Steve McClaren

Dave

Things we've never done under Ashley:

1. Sacked a manager for poor results.

2. Appointed a foreign manager.

3. Considered the role of manager worthy of any investment whatsoever.

He's also never spent as much of the club's money or been this close to relegation before. Even the year we went down he threw the dice with Shearer.

See points 2 and 3.

Was pretty excited about Cathro coming in, seemed like an exciting forward-thinking guy on the up. Wonder what he actually does behind the scenes because he just seems to sit in the stands with his coat half over his face looking glum on matchday.

Guest Howaythetoon

Been speaking to a mate of mine who happens to be a LFC fan. He says he hopes Rafa doesn't come to us as he will have to start rooting for us. Anyway according to him Rafa won't take shit from anyone, players, staff or owners. Very tough when it comes to diet and training. Tactically as good as any, likes his favourites which can often baffle, Kuyt for example and the football can be boring at times but with the right forward (Torres for them) it can be very good. He is a born winner, wants to win at all costs, even if it's in a nasty way, similar to Mourinho in that respect. Distrusts the media and can get bogged down in petty media wars. Not much we probably don't already know anyway. I'd love him here to be honest. His football although not the best, is light years away from what we have witnessed for the last 5 years or so.

Craig Hope doing his best to get our hopes up

I'm only back from work couldn't be bothered to go through the previous pages ! Hows craig he getting our hopes up ?

His latest tweet:

Craig Hope ‏@CraigHope_DM 26m26 minutes ago

NUFC UPDATE: Rafa Benitez IS interested in talking to NUFC. More to follow @MailSport.

:fwap: :fwap: :fwap:

Howay Rafa.

He's also never spent as much of the club's money or been this close to relegation before. Even the year we went down he threw the dice with Shearer.

See points 2 and 3.

Think his point is he's liable to do something unprecedented in this situation.

Was pretty excited about Cathro coming in, seemed like an exciting forward-thinking guy on the up. Wonder what he actually does behind the scenes because he just seems to sit in the stands with his coat half over his face looking glum on matchday.

Mirrors the demeanour of most of the players really. Common denominator...

Guest Howaythetoon

From various mutterings around SJP it seems Simpson and Black have more of a direct input with McClatren than Cathro. The behind closed doors shit is the work of Black I'm sure.

The Guardian article a few pages back was hugely encouraging. It intimated that there is an acceptance that the structure is not allowing the managers to succeed.

If this is true and they are willing to overhaul that going forward, as the article suggests, then approaching a higher calibre manager like Rafa is more likely than it would have previously been. In fact that article even states that Mike will only sanction a manager that is a clear upgrade on McClaren, and so the likes of Pearson and Redknapp have not been considered.

Last of all the article hinted at them wanting a manager with more international experience due to the international make up of our squad, as they think this will help in bringing the team together better.

All very encouraging. Let's hope the article is on the ball.

See points 2 and 3.

Think his point is he's liable to do something unprecedented in this situation.

Aye.

Dreaming of Rafa tonight. Apart from the second Keegan stint we've had nothing but below average to terrible managers. I'd start to fall in love with the club again if we pushed the boat out and landed Benitez.

Dreaming of Rafa tonight. Apart from the second Keegan stint we've had nothing but below average to terrible managers. I'd start to fall in love with the club again if we pushed the boat out and landed Benitez.

Don't do this to yourself.

The Guardian article a few pages back was hugely encouraging. It intimated that there is an acceptance that the structure is not allowing the managers to succeed.

If this is true and they are willing to overhaul that going forward, as the article suggests, then approaching a higher calibre manager like Rafa is more likely than it would have previously been. In fact that article even states that Mike will only sanction a manager that is a clear upgrade on McClaren, and so the likes of Pearson and Redknapp have not been considered.

Last of all the article hinted at them wanting a manager with more international experience due to the international make up of our squad, as they think this will help in bringing the team together better.

mtAI5Q5.png

http://i.imgur.com/Fzmt7um.jpg

Kaka. Look in the mirror and repeat that to yourself, and if you laugh you'll have the true answer. :lol:

Guest Gomez

Apart from Robson, we haven't hired a maanger of genuine pedigree in my lifetime. Even Keegan was coming into his first job. Rafa would make a nice change.

Who am I kidding? McC's probably distracted Charnley with osme magic beans and convinced him he can get us out of this.

Apart from Robson, we haven't hired a maanger of genuine pedigree in my lifetime. Even Keegan was coming into his first job. Rafa would make a nice change.

Who am I kidding? McC's probably distracted Charnley with osme magic beans and convinced him he can get us out of this.

Dalglish.

I've changed my mind, anyway. I do think they are considering their options, otherwise something would have got out by now - officially or more likely via the local journalists and/or 'media partners' stating that they have full confidence in McClaren turning things around. They clearly have doubts about that.

That said, if they do decide to bin him (and I'll still be surprised if they do) I fully expect the replacement to be the lowest rent option. Sherwood, Pearson, Redknapp, Sanchez or similar. It absolutely will not be someone of the calibre of Benitez. Even if they miraculously decided someone like that was suddenly worthy of investment, I simply cannot see what attraction there would be. We don't offer full control (we employ coaches, not managers), we don't offer good wages, we don't have a good squad and the facilities are pathetic by modern standards. Most important of all we're in a downward spiral and heading for relegation. Nobody of any repute would touch us with a shitty stick, and rightly so.

Dalglish.

Yep. Whatever you thought about his time here he did great things at Liverpool and Blackburn.