Steve McClaren

Dave

Man, just because they said communication would improve I for one wasn't expecting all fo the people they banned to be let back in. No chance.

I mean come on now. He is still Mike Ashley! :lol:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/newcastle-united-again-accused-gagging-media-mirror-and-sky-sports-emerge-preferred-media-partners?

Newcastle United again accused of 'gagging' media as Mirror and Sky Sports emerge as 'preferred media partners'

William Turvill

10 June 2015

Printer-friendly version

Newcastle United Football Club has once again annoyed football reporters after the club’s new manager was allegedly “gagged” from speaking to most media organisations. (Picture: Reuters)

A number of sports journalists have criticised the club after only the Mirror and Sky Sports News were allowed to interview Steve McClaren this afternoon.

According to a well-placed source, no other journalists were allowed into the conference and McClaren told them afterwards that he could not speak.

Last year, sports journalists alleged that The Sun had struck up an exclusive “media partnership” with the club. But The Sun was among the news organisations excluded this afternoon.

Simon Bird, of the Mirror, was allowed into this afternoon’s press conference. He was one of those to condemn the alleged agreement with The Sun last year. He said last July: “No national newspapers apart from The Sun invited to interview Remy Cabella yesterday. Mike Ashley gets his cash for questions wish?

“Ashley offered 'access packages' last season. Wants cosy relationship with preferred media partner to avoid criticism & help Sports Direct.”

The Sun’s David Coverdale hit back today by describing the Mirror and Sky Sports News as the club’s “preferred media partners”.

He tweeted: “Steve McClaren gagged from speaking to any media outlet other than @SkySportsNewsHQ and @DailyMirror - #nufc's preferred media partners... So much for a fresh start at #nufc. Their new manager isn't allowed to speak to any media outlet not in bed with Mike Ashley.”

Luke Edwards, of the Telegraph, is already banned, along with his newspaper group, from the club. He tweeted this afternoon: “A little peculiar if #nufc only allowed Steve McClaren to speak to media organisations they deemed to be 'friendly' today. Surely not?!”

He added: “McClaren won't be holding a press conf Only speaking to carefully selected media partners. Real shame, missed opportunity for fresh start.”

Edwards said the "worst thing" is that the local media were also excluded.

The move was also widely condemned by a number of other sports journalists.

Matt Lawton, the Daily Mail's chief sports reporter, tweeted: "Steve McClaren needs to show some balls here and demand all media outlets are invited to his unveiling. Already looks weak against Ashley."

The Mail's North East football correspondent Craig Hope said: "There will be no independent media interviews with new NUFC boss Steve McClaren. Preferred partners (Sky & Daily Mirror) only."

The Independent's Tom Peck said: "Newcastle United barring all but 2 media outlets from McClaren unveiling. To quote @BumbleCricket: 'It's not the media, it's the fans.'"

Former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd has revealed how he and Alan Shearer tried to ‘steal’ Steve McClaren from Middlesbrough 10 years ago.

McClaren is set to be confirmed as Newcastle’s head coach later today as permanent successor to Alan Pardew.

But Shepherd has revealed McClaren could have beenMagpies manager a decade earlier – but he couldn’t get out of his Boro contract.

Shepherd said: “I applaud Newcastle for bringing McClaren in. I think it’s a great move.

“Alan Shearer persuaded me to have a meeting with him (McClaren) 10 years ago. We tried to steal him from Middlesbrough.

“Alan at the time had said that he was the best coach he had ever trained with.

“It was 10 years ago – I might have been ahead of my time!

“He’s a great guy but unfortunately he was unable to get released by Middlesbrough at the time.”

McClaren was manager of Middlesbrough from 2001 to 2006, winning the only trophy in their history, the League Cup, as well as guiding them to a UEFA Cup final.

McClaren comes in as the seventh boss in eight years under Mike Ashley, and faces a huge task to get United back up the table after their flirt with relegation.

Shepherd insists, however, that Newcastle have the right person in charge.

“I think he is strong enough,” he told Talksport. “I think he will work his own way and be anyone’s fool.

“I think they (Newcastle) always had Steve in mind but negotiations went on a bit longer than anybody thought. But who cares? They’ve got the right guy in my opinion.”

I really hope this quote is missing the word won't

Guest Roger Kint

Man, just because they said communication would improve I for one wasn't expecting all fo the people they banned to be let back in. No chance.

I mean come on now. He is still Mike Ashley! :lol:

Theres a massive difference between being more open and allowing everyone back in. They didnt even let Sky show the thing live ffs man, its utterly pathetic.

Guest Roger Kint

Who'd have thought the baring papers from reporting the appointment would be reported :lol:  Whoever is in charge of PR, utter moron :lol:

If i was the national media excluded i would refuse to even mention the appointment again. Just pretend it never happened until the season starts. Its pretty obvious that any transfer rumours in these papers will be completely made up so may as well not print owt about us at all.