Steve McClaren

Dave

His big test now is doing the right thing -- play Shelvey in his preferred position, continue to play Wijnaldum in the #10 role, DROP Colback for Anita/Saivet as the holding midfielder (assuming Tiote is sold), and Sissoko/Perez/Thauvin to play wings with Mitro up top.

Still hold out some faint hope that we might play some decent stuff with a couple of genuine footballers in the middle.

Know it's basic stuff but it is always good to see us have Mbemba/Colo pick it up off the keeper and play it into the midfield.

We went back to having a DM drop between our CB's tonight, now for me that creates one less pass forward but two sideways. I know it's about pushing your full backs up but one of those is Dummett who's useless going forward.

At one stage we had both DM's between our split wide CB's, utterly ridiculous stuff at times. I'd rather see a CB bring it forward, just imo.

Showed some tactical flexibility with our general approach to the game, tbh, they've obviously been working on the possession side of it again and it's useful to have in your arsenal. I would've made a change or two much earlier, though. The bench wasn't great but we just needed some legs to push our momentum from the equaliser through.

We looked to have a game plan and have game by game been tweeking little things, which is good to see. On the downside though, how did he bring on Toney and Gouffran before De Jong?? His subs always seem really bad either wrong player or too late

His subs are really weird. His biggest negative imo

They are always shite, bar Spurs.

Thought that game was ideal for Marv at some point. Can see why he didn't fancy De Jong, was far too quick and he takes time to warm into a game. I never like him off the bench anyways.

Don't mind him having confidence in Toney but it was like he wasn't sure what his actual role was or where he was playing. Just go on and run around a lot seemed to be the instruction.

His big test now is doing the right thing -- play Shelvey in his preferred position, continue to play Wijnaldum in the #10 role, DROP Colback for Anita/Saivet as the holding midfielder (assuming Tiote is sold), and Sissoko/Perez/Thauvin to play wings with Mitro up top.

Just came in to post similar. Have a horrible feeling he'll play a combination of Saivet, Colback and Shelvey in the middle with Mitro, Sissoko and Wijnaldum as an advanced three.

Usual safety first stuff is my assumption, really hope I'm wrong cause a couple of new signings and a convincing win could really change the mood after last night.

Yeah, can't see what he's trying to achieve with his subs they never seem to be with any purpose. Thought he waited way too long again as well

I'm just glad we've moved on from Plan A: sub the left back for no earthly reason, Plan B: throw darts at the teamsheet.

When we got back to 2-2 and had Man U rocking, instead of continuing to stand in the technical area egging his players on, he retreated to the dug out and we lost impetuous. He made some brave subs but he had little to lose and when we had the chance to go for the kill he sat down. He should have been acting like a loon.

Just came in to post similar. Have a horrible feeling he'll play a combination of Saivet, Colback and Shelvey in the middle with Mitro, Sissoko and Wijnaldum as an advanced three.

Usual safety first stuff is my assumption, really hope I'm wrong cause a couple of new signings and a convincing win could really change the mood after last night.

Yeah you will be right - the usual safety stuff which actually means we don't score that many goals and yet concede at least one goal in just about every game.

When we got back to 2-2 and had Man U rocking, instead of continuing to stand in the technical area egging his players on, he retreated to the dug out and we lost impetuous. He made some brave subs but he had little to lose and when we had the chance to go for the kill he sat down. He should have been acting like a loon.

Genuinely think he's afraid, or not used, to winning. I have also developed the same fear of winning when watching the McClaren NUFC. As soon as it was 2-2 I was shitting my pants and knew it was going to be 2-3 soon. And it was. Not once did I think we were going to go for the jugular. Him sitting down at 2-2 tells you everything about the way he views not just the game, but the way he lives his life: never go above the legal alcohol limit, never light a cigar and always belt up in the back. That sort of a fellow.

I have a strange feeling after a lifetime listening to Pardew, that when McClaren speaks he could actually be telling the truth