Steve McClaren

Dave

What I'd say is a massive difference between him and Pardew, is that Pardew had a shit game plan and relied on magic, whereas McClaren set up and system appears to be to get the players of quality and play to their strengths.

McClaren actually wants to play football, regardless of how poor he may or may not be playing out from the back makes us far more enjoyable to watch. In order to avoid a ticket from the balance popo I think I have to also call him a shite bastard, so, "he's also a shite bastard."

McClaren actually wants to play football, regardless of how poor he may or may not be playing out from the back makes us far more enjoyable to watch. In order to avoid a ticket from the balance popo I think I have to also call him a s**** b******, so, "he's also a s**** b******."

:lol:

What I'd say is a massive difference between him and Pardew, is that Pardew had a s*** game plan and relied on magic, whereas McClaren set up and system appears to be to get the players of quality and play to their strengths.

McClaren actually wants to play football, regardless of how poor he may or may not be playing out from the back makes us far more enjoyable to watch. In order to avoid a ticket from the balance popo I think I have to also call him a s**** b******, so, "he's also a s**** b******."

:lol:

What I'd say is a massive difference between him and Pardew, is that Pardew had a s*** game plan and relied on magic, whereas McClaren set up and system appears to be to get the players of quality and play to their strengths.

I think you've mis understood what I meant by balance, but it made me giggle none the less.

I like McClaren and it's good to have people on the bench who actually have some brain cells to apply to winning a football match. He has made some weird selections and I don't think he's the most inspirational, but we have the potential to be a very decent team under him.

Looks more and more like McClaren was trying to 'make do' until the players of the profile he wanted arrived. To Pardew, people like Ben Arfa or risk-takers were a hindrance whereas I genuinely think he wants a game plan which involves skilful players, power down the wing, someone who'll go for the 50-60 yard pass to create a chance. I think we'll get there.

It's also exciting looking at the ages of our key players. Perez 22, Mitrovic 21, Shelvey 23, Wijnaldum 25, Sissoko 26, Mbemba 21, Janmaat 26. That core group could in theory be our main men for the next 3-4 years and beyond in most cases. Get this season out of the way and still in this league playing like this and there's plenty to have optimism for.

I like McClaren and it's good to have people on the bench who actually have some brain cells to apply to winning a football match. He has made some weird selections and I don't think he's the most inspirational, but we have the potential to be a very decent team under him.

Although I agree, it's frustrating to feel that with a better manager we could be so much more than "very decent".

Looks more and more like McClaren was trying to 'make do' until the players of the profile he wanted arrived. To Pardew, people like Ben Arfa or risk-takers were a hindrance whereas I genuinely think he wants a game plan which involves skilful players, power down the wing, someone who'll go for the 50-60 yard pass to create a chance. I think we'll get there.

It's also exciting looking at the ages of our key players. Perez 22, Mitrovic 21, Shelvey 23, Wijnaldum 25, Sissoko 26, Mbemba 21, Janmaat 26. That core group could in theory be our main men for the next 3-4 years and beyond in most cases. Get this season out of the way and still in this league playing like this and there's plenty to have optimism for.

Well summed up :thup:

I think, for now at least, it looks like he's solved our tendency to get absolutely humped once a month instilled by the pardew-carver axis of toilet. He's absolutely not a world beater but he's respectable and seems to be trying to make the club respectable. I have time for him.

Although I agree, it's frustrating to feel that with a better manager we could be so much more than "very decent".

Yeah probably, admittedly my expectations have been crushed. I don't want to criticise him for not being someone else though, just hoping he keeps improving for now.

I think, for now at least, it looks like he's solved our tendency to get absolutely humped once a month instilled by the pardew-carver axis of toilet. He's absolutely not a world beater but he's respectable and seems to be trying to make the club respectable. I have time for him.

Same feelings basically, it's hard to dislike him or his staff. At least they're thinking and trying to improve.

There's no guarantee that a better manager would have done any better with the group we have; there was an awful lot of work to be done to pick the squad's confidence up from rock bottom after last season.

People can criticise him for being too safe and not taking more risks, but risks don't always pull come off, and there is/was a genuine likelihood that with such brittle confidence a risk would backfire and cause us considerably more damage.

If he does manage to steady the ship, his real test will be what he does from then on. If he's too negative or safe at that point then I'll be sharing your frustration.

You really don't like Mitrovic do you. :lol:

Me ? :lol:

He's one of my favourite players but his shooting is shit which has cost us points so far this season.

This is probably half the reason his confidence is on the floor in front of goal, a lot of his misses have turned out to be massively costly. Today is probably the first time his poor finishing hasn't cost us. Must be hard for him to take.

The problem with looking that far ahead is that while we are struggling to stay clear of relegation you are going to get the CL clubs sniffing around players like Wijnaldum and they will get their heads turned if we can't challenge for something. This season's gone basically, we will do well to keep a hold of this squad in the summer.

There's just one big problem.