Steve McClaren

Dave

Indeed, though I certainly wouldn't say Dalglish was an epic fail, in truth. Souness was an epic fail. Dalglish steered us to 2nd, arguably our most memorable win of the past 4 decades and a cup final.

I'm just sick of it being dressed up as anything other than a total embarrassment, all because it could have been worse.

There's a lot of evidence to suggest he's better than Alan Pardew, by default he'll get us playing better football and such, I get it. I'll maybe be able to watch us play without wishing to end my own life, it's still a load of bollocks though, it's still calculated mediocrity.

Sorry, I hope I get sick of being a f***ing downer sometime soon like :lol:

That's why I'm posting a little less now. Obviously a lot on here and within the fan base want to get on board with this appointment or at least make do, perhaps hope that it's the signal for a new dawn. I sincerely hope they are right and their hopes are not misplaced. I just don't sense that it is though.

I've said my piece on the appointment, it s*** when someone constantly posts negativity on a subject that are if not positive about at least accepting of, so will leave it at that for now.

Like I said hopefully this guy will prove the cynics like myself wrong and goes down with Harvey, KK and Sir Bob as a manager we can be proud of. On a side not sad that we have so few, I would only add Arthur Cox and Ossie to that list as managers I've actually liked and apart from  one promotion neither were particularly successful, especially Ossie.

Guest Howaythetoon

There are several good things about McClaren. Firstly he is a very good coach and the players will benefit massively from this. He isn't stubborn either, he will try new things and he likes to have a good solid base in which to build from first meaning we should be tough to beat. With better technical players we might get a decent balance between defence and attack under him. He likes giving youth a chance and most importantly he doesn't have a huge ego to the point where losing like 8 games on the spin won't matter, he is the type who would walk away if things weren't going his way rather than tough it out ala Pardew or Carver. He's no bull-shitter either.

He will either thrive or nose dive, no in between.

I'm not supporting this NUFC like, but I like McClaren and hope he does well because he's better than some of the fuck-ups who have chanced themselves at Newcastle. It will be bitter sweet though given the owner.

Guest firetotheworks

Being massively cynical is the mean because the club from top to bottom being ridiculous liars has been the mean for 8 years.

I couldn't care less if he comes across well. They want us to think 'it's not his fault for taking the job' or 'it could have been worse' because it lowers expectations yet again and detracts the argument away from it being a shit appointment by a bunch of cunts that want to market purgatory as heavenly.

Guest Howaythetoon

Boro fans don't rate him like. He got them their best ever finish, a Carling cup and a UEFA cup final, but majority of them say the football was dire.

I work in Boro all the time and the general feeling is that the football was functional and bland, but he did overachieve and that he is still their best ever manager. You have to think expectations shot up there, especially as they were brought up on the likes of Ravanelli, Juninho etc. Its incredible that Bryan Robson is regarded higher among a good number of their fans than McCLaren. 

I liken it to how I view Dalglish' time here. For me he didn't do a bad job, he just didn't do a great job. He signed some verey good players, helped us finish 2nd, got us to a final and we beat Barca 3-2. Yes the football was boring at most and he signed shit like Rush and Hamilton, but looking back he was for example nowhere near as bad as say Souness or even Pardew.

Good article up with McClaren talking about the current players and last year's injuries.

A breath of fresh air man. This one at the very least has something between his ears.

A poll from another NUFC forum held just after the news broke that we were after him in January:

http://i.imgur.com/tUt048L.jpg

Pretty sure that was roughly the mood on here too at the time. Interesting to see so many appear to have changed their opinion after enduring half a season of Carver. Guess who wins again.

IIRC there were a few saying they'd take McClaren in january, that's when Derby were near the top of the league mind

The mood on here at that time, from here onwards:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,93490.msg5408690.html#msg5408690

The one post that hits the nail on the head from all that:

To wait for 6 months and risk relegation for Steve McClaren would be one of the most stupid decisions I've witnessed at the club.

Some "highlites" from his last three years with Boro

2003-2004

League cup

Beat Man Utd at Old Trafford 3-2

2004-2005

Seventh place

uefa Cup round of 16.

2005-2006

uefa Cup final

FA cup semis

League Cup QF

Beat Man Utd 4-1

Beat Arsenal 2-1

beat Chelsea 3-0

Some "highlites" from his last three years with Boro

2003-2004

League cup

Beat Man Utd at Old Trafford 3-2

2004-2005

Seventh place

uefa Cup round of 16.

2005-2006

uefa Cup final

FA cup semis

League Cup QF

Beat Man Utd 4-1

Beat Arsenal 2-1

beat Chelsea 3-0

Boro fan at work just told me that in the Carling Cup winning year, they beat the invincible Arsenal side twice in the Semi's. Decent.

Good article up with McClaren talking about the current players and last year's injuries.

A breath of fresh air man. This one at the very least has something between his ears.

Pretty sure there was a time when Pardew came across well and was considered a breath of fresh air as well.....

Not sure that's entirely accurate like. :lol:

Stack, Toure, Cygan, Keown, Clichy, Parlour, Edu, Silva, Bentley (Smith 73), Kanu, Owusu-Abeyie (Thomas 64).

Stack, Toure, Keown, Cygan, Cole, Parlour, Vieira, Edu, Clichy (Owusu-Abeyie 81), Reyes, Bentley.

Pretty sure there was a time when Pardew came across well and was considered a breath of fresh air as well.....

Absolutely not. Never.

Good read that article. Review of the injury situation is an absolute god send. Something is clearly not right.

Yup. Thought so too. Steve Black is going to be key.

Not sure that's entirely accurate like. :lol:

Stack, Toure, Cygan, Keown, Clichy, Parlour, Edu, Silva, Bentley (Smith 73), Kanu, Owusu-Abeyie (Thomas 64).

Stack, Toure, Keown, Cygan, Cole, Parlour, Vieira, Edu, Clichy (Owusu-Abeyie 81), Reyes, Bentley.

Ha good point :lol:

Just got this e-mail...

2005/6 Season we also…….

Lost at home to Sunderland & Newcastle -2-0 and 2-1 respectively

Lost at home to Wigan 3-2

Lost 7-0 to Arsenal

A 4-0 home defeat to Villa – we banned a fan for life for running towards McLaren and throwing his Season ticket at him -  bear in mind he’d won a trophy by now and we got to a European final this year – he was disliked even then.

2-0 loss at home to Blackburn

Between November 27th  and January 31st we picked up 3 points from 27, drawing 3 and losing 7.