Steve McClaren

Dave

He has to go.

No point sticking with him and thinking he is the man to get them back up - he has already proved that he couldn't do that with Derby.  Getting someone decent in now - if only on a short-term appointment will give them a chance.  However, I have no confidence in their choice of manager as there is no-one who will be involved in the decision who has the knowledge of what is required.

It seems to me that Rafa would be a bad choice short term, since he'd need some time to drill his very tactical approach into the players (and a lot of the current players seem of the thick sort). Sadly NUFC needs solution short term.

Not that he'd come anyway but I think the respect the players would have for him might be enough to help us in the short term

It seems to me that Rafa would be a bad choice short term, since he'd need some time to drill his very tactical approach into the players (and a lot of the current players seem of the thick sort). Sadly NUFC needs solution short term.

At the minute. We don't appear to have any tactics. McClaren is still figuring out how to set us up, 28 games into the season FFS :lol:

I think anything from Benitez would be an improvement. He'd make us harder to beat in the short term and hopefully develop some sort of identity, in the long term.

All moot, though. I don't think he'd come and I doubt we'd approach him.

At the minute. We don't appear to have any tactics. McClaren is still figuring out how to set us up, 28 games into the season FFS :lol:

I think anything from Benitez would be an improvement. He'd make us harder to beat in the short term and hopefully develop some sort of identity, in the long term.

All moot, though. I don't think he'd come and I doubt we'd approach him.

Yeah, he's out of the question, was speaking rhetorically.

Maybe just the bounce and morale lift would be enough, but he's the kind of manager that needs time imho.

Prepare yourself for bad news. Once they've thought about it, they'll realise no cunt will come to us who is any better than McClaren and so stick with him and publicly back him and say everything is fine. They done it with Carver last year if you remember.

Guest firetotheworks

It goes without saying that I think at this stage anyone is an improvement even if it's short-term.

Prepare yourself for bad news. Once they've thought about it, they'll realise no cunt will come to us who is any better than McClaren and so stick with him and publicly back him and say everything is fine. They done it with Carver last year if you remember.

We were midtable when Carver took over though weren't we? Bit different now

Prepare yourself for bad news. Once they've thought about it, they'll realise no c*** will come to us who is any better than McClaren and so stick with him and publicly back him and say everything is fine. They done it with Carver last year if you remember.

Not even Carver had the club in such a bad position IIRC, despite that abysmal run. But yeah, precedent is not encouraging.

Prepare yourself for bad news. Once they've thought about it, they'll realise no c*** will come to us who is any better than McClaren and so stick with him and publicly back him and say everything is fine. They done it with Carver last year if you remember.

We were midtable when Carver took over though weren't we? Bit different now

I'm on about after losing 8 games on the trot with Carver. We had 3 or 4 games left and we tried to get McClaren in (I'm sure there was a big meeting at the training ground, it was on SSN all day), he turned us down so the club came out and publicly backed him. Can you not remember that?

What is happening now will be exactly the same.

Not even Carver had the club in such a bad position IIRC, despite that abysmal run. But yeah, precedent is not encouraging.

I think the difference this time, apart from the big TV money at stake, is the fact that they chose and waited for McClaren. Then he had a summer of spending (probably little say in those signings), then after disappointing results, he got to spend more (and signifiganlty) choose some of his own players in January, but we are now worse off and heading down.

Looking back at history, Pardew's first full season we finished 5th - then they gave him the contract extension up to 8 years as they feared England might come knocking. That may have contributed to him not being sacked.

McClaren only got a 3yr contract, didn't he? As someone else said, he's failed miserably at all targets he was set this season, and been given better resources/funds than predecessors.

That is why I believe (perhaps naively) that Ashley may take action this time.

Guest firetotheworks

Exactly, he's just been the manager for the biggest team in the world ffs. Why on earth would Benitez come here? :lol:

The attributes you need to get a manager's job at Newcastle are to have no pride, no shame, no ambition and no issues with doing what you're told even if it's the the detriment of the team, the club or your own standing in the game.  That rules out most of the managers being spoken about here.

Liverpool finished 4th before Benitez took over, Inter 1st, Napoli 2nd, Real 2nd. Gonna be a hell of a job convincing him.

I think even Moyes is a bit unrealistic and Rodgers even more than Moyes.