitez, it's far from certain that we'd stay up even if we brought him in. The squad is all over the place, and they clearly don't care.

To be honest, for all the (probably misguided) excitement about Benitez, it's far from certain that we'd stay up even if we brought him in. The squad is all over the place, and they clearly don't care.

No relegation wage clauses inserted. :lol:

:thup: I think we'll go down anyway.

There's a massive danger in making a ten game appointment. Benitez doesn't even really put his reputation on the line because, if we stay up, he's held in higher regard and able to command more money from his next employers (if not us) and, if we go down, then he can tell the world what a clusterfuck we are and everyone would be sympathetic to that.

That will be the appeal I would think.

There's so much fundamentally wrong with NUFC, I maintan that we'll go down. It's an entirely failed institution.

:thup: I think we'll go down anyway.

There's a massive danger in making a ten game appointment. Benitez doesn't even really put his reputation on the line because, if we stay up, he's held in higher regard and able to command more money from his next employers (if not us) and, if we go down, then he can tell the world what a clusterfuck we are and everyone would be sympathetic to that.

That will be the appeal I would think.

There's so much fundamentally wrong with NUFC, I maintan that we'll go down. It's an entirely failed institution.

100% OFSTED wouldn't even bother with special measures they's just close us down  :blush:

Here's a fun scenario.

Benitez is confirmed. We win the last 10 games and finish mid table comfortably. The line ups are balanced, the football is better, the players look passionate, Mitrovic and Perez score for fun. Benitez expresses a strong interest in the permanent post at the end of the season.

We rehire McClaren.

Maybe we wouldn't have to re-hire him? I was thinking this through last night. I think the reason for the delay just might be that they want to keep him on and are waiting to see who we get, and whether McClaren will accept it.

They just might have stitched McClaren up contracturally with the title Head Coach, allowing them to restructure and bring in a Manager above him without McClaren able to do them for constructive dismissal. I think it's fairly well accepted that the new man (if there is one) will most likely only come in for 10 games. The chances of him bringing his own team in for that time are slight. They may be already in work and wouldn't leave a given job for one which might end after 10 games. The club will also want to avoid ditching the existing team team with over two years left on their contracts and will want some continuity to provide a smoother transition for the critical final ten games.

McClaren's salary is apparently 700k a year, so we would owe him somewhere in the region of 1.6-1.7 million to pay him off. The players do suport the generally held belief he is a good coach but at the moment Simpson and Cathro are taking most of the sessions. Maybe they see him as suited to the Championship and would do what they did with Shearer/Hughton if we dropped. i.e. have him support the new man as head coach, but save themselves 1.7 million should we actually drop by having a ready made championship manager on the books for that eventually.

If we stay up they will then have no qualms in sacking him if they believe the new man (who will then want his own coaching team longer term) to be the way to go as 1.7 million plus the cost of the contracts of Simpson and Cathro will be small change compared to what we will have saved.

To me that seems the most logical reason for not sacking him at the moment.

As daft as that sounds wasn't he quoted saying "I believe in that dressing room there are enough performances in the last 10 games," he said. "I don't care who the manager is but the club will get out of this."

If you were gonna get sacked, you wouldn't be arsed if we stay up or not?

I don't care who's going to be above me? Is that what he's saying....

That would take us to a new low.  A manager/head coach, that has proven to be utter shit for us.  Who so far, is proving to be one of our worst manager's, in the modern era.  A guy who's team looked to have downed tools and stopped playing for him.    Would be kept on as a coach? 

Nah.  I'm not having that.  That's too illogical, even for Charnley & Co.  Isn't it?  ISN'T IT?..............  :hmm:

That would take us to a new low.  A manager/head coach, that has proven to be utter shit for us.  Who so far, is proving to be one of our worst manager's, in the modern era.  A guy who's team looked to have downed tools and stopped playing for him.    Would be kept on as a coach? 

Nah.  I'm not having that.  That's too illogical, even for Charnley & Co.  Isn't it?  ISN'T IT?..............  :hmm:

Its more logical than him staying on as head coach. Since they will go the most illogical route possible I am suspecting Paul Jewell in as Manager on an 8 year contract.

Has anyone mentioned Gary Monk?

Fits perfectly...cheap, never get another Prem Club. Sacked from previous job.

Hmmmm.

If we are to be relegated a manager like Monk would be ideal for the rebuilding process in my opinion.

As daft as that sounds wasn't he quoted saying "I believe in that dressing room there are enough performances in the last 10 games," he said. "I don't care who the manager is but the club will get out of this."

If you were gonna get sacked, you wouldn't be arsed if we stay up or not?

I don't care who's going to be above me? Is that what he's saying....

Kind of what I'm thinking, although I actually think McClaren is a proud man and part of his statement was "...regardless of whether I'm sacked I know I can get out of it". That's deluded of course as he and the team haven't shown it. I'm not actually sure he would have been aware of their immediate intentions when he said that.

I just think that the club won't mind writing off a couple of million if we stay up, but wouldn't want to if we're heading down, particularly that if we do drop whoever comes in is unlikely to stay on and they will probably think that McClaren will be more suited to the Championship. It would have been 2 million ripped up in tough financial times ten weeks before he may have become useful.

I see them covering their arses by saying they didn't get it totally wrong in that he is a decent coach, and provided he accepts that role then they will be saving a pay-off now whilst keeping him in their back pocket for a championship campaign. I appreciate how things going tits up at Derby would negate that argument for most of us, but Charnley & Co don't think that logically.

They've also seen a similar appointment work pretty much immediately at Swansea.

If you think it through financially (which is what they will be doing), then McClaren will be on the most of him, Simpson and Cathro. The new man will more than likely have to work with the existing coaching set up due to time constraints. The normal route would be letting McClaren go while retaining the assistant coaches. I just see them hedging their bets and keeping him on too to save the outlay and cover the very possible Championship challenge next season. Provided his contract and ego allow for that. If his contract does but his ego doesn't then they might win again by saving the pay-off.

I don't know anything on this - I just explored the angles on it last night and this scenario jumps out as logical (if you try to think like Ashley/Charnley based upon previous decisions).

Said it before. Have a guess what page we'll be on until we get confirmation whether he's sacked or backed. Im going 666 because I'm sick of having to refresh since Saturday evening.

I heard that fat t*** Porky Parry on Talksport, this morning.  They were doing the paper review.  It sounds as if everywhere is reporting that Benitez is our top target and that he's supposedly interested.  Another article made it seem like we haven't even spoken to him and we're trying to gauge his interest, through a third party :lol:

This club has stooped to new levels of incompetence.  Should have got rid of the manager about a month ago.  Instead, he's a dead man walking, still trying to coach a team that have given up on him.  It's taken us four days to decide whether or not we're going to 'sound someone out.'  :dave:

Basically, if we haven't spoken to him.  There is no chance he's coming.  We won't offer enough money for a start and I think it will be the same as when Vieira supposedly spoke to us.  It will take Rafa about 5 minutes, to realise we're an absolute shambles. If he doesn't already, of course.

I think we'll either stick with McClaren, or we get some absolute shithouse journeyman in.  Or just a complete c***, like Sherwood.

The problem the club have in getting in a new manager is the first thing they do is notify potential managers that they would have to accept a confidentiality clause should we decide to consider them for the job.  The potential managers then bring in their agent to negotiate a fee for signing the confidentiality clause.  This all takes time.  Then once the clauses are signed the club then invites candidates to interview.  The best of them, Benitez, will turn up and make all sorts of  very reasonable demands which the club will baulk at, and will then tell Benitez that he hasn't got the job because of his demands.  He says great, all I wanted was the money from the confidentiality clause agreement.  We then offer the job to Nigel Pearson (who now thinks he is the greatest manager in the EPL because he brought in most, if not all of Leicester's players).  We lose all our remaining games and get relegated.   

These w*****s won't appoint him! Rip up the shitty blueprint and get him in!

Rafa Benitez interested in taking Newcastle United job but could walk away if club are relegated

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-interested-taking-newcastle-11012216#ICID=ios_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Think that's fair enough but make sure he gets the job permenantly should we stay up.

So we have a pre-game press conference on Thursday? Get ready McClaren!