Steve McClaren

Dave

If they were serious about wanting Steve McClaren all along and they are desperate enough to ask him to come in for the last 3 games to avoid relegation, surely it would simply be a case of saying "it's now or never Steve. We'll look elsewhere if you can't commit to this"? Not saying that would be the right decision, but the club holds all the cards here if McClaren is indeed interested in coming here. If he's not, then what have the club even been doing all this time? What happens if he turns us down, have they just spent 6 months not planning ahead once again? Scratch that, I know the answer.

Was thinking the same thing. And I'd have no problem with that. In fact...it would be fair enough :lol:

And if he is not prepared to come in a few weeks earlier when he is really needed, then he needn't bother coming at all.

If they were serious about wanting Steve McClaren all along and they are desperate enough to ask him to come in for the last 3 games to avoid relegation, surely it would simply be a case of saying "it's now or never Steve. We'll look elsewhere if you can't commit to this"? Not saying that would be the right decision, but the club holds all the cards here if McClaren is indeed interested in coming here. If he's not, then what have the club even been doing all this time? What happens if he turns us down, have they just spent 6 months not planning ahead once again? Scratch that, I know the answer.

Was thinking the same thing. And I'd have no problem with that. In fact...it would be fair enough :lol:

And if he is not prepared to come in a few weeks earlier when he is really needed, then he needn't bother coming at all.

"It's now or, you know, whenever you fancy, Steve."

McClaren shouldn't even be in our thoughts after the end of season he's had.

It's ridiculous. Going for the cheap easy option yet again. Nothing changes until Ashley goes. Even if McClaren says no they'll just go looking for some other cretin. Curbishley or Sanchez.

Any chance he'll wait and see how next weekend goes? As mentioned in the other threads we could be in the bottom 3 by 5pm next Saturday, in which case he won't want to be anywhere near us.

If we're not (let's say we lose but the mackems and Leicester also lose) he could take over a side that just needs to win at already relegated QPR, who he'll have a decent idea of anyway as I think he was coach there for a bit before Derby. He'll have Janmaat back and hopefully Cisse, even de Jong might be ready to start. I suppose you'd question why he'd bother taking the risk at all but if he's going to get the job in the summer, he may as well try and keep us in the league ffs.

Why are the last 13 matches the only indication of his managerial capabilities? He won 2 of the last 13, but also won 8 of the previous 13 before that and 7 of the first 13 matches of the season. It is not as though, he is actualy on the pitch, anyway, he only has so much control. Generally, McClaren has a history of being a competent manager. The last time NUFC hired a manager with that description was Keegan more than seven years ago.

Why are the last 13 matches the only indication of his managerial capabilities? He won 2 of the last 13, but also won 8 of the previous 13 before that and 7 of the first 13 matches of the season. It is not as though, he is actualy on the pitch, anyway, he only has so much control. Generally, McClaren has a history of being a competent manager. The last time NUFC hired a manager with that description was Keegan more than seven years ago.

Baba, the last 13 matches determined an 8th place finish in a pretty hopeless league with one of the best squads in it. I'd take him over Carver in an eyeblink but let's not pretend he should even be on the shortlist.

He played a whole season and came 8th in the Championship, the season wasn't 13 games.

Baba, the last 13 matches determined an 8th place finish in a pretty hopeless league with one of the best squads in it. I'd take him over Carver in an eyeblink but let's not pretend he should even be on the shortlist.

Pellegrini recorded one away victory in the period from 1 January to 1 May 2015, in a patch of form that saw the 3rd or 4th most expensive sides in the world fall out of contention in all competitions. I still believe he is a great manager. I believe that McClaren is perfectly acceptable and will do well at this level given decent players, and I have formed this opinion of him after seeing his career unfold for a large proportion of my young life. His appointment would not excite me as OM's appointment of Bielsa did, but for the level NUFC currently sits at, he is fine.

Personally I don't believe in hiring managers based on the "level NUFC are currently at".

It's a deliberate glass ceiling. If that means I won't ever be happy with a manager hired by Mike Ashley, so be it. Rather that than accept his restrictions to suit him and his business.

He played a whole season and came 8th in the Championship, the season wasn't 13 games.

Derby last season outplayed QPR at Wembley and were unlucky to go up after finishing third, and then underachieved somewhat this season. Nothing about this infers incompetence.

Personally I don't believe in hiring managers based on the "level NUFC are currently at".

It's a deliberate glass ceiling. If that means I won't ever be happy with a manager hired by Mike Ashley, so be it. Rather that than accept his restrictions to suit him and his business.

I don't understand this statement. No one is happy with the current conditions at the club, but they are directly tied to the type of candidates that the club can attract and will pursue. Without acceptance of this, it hard to have a rational discussion about any potential managers.

Why don't we go after managers who have outperformed him then? Mick McCarthy maybe? Or that bloke who was told three months ago that he's not wanted by Brentford?

Is McClaren really the cheap option? Didn't the Derby fans suggest a 2m compo fee? Can't see Ashley paying that.

Someone else mentioned it, but all the recent heat on Ashley's operation would surely frighten off any decent manager (and several who aren't decent!) Why would anyone sign up for a job when the first question in a press conference is going to be "Don't you have any self respect, man?"

After Saturday's game, my Negative Nancy vibe tells me that Carver's had enough, but the next in line is more likely to be Steve Stone than Steve McClaren. Any fucking bozo with a coaching ticket who would say "yes" is a legitimate option for Ashley at the moment. We can all dream about Klopp (!) or Garde, but those guys just aren't going to say yes to Sports Direct FC...

It's a sickening situation that cannot possibly turn out well.

Either we get relegated or we hire McClaren and get relegated or we hire McClaren and stay up but remain an ambitionless club with an average manager.

No good can come from our club.

Exactly.  He can't put the ball in the net, stop the headers going in, stop the opposition from scoring.  He can't affect that. He can't get on the end of the corner and head the ball clear.  He can't do that.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

With the way things are going we could get relegated with anyone in charge. Now I'd take relegation and McClaren rather than relegation and Carver next season  :scared:

It's a sickening situation that cannot possibly turn out well.

Either we get relegated or we hire McClaren and get relegated or we hire McClaren and stay up but remain an ambitionless club with an average manager.

No good can come from our club.

Stay up - McLaren keeps us in mid-table mediocrity

Relegated  - McLaren keeps us safely in the top half of the Championship