Capello confirmed as new England manager

kirkwdavis2001
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which bit of elephant's dong didnt you understand?

The part where it relates to finishing second in one of the best leagues in the world...

Who gives a shit, he's good as appointed now.

I was merely pointing out that he nearly got Roma relegated in a tit-for-tat with 2J as he was trying to say there wasnt a blemish on his CV or something. He won the Scudetto with Roma but then he fell out with Totti and they were close to relegation at one point. The Roma fans think he did it deliberately as he was a Lazio fan as a kid.

He is a quality manager and am happy though.

The club attempted to defend the title in the following season but ended as runners-up to Juventus by just one point.[5] This would be the start of Roma finishing as runners-up many times in both Serie A and Coppa Italia during the 2000s; they lost out 4–2 to AC Milan in the Coppa Italia final of 2003[14] and lost out to Milan again by finishing second in Serie A for the 2003–04 season.

They finished 8th in 2002-03 as well, not really relegation is it.  bluerazz.gif

Which part of 'close to relegation at one point' relates to where they finished?

Which bit of elephant's dong didnt you understand?

The part where it relates to finishing second in one of the best leagues in the world...

Who gives a shit, he's good as appointed now.

I was merely pointing out that he nearly got Roma relegated in a tit-for-tat with 2J as he was trying to say there wasnt a blemish on his CV or something. He won the Scudetto with Roma but then he fell out with Totti and they were close to relegation at one point. The Roma fans think he did it deliberately as he was a Lazio fan as a kid.

He is a quality manager and am happy though.

The club attempted to defend the title in the following season but ended as runners-up to Juventus by just one point.[5] This would be the start of Roma finishing as runners-up many times in both Serie A and Coppa Italia during the 2000s; they lost out 4–2 to AC Milan in the Coppa Italia final of 2003[14] and lost out to Milan again by finishing second in Serie A for the 2003–04 season.

They finished 8th in 2002-03 as well, not really relegation is it.  bluerazz.gif

Which part of 'close to relegation at one point' relates to where they finished?

But give me examples of when he did take them close to relegation? I want specifics God dammit. ;)

Also when he left you could say he possibly tried to take the club down, as he sold some of their best players and then fucked off about a month later to Juve. :lol:

We missed a trick on not getting Capello in like when we had the chance. ;)

Now in all seriousness, how surreal is it going from Mike Baldwin to Capello? I seriously can't believe it. He might actually get the players to perform and actually have some pride in representing their country again. This in turn might make people like myself get more behind the national team, when we actually see the players wanting to be there barring the odd few. After all I've had quite a melancholic feel for a while now to the national team, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

great appointment for England.. i always thought the national team needs the tactical awareness and pragmatic (is this a word?) thinking of an Italian manager.. I prefer Lippi though, as he appears somewhat less controversial and is more likely to handle better the off-field pressure that comes with the position..

Guest Knightrider

Now that we have our token big name manager I feel the real culprit of our demise or failures, the Grassroots game, or rather those that ruin it, will be swept under the carpet...

Now that we have our token big name manager I feel the real culprit of our demise or failures, the Grassroots game, or rather those that ruin it, will be swept under the carpet...

Absolutely spot on.

Until we address the underlying fucked-up-ness of the game, nothing will really change.

Guest Knightrider

Absolutely spot on.

Until we address the underlying fucked-up-ness of the game, nothing will really change.

This is why I would have been all for an Alan Shearer type in the job, give him 5 years, let him grow and influence the actual job rather than fit the bill as Capello obviously does. Missed opportunity I feel and I just know the Grassroots game will be overlooked because yipeee, we have a world-class manager therefore we will win the World Cup.

For what it's worth I think he'll do no better than Sven did myself. The problems with our national side stem all the way back to Grassroots football and unless we do something about that, we'll still churn out average players or players technically and tactically unable to compete at the highest level. If we do win something it won't be by design put it that way.

Guest kinaldo

I reckon England will now be a team to be feared and taken seriously, which is not something I can ever remember. Ever since Capello took over at the Bernabeu in 1996 and turned them from a shambles into champions in one season (whilst laying the foundations that won them 3 CL's in 5 seasons) despite being up against a magnificent Ronaldo-Figo inspired Barca side, I've rated him as the best manager in the world. I've always maintained that wherever he goes success is guaranteed. When he took over at Roma I predicted them to win the league, then again at Juventus, and last season I tipped Real Madrid. He's never let me down.

His reputation for playing dour football is unjust imo. It's not so important in Italy, but he's shown in Spain that he can adapt to play attacking football. In 96/97 his side were outscored by Ronaldo's Barcelona, but they were near impossible to beat and crushed most oppositions. For the second half of last season, when they finally gelled, Madrid were as good as any to watch and I don't believe his sacking was purely down to style of football. It's true that the Madridistas are notoriously hard to please and entertain, but the fact remains that Schuster had been lined up in January when they were on a dreadful run, and that he was Calderon's initial first choice prior to Capello's appointment.

My only reservation about whether he'll succeed with England or not is that he hasn't done so well in cup competitions. In 16 years he's secured 9 league titles with 4 different teams, but only 1 European Cup - which is also his only significant cup triumph (discounting Supercups). That was a long time ago, back in 1994, and probably remains the most outstanding performance from any side in final in the modern era. But since then his Roma and Juventus sides have performed dreadfully in the Champions League. Juve's performance against Liverpool in 2005 was quite abysmal. I think maybe he's more adept at building championship winning sides rather than cup winning sides (like Liverpool in a way) and that may tell again for England in when it comes to the World Cup.

That said, he's still the best appointment the English FA could make, imo.

I reckon England will now be a team to be feared and taken seriously, which is not something I can ever remember. Ever since Capello took over at the Bernabeu in 1996 and turned them from a shambles into champions in one season (whilst laying the foundations that won them 3 CL's in 5 seasons) despite being up against a magnificent Ronaldo-Figo inspired Barca side, I've rated him as the best manager in the world. I've always maintained that wherever he goes success is guaranteed. When he took over at Roma I predicted them to win the league, then again at Juventus, and last season I tipped Real Madrid. He's never let me down.

His reputation for playing dour football is unjust imo. It's not so important in Italy, but he's shown in Spain that he can adapt to play attacking football. In 96/97 his side were outscored by Ronaldo's Barcelona, but they were near impossible to beat and crushed most oppositions. For the second half of last season, when they finally gelled, Madrid were as good as any to watch and I don't believe his sacking was purely down to style of football. It's true that the Madridistas are notoriously hard to please and entertain, but the fact remains that Schuster had been lined up in January when they were on a dreadful run, and that he was Calderon's initial first choice prior to Capello's appointment.

My only reservation about whether he'll succeed with England or not is that he hasn't done so well in cup competitions. In 16 years he's secured 9 league titles with 4 different teams, but only 1 European Cup - which is also his only significant cup triumph (discounting Supercups). That was a long time ago, back in 1994, and probably remains the most outstanding performance from any side in final in the modern era. But since then his Roma and Juventus sides have performed dreadfully in the Champions League. Juve's performance against Liverpool in 2005 was quite abysmal. I think maybe he's more adept at building championship winning sides rather than cup winning sides (like Liverpool in a way) and that may tell again for England in when it comes to the World Cup.

i think the limitations of capello's style - slow, defensive, hard working, strong physical players, not a great deal of pace or movement, was obvious to see when juve played arsenal last year. you had sprightly, skilful players like fabregas, henry and pires running and passing circles round juve making fine professionals like emerson or vieira look like lumbering oafs.

i'm not entirely sure english footballers are so well suited to the possession football capello's teams play. our major strengths include pace and end product, the only pace in capello's teams tends to come from the full-backs, and he doesn't usually employ wingers, so i think the likes of walcott, young, lennon and agbonlahor might have to take a back seat while he is in charge. i can see him playing a narrow 4 across midfield actually, with gerrard and cole (or even scholes) on the "wing" but spending most time drifting infield. a bit like camoranesi and nedved at juve. also, since he prefers big defensive midfielders in middle i'm not sure what he'll do as we don't have any of those (at least there's none that come to mind). maybe hargreaves and carrick will suffice.

on the other hand his brand of keep-ball might just provide the solid platform for talents like rooney or gerrard to shine, without them having to be burdened doing jobs elsewhere on the pitch that they're not suited for.

i don't think owen will have a place in his team tho, closest i can think of an owen-type in one of his sides is montella at roma and he spent most his time on the bench, when he did play he was alongside the more imposing batistuta and the creative totti just behind. somehow a strikeforce of rooney, owen and crouch doesn't sound too feasible.

Guest kinaldo

i think the limitations of capello's style - slow, defensive, hard working, strong physical players, not a great deal of pace or movement, was obvious to see when juve played arsenal last year. you had sprightly, skilful players like fabregas, henry and pires running and passing circles round juve making fine professionals like emerson or vieira look like lumbering oafs.

True, but they did put Barcelona to the sword twice last season when they were reigning Spanish champions and European Champions. Barca managed to escape with a 3-3 draw at the Nou Camp thanks to the brilliance of Messi deep into injury time but they were well beaten in Madrid. As I said, I think Capello can adapt to whatever style is necessary. I don't think he had the players to do so at Roma and Juve perhaps, and I'm not too sure if England have the right players either, but I'm Irish so it doesn't bother me too much :)

Guest Knightrider

His brand of keep-ball is pointless then because our players don't have the technique, imagination or tactical know-how to keep possession effectively in the way that international football demands and no amount of coaching will rectify that. Indeed it's de-coaching they need more than anything because their inability in possession, lack of tactical awareness and average technique stems from their football education both in childhood right through to Academy and then Premiership football. Until that changes we're pissing in the wind, regardless of manager. In my opinion anyway.

We have the ability or talent, that isn't and never has been or will be a problem. But the developing environment for that talent has been wrong for 40 odd years now and if anything is getting progressively worse as football continues to change.

It all starts at Grassroots level and ends in the all too familiar failure that is England at international level.

Capello may improve results on the pitch but will he improve English football? I very much doubt it. That's what needs to happen though, on and off the pitch at every level, starting at the very base of it. Now, today, not next year or when we lose another penalty shoot out. Now. Do that and our national side will take care of itself.