Alan Smith

tmonkey

Booing Smith was uncalled for. He might be a s**** football player, but he puts in 100% all the time. Ever if we want to get rid of him, we should at least acknowledge that he tries and not boo him.

this is what smiths gets away with '100% everytime'. bullshit

Booing Smith was uncalled for. He might be a s**** football player, but he puts in 100% all the time. Ever if we want to get rid of him, we should at least acknowledge that he tries and not boo him.

most of the effort Smith puts in is misguided, so no he doesn't give 100%

Posted this in the Valencia match thread as well but did anyone else see Smith at the end of the game? He walked over on his own to the East Stand, the Gallowgate, then turned to the Milburn, and applauded the fans. This was after everyone else had gone off towards the tunnel. He then took his shirt off and I thought for a moment that he was going to throw it to the crowd, but then he just tucked it under his arm and walked off.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it (Wishful thinking?) but it looked to me for all the world as if he was saying goodbye and knows that he's leaving.

Booing Smith was uncalled for... he puts in 100% all the time... we should at least acknowledge that he tries and not boo him.

From another perspective, the aged-old quantity vs. quality argument resurfaced in another light. Is mere effort by putting 100% sufficient or is quality sufficient regardless of whether the effort is 100%?

Perhaps, for most of us, it is getting a win, getting a goal, not leading to a deficit and eventually not being the main culprit who caused us to lose a game that matters, regardless of whether 100% effort is put in.

Or rather yet in another harsh perspective or cruel reality, players are merely tools to an end. What serves the purpose, is a good tool. Otherwise, it is a non-efficient tool no matter how much effort he puts in. - Cruel yes, but in this pragmatic world, this is reality in the crude sense.

hopefully, not really his fault, I hate him, but I felt sorry for him when people booed him, out of order, just proves that the geordies are thick as f***, honestly, as fans 60% of us are f***ing idiots. Whos else has the guy moaning about everything behind them? pisses me off, today I had some idiot going on all game as if Cacapa and Duff were sending us into the championship, then he said we should have signed Andy Johnson, honestly, St James' a fortress? We scare the s**** out of our own players.

That was a very pissed rant, not in context entirely, took me f***ing ages to correct my pissed spelling....

EDIT the hopefully was to Chris R's post

Posted this in the Valencia match thread as well but did anyone else see Smith at the end of the game? He walked over on his own to the East Stand, the Gallowgate, then turned to the Milburn, and applauded the fans. This was after everyone else had gone off towards the tunnel. He then took his shirt off and I thought for a moment that he was going to throw it to the crowd, but then he just tucked it under his arm and walked off.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it (Wishful thinking?) but it looked to me for all the world as if he was saying goodbye and knows that he's leaving.

Think your right, at the end of the game they closed in on Duff, who gave Smith a big hug, looked like an acknowledgement that its the last time they will be on the pitch together in a newcastle shirt.

hopefully, not really his fault, I hate him, but I felt sorry for him when people booed him, out of order, just proves that the geordies are thick as f***, honestly, as fans 60% of us are f***ing idiots. Whos else has the guy moaning about everything behind them? pisses me off, today I had some idiot going on all game as if Cacapa and Duff were sending us into the championship, then he said we should have signed Andy Johnson, honestly, St James' a fortress? We scare the s**** out of our own players.

That was a very pissed rant, not in context entirely, took me f***ing ages to correct my pissed spelling....

EDIT the hopefully was to Chris R's post

Drunk as you were, you're still bang on the money. I don't so much mind miserable bastards whining about the game, especially if they do it in an amusing way, but the booing has annoyed me for a long time, and it seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold my tongue about it this season

Guest Phil K

as fans 60% of us are f***ing idiots.

ALL football fans fall into this catagory, not just geordies.

Ever heard Liverpool fans on about how they "deserve the title" because they won it so often in the past, and turned up WHILE they were winning ? Or Man U fans going on about pre-92 as if they had no success at all (ignore the FA Cups and UEFA cup) Theres as much stupidity and MORE from other clubs fans, matey.

Whatever happens to Smith I hope he does well, granted he's not the most technically gifted of players but atleast he gave it his all on the pitch, you can't boo somebody who did all he could on the pitch.

Whatever happens to Smith I hope he does well, granted he's not the most technically gifted of players but atleast he gave it his all on the pitch, you can't boo somebody who did all he could on the pitch.

By the same length, we cannot scold someone who has failed his/her exams even though he/she has done his/her best?

Or was it not his/her best? Besides, how did you know that Smith gave it his all on the pitch? What about off the pitch? What about his mentality?

I do not think people booed him for one mere match of stupidity. One match may be an accident, two matches may be a coincidence but over a period of matches?

On the flipped side of the coin, is a player who has given his all but is the chief culprit who caused us to lose and without him in the squad, we happened to be able to score and win... entirely blameless?

By the same length, we cannot scold someone who has failed his/her exams even though he/she has done his/her best?

Or was it not his/her best? Besides, how did you know that Smith gave it his all on the pitch? What about off the pitch? What about his mentality?

Yeah you can't, if they do their best what more can be done?

Smith actually tried to get tackles in, moved around the pitch trying to win the ball etc. I've never heard of him being any trouble off the pitch while at Newcastle (however i'm not saying he's been an angel).

Yeah you can't, if they do their best what more can be done?

Smith actually tried to get tackles in, moved around the pitch trying to win the ball etc. I've never heard of him being any trouble off the pitch while at Newcastle (however i'm not saying he's been an angel).

Then that is not their best then. They do not serve their intended purpose.

You've never heard of him being any trouble off the pitch while at Newcastle doesn't mean he indeed does not have any trouble, am I not right to say that?  Who else but himself will know of his real attitude towards football and the club?

If he does not like boo or scolding, then he should seek to use it as a motivation to prove others wrong. That is a strong character. Succumbing to booing and scolding indicates a weak mind.

You can't possibly say that Smith gave his all on the pitch last night or in the other pre-season matches :lol:

He looks so pathetic out there. Just drifting around.

Not saying the booing was fine by any means. That and defending it is just as pathetic as Smith's performances

Guest Stephen927

Can never understand booing your own players or manager.

Say what you want about them and their performances after and before the match, but once they step out onto the pitch give them your full support.

You can't possibly say that Smith gave his all on the pitch last night or in the other pre-season matches :lol:

He looks so pathetic out there. Just drifting around.

Exactly !

In fact, 100% effort but 10% work done? or 10% effort but 100% work done? To be very honest, the end result is important, not so much the process (or the so-called effort).

The performance he puts in on a series of occasions simply does not justify the wage he commands. It is a huge renumeration without results. Of course, looking from another angle, who would be so stupid to ask for a wage-cut or leave the club? That is a pragmatic view of most, & perhaps Alan Smith too.

By the same pragmatic view, fans are entitled to boo him and jeer him as well. Morality approach deserves morality approach in return, pragmatic approach deserves pragmatic approach in return. I believe this is fair play in the world today.

one thing I will say, nobody was complaining this much when Souness and Allardyce were booed

The incompetence deserves to be booed, criticised etc... It's a fact of life whether one can accept it or not. For those who does not, they are just lucky that they have met some nice people. It's a harsh world out there, not like a bed of roses for children or youths out there in school or being sheltered in the comfort of a happy family.

Bottom-line: Don't be an incompetence or make sure someone is always more incompetent than you (Blunt, harsh but true!)

Another advice: Getting booed or not... Don't let it get to you... It should be an encouragement to do even better, to prove others wrong! Letting the boos get to you, doing nothing does not help at all. The saying that time waits for no man doesn't help either.