Alan Smith

tmonkey

All he really offers is winning the ball and holding it up but he was bummed in the face today in that respect!

I know not all strikers are there to score goals every game but bloody hell could Smith be any less likely to score a goal!?

He wins the ball occasionally but hardly ever wins possession, most of the headers he does win don't fall to a team mate.

He is shit.

I would be interested in knowing how people like NE5, HTL, sicko2ndbest etc judge him now he's been played in his preferred position a few matches in a row, seeing as the were frustrated by judging Smith for being shit in midfield. Turns out he's shit everywhere! Not much of a surprise to most of us of course, but it must be a shock for some on here..

I would be interested in knowing how people like NE5, HTL, sicko2ndbest etc judge him now he's been played in his preferred position a few matches in a row, seeing as the were frustrated by judging Smith for being shit in midfield. Turns out he's shit everywhere! Not much of a surprise to most of us of course, but it must be a shock for some on here..

O0

Smith did a good job today. He did everything but score.....or set anything up....or pass well....or hold up the ball well....or face the opposition goal.....but he did try.

whats that expression? Touch of a rapist?  He really can't even do the simple things right, it's ridiculous. I'd much rather see shola over him, but hopefully once martins and viduka are 100% we won't see much of him.

Despite the s*** performances, I still think the only decent partnership we have is Smith playing just behind Martins - only because we dont have the right partner for Viduka, whilst theres no such thing as a good partner for Owen unless its someone who is good at playing up front on their own.

But hes certainly one of the, if not the, most overrated players in the Premiership. Its suprising just how many sets of fans think hes a "good" forward, despite him never having looked it after the initial breakthrough where he merely did well for a youngster.

But hey, I guess im being negatively biased and dont know my arse from my elbow because I dont rate Smith.

Something I find frustrating about his play is that, seemingly, when he gets the ball into feet he moves forward about 15 yards. But he has his back to ground, and is taking us back down the pitch. I realise that this sort of move would be acceptable sometimes, but it happens with distressing regularity.

Guest Geordiesned

Something I find frustrating about his play is that, seemingly, when he gets the ball into feet he moves forward about 15 yards. But he has his back to ground, and is taking us back down the pitch. I realise that this sort of move would be acceptable sometimes, but it happens with distressing regularity.

He's got the turning circle of an HGV.

For all the mistakes he does make, (never passing forwards being my main concern), it's farcical that we were expecting him to beat Martin Laursen in an aerial battle for 90 minutes yesterday. That bloke is one of the best - if not the best - headers of the ball in the league and he had a good 3 inches on Smith as well.

Very frustrating approach to take and it didn't do Smith any favours, not that he did himself many either like.

Smith did a good job today. He did everything but score.....or set anything up....or pass well....or hold up the ball well....or face the opposition goal.....but he did try.

Yep, one of his best performances in a black and white shirt tbf.

Oh dear:

Smith given Keegan blessing

Feb 11 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

KEVIN Keegan has insisted every club needs a player like Alan Smith despite the fact the striker has still not scored for Newcastle United following his £6m move from Manchester United in the summer.

Smith played much of his football under former manager Sam Allardyce in midfield, but he has been used as a striker by Keegan. The 27-year-old has not scored a Premier League goal since November 2005, although his manager is adamant he brings more to the team than he is given credit for.

He said “Alan Smith’s working his socks off. It’s a hard job playing up front when a team’s not getting a lot of good possession.

“It’s great place to play if you’re like (John) Carew on Saturday and you’re getting the ball at the right pace and it’s got the right weight and in the right areas.

“But our front two have had to fight and battle for scraps and I think the two of them have done well considering.

“Alan hasn’t scored goals and if you judge him by that you’d say he hasn’t done very well. But if you look at his work-rate, his enthusiasm, I thought first half, he was just about the best player on the park.

“He got us a lot of possession which was probably 50:50 or 60:40 their favour. I like him, I like his character. Every club needs an Alan Smith around – bubbly, lively, bright and who cares.”

Keegan was also quick to praise his captain Michael Owen after the forward had responded to being dropped by new England manager Fabio Capello against Switzerland last week with a goal.

He said: “I said to Michael Owen: ‘They’ve written their stories this week you write yours’. To a point he did and it’s a pity it wasn’t enough to win a football match.

“Michael’s a great character, a very strong character. People try to shoot holes in him and the more they do that the more he’ll try to prove them wrong. I think that’s always been the mark of great players. Michael knows, I know, you know. Big names make big stories, great headlines.

“I told people before this match, before the last match, Michael was very fit and if we provided him with chances he would score.

“We’ve only provided him with two half chances for the two goals he’s got, but he has shown courage and an appetite for work.’’

Great confidence booster for the wingers that, Kev. Motivational my ar*e.

He doesn't have to big Smith up at all...just drop the useless f*cker. Viduka has had the same service as Smith in about as many games up-front and has still managed 4-5 goals. Same with Owen & Martins. Hell, even at set-pieces you feel more confident of Faye, Cacapa, Beye and even Rozehnal before he left at causing a threat.