Steve McClaren

Dave

Will sit on the fence if it is McClaren, but I would be interested to see how it works out.

McClaren played quite attacking football with Derby/Twente, didn't he?

I'd rather take a punt on getting Moyes over from Spain.

Can't say I'm a fan of trying to bring in an unknown foreign manager based on the fact that they played attacking football in leagues of lower standards.

Unproven in the Premier League as a manager means basically nothing. Pochettino, Koeman, Laudrup all came in seamlessly, as well as bigger names like Pellegrini.

Koeman and Laurdrup were not unknown managers though and had successful stints are reasonable clubs.

A lot of the managers linked to us have either only managed one team/had little success other than a midtable finish on a tight budget.

Will sit on the fence if it is McClaren, but I would be interested to see how it works out.

Can't say I'm a fan of trying to bring in an unknown foreign manager based on the fact that they played attacking football in leagues of lower standards.

Who's advocating that?

I didn't say anybody was? I just said that my preferred choice would not be somebody who otherwise is unknown (ie, the links that have been to us/bookies betting; Garde, Galtier, Tuchel, Gourvennec).

And also with regards to other teams doing the same (Leeds this season, Watford (although successfully eventually).

Is Garde unknown?  and Tuchel just went to Dortmund.

I'd say so, how many times do you think Wikipedia was used when Garde was first linked to us?

And time will tell on how well Tuchel gets on at Dortmund.

Yet you'd take Moyes?

I would never class Moyes as an "unknown foreign manager" due to 6 months managing a team in Spain.

It was more you'd be happy to take Moyes, a manager known for his bland football over someone who plays attacking football. The ones you've mentioned are hardly unknown either.

Then again, why would Derby sack him if they know we're sniffing around? Missing out on compo AND they've had to pay him off.

Because other clubs such as Derby might be more concerned about getting their house in order early and actually making a proper fist of something, rather than waiting around for a few million quid compo at the expense of the next entire season's preparation time.

Guest firetotheworks

Great, a guy who finished 8th in the championship!

Do you want Carver like!?!?!?! IDYIT!

Guest firetotheworks

@CaulkinTheTimes: Never say never, but people close to McClaren & at #NUFC say he burnt his bridges after turning them down.

Newcastle is just a moat filled with burned bridges now like. :lol:

Who's advocating that?

I didn't say anybody was? I just said that my preferred choice would not be somebody who otherwise is unknown (ie, the links that have been to us/bookies betting; Garde, Galtier, Tuchel, Gourvennec).

And also with regards to other teams doing the same (Leeds this season, Watford (although successfully eventually).

Is Garde unknown?  and Tuchel just went to Dortmund.

I'd say so, how many times do you think Wikipedia was used when Garde was first linked to us?

And time will tell on how well Tuchel gets on at Dortmund.

Just because you personally hadn't heard of them doesn't make them unknowns.

@CaulkinTheTimes: Never say never, but people close to McClaren & at #NUFC say he burnt his bridges after turning them down.

jesus pls

"Okay, we tried. John, it's yours."