Steve McClaren

Dave

Reading in the Times today that the Cabella complained about McClaren's training methods (passing emphasised) and got shown the door two weeks later. Then last week before the Liverpool game some more players wanted a more direct approach and apparently that's what got us the result against Liverpool. I don't know how much of this is true but if it is it's just confirmation that McClaren is not a leader and it's yet another shambolic appointment.

I don't think listening to players' feedback and changing is a particularly bad sign of leadership, like. Not saying he's a good leader but that's hardly bad, imo. If he carried on playing in a way that players were admitting to feeling uncomfortable in that would be far worse.

But it does suggest that he doesn't really know how to operate in the premier league today.

How so? There's not one uniform style to playing football in the league.

Reading in the Times today that the Cabella complained about McClaren's training methods (passing emphasised) and got shown the door two weeks later. Then last week before the Liverpool game some more players wanted a more direct approach and apparently that's what got us the result against Liverpool. I don't know how much of this is true but if it is it's just confirmation that McClaren is not a leader and it's yet another shambolic appointment.

I don't think listening to players' feedback and changing is a particularly bad sign of leadership, like. Not saying he's a good leader but that's hardly bad, imo. If he carried on playing in a way that players were admitting to feeling uncomfortable in that would be far worse.

But it does suggest that he doesn't really know how to operate in the premier league today.

It's not about style though, a manager's job is to assess his squad and get them playing the most effective football to suit their abilities. That McClaren needs his players to do that for him doesn't say much for his own managerial quality.

It's not about style though, a manager's job is to assess his squad and get them playing the most effective football to suit their abilities. That McClaren needs his players to do that for him doesn't say much for his own managerial quality.

But surely by listening to the players he's doing just that?

I have to agree a Manager should be able to put his best players in the right place, it works through all management placements in any work force. However I also agree that a good manager does not live by "my way or the highway" either and should listen to his staff (players) if there are concerns, it's not a sign of weakness, no one is infallible.

I can't knock him for that approach, however he's clearly not the right man for the job, even if he is doing the best he can with what he's got.

Interesting though that you're choosing to absolutely believe 'The Times' version of events

Interesting though that you're choosing to absolutely believe 'The Times' version of events

I did say that I don't know how much of it is true, I'm just assuming the journalist isn't just making it all up. If he is then you would think somebody at the club would pull him up about it.

Nah fuck it, he gets a lot of credit from me for these results. We improved in the second half against Liverpool without the two subs of today.

Thought we've played with a lot of spirit and enough quality at times to get excellent results in the last two matches.

I think benching them both for today is a sound strategy if he wants to ask them for more than they have been giving us. Place not guaranteed and all that, play well to keep the shirt etc. Now it's their shirts to lose.

Pardew would have one of them benched for Villa to keep Cissé up top for sure, there was no logic at all in his selections.

He got the reaction he was after from the two players and he got the result. There's only so much that can be done with a team containing Colback, Coloccini, Dummett as starters tbh.

Still much happier with McClaren at the helm than Pardew, beggars can't be choosers and the next manager will probably be Alan Curbishly so I'm happy to get behind him for now.

Mitro and Perez did drop their levels a bit, he mixed up the one area he could and that's no bad thing to do.

Having the SDJ/Cisse and Perez/Mitro combos to play is very useful. Very different set of dynamics and to switch between them in a game must unsettle sides. I'm sort of happy with the idea of the former getting the starts as long as the latter always come on second half.

I'm pleasantly surprised at us playing better in the second half than in the first. We were routinely worse in the second half under Pardew and the end of games were scary and most often we played disgusting football. Yes, playing shit in the first half is not going to be good consistently but at least we've shown that we can do well in the second half. That's 4 or 5 times in the league now that we've scored more in the second half than the opposition.