Steve McClaren

Dave

We're a much better footballing side than we have been for years and McClaren deserves praise for that.

Yes. I agree. But it's faint praise. My feelings about McClaren are similar to those I had about Hughton. I like him personally and the football is better than what came before. He's not a twat and the football isn't turgid.

We're a much better footballing side than we have been for years and McClaren deserves praise for that.

Yes. I agree. But it's faint praise. My feelings about McClaren are similar to those I had about Hughton. I like him personally and the football is better than what came before. He's not a twat and the football isn't turgid.

He's no world beater and it's still early doors yet, but yes in comparison to the last 5 years McClaren at this moment in time may as well be Pep. Much more likeable than Pardew and proving to understand us better as a fan Base with the football he's trying to play and looks far less like a scrotum in sub zero temperatures than Carver.

The last few games along with a decent couple of signings have given us reason to believe a little again, that's all we needed right now.

Guest firetotheworks

A better footballing side with worse players imo. I don't rate McClaren, but I'd love to have seen the team Pardew had being asked to play in this way.

A better footballing side with worse players imo. I don't rate McClaren, but I'd love to have seen the team Pardew had being asked to play in this way.

I think the season we came 5th could have been better if we'd tried to play the way we are currently trying to play instead of the way that we did.

still think it was cabaye's leadership and cisse's hot streak that lead us to 5th that season rather than any inspiration from pardew.

Colo was faultless till almost Christmas as well.

Him and Saylor were excellent together.

We had good depth that season. Best, Shoala, Perch, Raylor, Guthrie, and Jonas/Ben Arfa performed when they were called upon. There seemed to be a togetherness in that team.

Cabaye's leadership? :lol:

yeah, I really do. seemed the players looked up to him and he was definitely very vocal on the pitch.

He'd just arrived, man. Ba's goals, a defence that played a consistent line, Ben Arfa, Cisse's goals and luck with injuries got us 5th.

Guest Howaythetoon

That season man, we were regularly outplayed. Everything seemed to go our way that campaign, Chelsea and Liverpool being shit etc.

Guest firetotheworks

Cabaye's leadership? [emoji38]

yeah, I really do. seemed the players looked up to him and he was definitely very vocal on the pitch.

He'd just arrived, man. Ba's goals, a defence that played a consistent line, Ben Arfa, Cisse's goals and luck with injuries got us 5th.

...and imo Jonas' s defensive work along with below average players massively stepping up when needed. Best, Perch, Ryan Taylor and Guthrie.

...and imo Jonas' s defensive work along with below average players massively stepping up when needed. Best, Perch, Ryan Taylor and Guthrie.

ok,ok. so we all agree it was due to everybody BUT pardew. :lol:

ok,ok. so we all agree it was due to everybody BUT pardew. :lol:

It was injuries which forced Pardew to finally play Ben Arfa which set us on our fantastic run after Christmas. Before that it was Obertan and Ryan Taylor dazzling all with their silky skills.

STEVE McCLAREN:

'Your support has been enormous'

Hi *****,

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your support over a busy period of games recently.

In the last two home matches, your support has been enormous for the players and the atmosphere you've generated at St. James’ Park has been absolutely electric.

On Saturday, we started well and despite moments of pressure in the second half, you stayed right behind the team.

To have the disappointment we had at Arsenal and Watford, the players fought hard to bounce back against Manchester United midweek and we made a terrific start at the weekend against West Ham.

Considering it was the third game in a week and we more or less named the same team, I’ve got to admire the players for the character and attitude they showed.

It was a tough period. The goal against Manchester United at the end, the way you responded and the atmosphere you created, it was quite an emotional point. To recover quickly and go again as they did on Saturday proves that the squad is getting better and progressing.

In many respects, we’ve been playing very well and not getting the rewards for it.  It takes a lot of mental strength to keep doing that so I’m delighted we got what we deserved in the end.

Now, we have to keep our momentum and that starts with recovery this week and the right preparation for Watford.

Maintaining our fight and spirit is also vital. That’s the minimum we expect, the minimum you expect and the minimum the players should expect of themselves.

We coped very well at Vicarage Road last time out and while we didn’t deserve to lose, we know it will be tough on Saturday. We start every game from zero and we know if we’re not right attitude-wise and we don’t put the work in, Watford can hurt us.

I was delighted to hear that we have another sold out away end for the game on Saturday and I’d like to wish everyone who is travelling a safe and pleasant journey.

Home and away, your support continues to be hugely important to the team and we’ll be working hard to give you the performance and result your support deserves.

Steve McClaren

If this guy has anything about him he will get a win at Watford. Massive game, and with two previous encounters under our belt he has all the preparation and hindsight to sort it out. Pressure is on, we need those 3 points.