Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest teepee

just saw this - fuckin spurs, what an annoying turn of events

probably one of the best realistic players out there for us

plus spurs have probably just taken a stp away from us and our peers

absolutely gutted. don't think there's a better player we could've bought so we should've gone all out to get him. if we've had the dinamo people at our training ground and failed to meet their fee of £15.8m, which is very reasonable considering the talent, then i'm a bit disappointed in the board. obviously it shows they are prepared to pay biggish fees in excess of £10m but quality costs and rather than haggle over one or two million here and there, it is better to just get the good players signed. maybe you can have the satisfaction of not paying a couple million over the odds but i'd rather have the satisfaction of a top class player in the squad.

as for MJ's crap about euro football, better manager etc, i think i'd rather trust mrainey who actually lives over there and says it is purely about money.

still, i think we'll end up getting a good player as Keegan has an eye for talent, but skeptical about our 2nd choice being as good Modric appears to be.

We can't really be sure what really happenned in the 11th hour, but like you I feel we should have perhaps gone the extra mile for this player. I would add that although we have lost this one, the key indicator is that we are going for players of this calibre and that can only be read as a positive thing.

true. i do wonder who else will be on the list who would consider coming here.

Chillax! No matter how highly you rate Modric, and i do like the look of him, no one can deny that it is risky to spend that much money on a midget from the Croatian league. Plenty more players in the sea i say!

No great loss, tbh. Don't see how you can be too gutted in all honesty - we weren't too close from sliding off the PL map not so long ago. That's not to say we shouldn't be ambitious and make the most of our potential, but even the Man Utds, Arsenals, Chelseas of this world know you don't win every battle. This is just one, and a small one at that. Well done to Spurs, though obviously I hope he is over-rated. ;) Looking forward to today's game, personally.  :clap2:

Guest optimistic nit

just saw this - fuckin spurs, what an annoying turn of events

probably one of the best realistic players out there for us

plus spurs have probably just taken a stp away from us and our peers

but they may well lose berb in the summer, and their still very far away from a top 6 side. they need a new keeper and 2 new centrebacks at least.

The fact they are in the UEFA Cup and we aren't meant he was possibly never coming here and we were used to get Tottenham to bid more. It isn't the first time (Rooney) and it won't be the last.

Keegan has 3 targets for every position, let's have trust in him and the rest to bring what we need.

We beat Spurs to the signature of Duff. Hopefully Karma will return the favour and Modric will be for Spurs what Duff has been for us - crap.

This may turn out like when we missed out on Zenden and got the much better Robert.

Plenty more players to choose from.

At least now we won't worry about Modric getting injured in Euro 2008. Some may even hope he does get injured now.

I just wonder if some you lot are maybe making way to much deal about this!! I know for sure that there are many decent footballers in the world and that we can get some of them in...

And it must be a reason why Modric ended up at spurs after all the big clubs looked at him and did not buy him.

So for fucks sake get over it!!

Remember Igor Bišćan? It’s was a reason why he ended up at Liverpool…………………

Long life the King

Guest optimistic nit

The annoying thing is that now Spurs have their left hand side sorted out which has been their achilles heel for years. Add two quality central midfielders and they're gonna be a dangerous side.

and 2 centrebacks... and a goalkeeper. ;)

The annoying thing is that now Spurs have their left hand side sorted out which has been their achilles heel for years. Add two quality central midfielders and they're gonna be a dangerous side.

Possibly but it isn't like every player new to the Premier League hits the ground running. For example, look at all the quality European players the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have bought who haven't performed.

There are no guarantees.

and 2 centrebacks... and a goalkeeper. ;)

Woodgate and King are quality. Yes they're injury prone but one will normally be available when the other isn't and both can carry their defence on their own (as Woodgate did ours when he was here).

He's not a winger though so I suppose Spurs will either have to stick him in CM with Hudd/JJ or change their formation.

Possibly but it isn't like every player new to the Premier League hits the ground running. For example, look at all the quality European players the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have bought who haven't performed.

There are no guarantees.

I'd rather they signed someone who's proven s***...like oh I don't know...Damien Duff ;).

He's not a winger though so I suppose Spurs will either have to stick him in CM with Hudd/JJ or change their formation.

He can play left wing by all accounts and since they have no-one else who can I imagine that's where he'll play.

He can play left wing by all accounts and since they have no-one else who can I imagine that's where he'll play.

New GK

Hutton - King - Woodgate - Bale

Lennon(?) - Jenas - New CM - Modric

Berbatov - Keane

Can see them finishing in the top 6 easily

New GK

Berbatov - Keane

I would be suprised if Berbatov was there

Guest MrShens

absolutely gutted. don't think there's a better player we could've bought so we should've gone all out to get him. if we've had the dinamo people at our training ground and failed to meet their fee of £15.8m, which is very reasonable considering the talent, then i'm a bit disappointed in the board. obviously it shows they are prepared to pay biggish fees in excess of £10m but quality costs and rather than haggle over one or two million here and there, it is better to just get the good players signed. maybe you can have the satisfaction of not paying a couple million over the odds but i'd rather have the satisfaction of a top class player in the squad.

as for MJ's crap about euro football, better manager etc, i think i'd rather trust mrainey who actually lives over there and says it is purely about money.

still, i think we'll end up getting a good player as Keegan has an eye for talent, but skeptical about our 2nd choice being as good Modric appears to be.

very true.  really gutted because modric is class and its saying something when a billionaire owner won't step in and fork up the extra couple of million it would have cost to probably bring him here instead of letting him goto Spurs.

bad decision, hope it doesn't come back and bite us in the arse.

New GK

Berbatov - Keane

Sad thing is I think at least 5 of those would walk into our first team.

I'm not too bothered that we've lost out on him, at least we're going for quality and I'm sure Keegan will get the best out of whoever comes in.  I'll be happy as long as we're going for quality players now that we've got a foundation to build on.