Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

Guest Darth Toon

I'm sure I read somewhere else KK had sent evidence by fax? Not the same as being there, but I think that's probably understandable given the media scrum that would have developed had he shown up.

Its not as if the fa were going to switch issues to why keegan left during the hearing. i dont think the ten yards walking to/from his driven car to the front door would create a circus. to be quite honest if it did wouldnt it be a good thing to take some of the heat off barton? a big fine and suspended ban seems fair, not sure exactly how that might work though.

Guest Geordiesned

Does it matter like?

Pretty certain he'll never wear a Newcastle jersey again, suspended or not.

To be honest that's what I reckon.

Guest Geordiesned

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/09/Statement_Barton_charge_Sep08.htm

At an independent Regulatory Commission hearing today, Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton was given a 12 match suspension, six matches of which are suspended until the end of the 2009-2010 season, and fined £25,000.

Barton admitted a charge of violent conduct relating to an assault on his then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo at City's Carrington training ground on 1 May 2007.

He is suspended for six matches with immediate effect. The suspended sanction of six further matches will be automatically invoked in full should Barton be found guilty of any similar charge involving violence or be dismissed from the field of play for violent conduct (but not for serious foul play).

A statement from the independent Regulatory Commission Chairman Maurice Armstrong said: "Much has been written about Mr Barton over recent months. The Regulatory Commission had the benefit of taking all appropriate information into consideration. The Commission members considered principally the serious attack by Mr Barton that clearly cannot be accepted.

"The members also had to take into consideration the sanctions imposed by the courts and the pro-active support Mr Barton has received from Newcastle United FC and other professional bodies.

"The Commission members wanted to punish the offence appropriately but give Mr Barton an opportunity to ensure his professional conduct does not falter again and ensure he is fully aware of the consequences should he make another serious error of judgement."

Guest Geordiesned

6 game ban immediately + 6 game suspended ban which runs until the end of the 2009/10 season.

how does the ''6 game suspended ban'' work?

I think it means he has to miss another 6 games at any given time.

Yeah basically the same as a suspended prison sentence. You commit another offence within the period specified (in this case before the end of the 09/10 season) he'll have to serve an additional 6 game ban on top of the 6 games he'll serve immediately.