Nail your colours to the mast: Sack or No Sack?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Things will pick up again, and people who were quick to criticize will be praising him.

i'm dreading the u-turns like, its gonna make me sick

Funnily enough I think most of the people will be hoping the team form improves, I hardly think they will be worried about there previous posts on here if we win 5 on the bounce.

I still think we should stick with him even though yesterdays result has put me in a right bad fettle this weekend.

what is sad for me is that if he does turn it around (which I genuinely can see him doiing over the next 2/3 seasons), I cant see him ever forgetting the reaction of the fans and therefore will never show us any loyalty should a better offer rear its head.

:-[

I'll be delighted if he suddenly gets it together and our form improves.

I didn't want Allardyce at first, but I thought that he had to be given a chance, see what he can do, and I was impressed with what he was saying in the summer.

I thought that whilst we weren't playing particularly well, we were getting results and that time was needed for the team to bed in.

Gradually I've watched that argument fall to pieces. It's become obvious that its Allardyces tactics that are at fault. I can't see any other excuses. We have decent players, but he's playing them in stupid postions. Play the players in their proper positions with a settled formation and I bet anything that our results would improve. Why do Man U and Arsenal perform so well? Because they have great players playing in their natural positions. OK our players aren't quite on the same level, but they're good players non the less, they just need to play in their natural roles.

I don't see how playing players in the wrong positions is going to improve things over time.

He could be here in a hundred years (not literally, obviously), but if he continues to play people out of position then it'll still be just as stupid and just as ineffective in 2107 as it is in 2007.

The only way things will improve under Allardyce will be if he realises that he was wrong and goes back to playing a settled formation with players in their natural roles, and if he hasn't realised this by now, I'm seriously wondering if he ever will.

I think he's one of those like Souness. A stubborn c*nt who refuses to see or admit when he's gone wrong. He has to be right all of the time, he can't back down and admit he was wrong. He can't hold his hands up and say,' Hey I'm sorry, I've got this wrong, but I'm going to try something else'. Admitting he was wrong would be 'weak' you see.

I'll be delighted if he suddenly gets it together and our form improves.

I didn't want Allardyce at first, but I thought that he had to be given a chance, see what he can do, and I was impressed with what he was saying in the summer.

I thought that whilst we weren't playing particularly well, we were getting results and that time was needed for the team to bed in.

Gradually I've watched that argument fall to pieces. It's become obvious that its Allardyces tactics that are at fault. I can't see any other excuses. We have decent players, but he's playing them in stupid postions. Play the players in their proper positions with a settled formation and I bet anything that our results would improve. Why do Man U and Arsenal perform so well? Because they have great players playing in their natural positions. OK our players aren't quite on the same level, but they're good players non the less, they just need to play in their natural roles.

I don't see how playing players in the wrong positions is going to improve things over time.

He could be here in a hundred years (not literally, obviously), but if he continues to play people out of position then it'll still be just as stupid and just as ineffective in 2107 as it is in 2007.

The only way things will improve under Allardyce will be if he realises that he was wrong and goes back to playing a settled formation with players in their natural roles, and if he hasn't realised this by now, I'm seriously wondering if he ever will.

I think he's one of those like Souness. A stubborn c*nt who refuses to see or admit when he's gone wrong. He has to be right all of the time, he can't back down and admit he was wrong. He can't hold his hands up and say,' Hey I'm sorry, I've got this wrong, but I'm going to try something else'. Admitting he was wrong would be 'weak' you see.

Souness was given stick by the fans and changed his ways when he brought Robert back because of the fans putting him under pressure, Allardyce did something similar yesterday when he tried attacking the opposition.  Souness couldn't live with Robert and put himself before the club, I can't see Allardyce doing that.  I still have hope that Allardyce can change, it’s up to him now because rightly or wrongly he’ll eventually run out of time and I think he’ll look back at this as a lost opportunity if it does go wrong.

Things will pick up again, and people who were quick to criticize will be praising him.

Funnily enough I think most of the people will be hoping the team form improves, I hardly think they will be worried about there previous posts on here if we win 5 on the bounce.

agreed, though i cant really see how that affects what i said in any way, it was an opinion, and you cant persuade me not to find being extremely fickle a sickening quality

What sort of u-turns are you expecting?

maybe i should clarify, i'm not definitely expecting them, but if sam is given a bit of time, chances are at some point we'll go on a run of form and start to pick up some points, at which point i expect a lot of 'he's finally seen the light, champions league here we come' type of comments showing up. its just human nature i suppose but i just wish people would learn to give the benefit of the doubt when things go bad if they're willing to revel in the success, i'm not out for a fight but as nufc.com said buying the ticket is only part of the deal

at the end of the day people just need to remember that we're a mid table club and any finish above last years placing will be progress, sam's got a good record in this leaugue and realistically we couldnt wish to be in much better hands at THIS moment in time

maybe i should clarify, i'm not definitely expecting them, but if sam is given a bit of time, chances are at some point we'll go on a run of form and start to pick up some points, at which point i expect a lot of 'he's finally seen the light, champions league here we come' type of comments showing up. its just human nature i suppose but i just wish people would learn to give the benefit of the doubt when things go bad if they're willing to revel in the success, i'm not out for a fight but as nufc.com said buying the ticket is only part of the deal

at the end of the day people just need to remember that we're a mid table club and any finish above last years placing will be progress, sam's got a good record in this leaugue and realistically we couldnt wish to be in much better hands at THIS moment in time

I think teasy is right , it's Sam who has made a U-turn and given our players some licence to get forward with intent, even away from home. Blackburn wasn't the right result but at least we gave the opposition something to think about, not just worry what they might do to us.

Anyway, to sack him now would be madness. For one, there are no outstanding candidates available to replace him right now. Plus we'd always be wondering whether he might have turned things round given some time and patience. Let's see how ther next few games pan out, as I think we'll not approach them in such a negative frame as we have so far this season. At least I hope not.

I think teasy is right , it's Sam who has made a U-turn and given our players some licence to get forward with intent, even away from home. Blackburn wasn't the right result but at least we gave the opposition something to think about, not just worry what they might do to us.

Anyway, to sack him now would be madness. For one, there are no outstanding candidates available to replace him right now. Plus we'd always be wondering whether he might have turned things round given some time and patience. Let's see how ther next few games pan out, as I think we'll not approach them in such a negative frame as we have so far this season. At least I hope not.

i think its more of a long term approach to setting up a team mate, its really not as simple as either play to win or play to lose

I can't see him being sacked but, I could see him walking if this rough treatment continues.

In defence of the vast majority of Newcastle supporters who do not boo at every opportunity I genuinely feel that we have the foundation for something quite good here right now. we have an owner with pots of cash and something of a finity with the fans. We have a proven manager, albeit at a smaller club. We have an assembly of some decent players. Now all we need is it all to click into place.

Sadly, due to the real craving for any sort of success up here, we have destroyed some really good players' confidences. Our current back four consists of Beye (ex captain of Marseille), Cacapa (ex captain of Lyon), Enrique (most promising left back out of Spain) and Faye (Strong proven centre back with Premiership pedigree). That back four should stand up against most front lines in the current Premier League but, they are playing so far within themselves due to the pressure being applied by the fans and media. If I were in their position I would welcome an injury to get me out of the melting pot that is St James's Park on a Saturday afternoon.

Sam has to see what is happening before it is too late and shore everything up. The simplest way to do this short term is to play a simple 4 4 2 game with every player in a familiar position so that they know what they are doing. If your wide men are popping balls into the box, the forwards are going to knock a couple of those in, statistically it has to happen!!

In midfield play your wide men on the correct flank, have a holding player and someone with some flair, we have a couple of each style player on our books, work on this in training to find the best partnership - bollocks to any premadonna who complains that they aren't a regular first choice. If they are not good enough they need to get over themselves and try to become the player that the club needs in order to get their chance.

Up front we are blessed with some great talents who are not being given any sort of tangible service to deal with.

There you go, the club is sorted, now lets go and win some games of football.

Guest Brewcastle

The only way there will be any u-turn from fans is if Sam himself makes a u-turn and gets some sense, along with some balls.  I really hope that happens, though it seems extremely unlikely.

Exactly! -Can't see Sam's way to lead the squad so far gives reason to be optimistic. But if he have balls to make a u-turn, maybe.... (let Milner play at right f.ex.  :parky:)

In my lecture today there was a quote which stood out from Richard Caborn.

"Success and failure in policy terms have little to do with rational decision making in order to solve long term problems but, rather, have more to do with political short term gains to appease interested parties..."

This summed up the Shepherd era. Fans wanted Robson, Souness and Roeder gone, the fatman sacked them, showing absolutely no planning. We went on a little run usually with a new manager and the fans were happy and the pressure was off. It seems that most have turned on Sam already and he can do nothing right, but sacking him now shows no long term planning which Chris Mort suggested last month. I would rather try a different approach for once and give him time to get it right, rather than continuing in this void of negativity and failure.

not even a question for me here!! allardyce is a quality manager, he's made some tactical mistakes yes but he's also trying to figure out his team.  changing managers unfortunately doesn't improve the quality of the squad.  big sam is capable of sorting this out but he needs time and our support.  if things haven't improved by the end of NEXT season ask me if we should sack him then. until otherwise posted sam is the man for NUFC

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see Allardyce out and it's nothing to do with raised expectations since Ashley arrived. I've seen nothing to suggest Ashley is going to back the manager as well as the previous board, and to be honest , I don't blame him because Allardyce is not his choice. I wouldn't give him my money.

I've never seen Allardyce as the right man because I think he's a small club man, I think he's out of his depth here. The signs are there, just as they were there with previous managers. Ashley has some big decisions to make in the coming weeks because we need players and they must be better than we have now, not squad players. This will cost a lot of money, Allardyce is not his appointment but it's his money. I know what I'd do if it was my money.

I hope people get to throw this post back at me at some point in the future when FS has us challenging near the top of the league.

Good post, pretty much how I feel.

shame you disagreed with me and kicked up such a fuss when I said exactly the same thing.

My reply was in agreement with his opinion on Allardyce at this point in time, clearly.

Clearly not, I quoted the post perfectly correctly. 

I'll try to break down my post to stop people getting confused in future, thanks for pointing it out and I hope it hasn't caused any confusion on your part.

No confusion at all.

Clearly there was as you thought I had meant something that I didn't, mainly because I didn't break down the post properly.

Anything else you notice that doesn't seem right feel free to point out and I'll go about putting it right. O0

No. There is no misunderstanding at all, you referred specifically to the whole post. Including the comments about Allardyce, who you backed for the job.

Anyway. I'm wasting enough time with you, I don't need you to clarify anything.

Just go to bed you crazy old man.

Mind you, seeing NUFC play 100 times at 27 is pretty good going  ;D

Who's seen the toon only 100 times at 27 like NE5?