The Kevin Keegan debate

Guest Knightrider

It doesn't feel like it's been 11 years since he walked out of the club. Everyone's moved on though. He's got his own thing going and hasn't shown any inclination to get back into management whatsoever.

It would be fantastic to recreate the glory years but it's not going to happen.  :nope:

Hasn't watched a game of football since leaving Man City

Do you really believe that?

He's said it on separate occasions, i cannot see why he would lie.

So HTT can justify threads like this.

Can't deny that it was magical times under Keegan but it just about sums up our club which gets 50,000 plus fans every game to be talking about a manager who had a shed load of money and won nothing! It would be great to harp back to a manager who had won something!

I was going to say that it would have been even more interesting if Robson had the same money as Keegan had or if we imagined a younger Robson getting £100 million to spend over the next few years. But then I thought give Keegan his due, by far he's been the best manager with regards to singing players we've had as there was too many bad ones made. Was this down to him being able to shop at the top end of the table or having a good eye for a player?

Hasn't watched a game of football since leaving Man City

Do you really believe that?

He's said it on separate occasions, i cannot see why he would lie.

Overstatement for effect rather than outright lie.

In regards to signing foreign players, I'm sure I read a later interview where he said that he would always travel to the players and sign the paperwork at that end if possible. This way, if the players were put off by the cold weather when they arrived at Newcastle airport it'd be too late for them to change their minds.

Who knows though.. He did sign some fantastic players.

HTT

Ancient history, mate.

All those crying out for Keegans return should read Sams interview in the Mag. He is obviously spot on with too many of you living in the past. Sir Alex was also right too with too many of you living in the past on our 5-0 victory against Man U in 96.

Like it or not, stats show that longevity breeds results. We have had too much change in the past few years. Sam will get it right, eventually, but it will not be this season, possibly not even next season, but probably the season aferwards, given time and support.

By the way, give me 100 million quid and Shearer by my side and I think I would get us champions league football. Sadly, I doubt Sam will be as fortunate as a Mourinho in having that sort of financial clout behind him.

As much as I liked KK and the job he did, I think it would be a mistake as someone said earlier he's been out of the game to long and has lost his zest for the game and as for Shearer if he really wanted to manage then he would have started by now and I think he is enjoying the TV life to much these days.

It doesn't feel like it's been 11 years since he walked out of the club. Everyone's moved on though. He's got his own thing going and hasn't shown any inclination to get back into management whatsoever.

It would be fantastic to recreate the glory years but it's not going to happen.  :nope:

The sooner people accept this the better.

Hasn't watched a game of football since leaving Man City, how on earth do you expect him to be a good judge of talent, he'll have no clue who's about.

Lost his passion for the game, doesn't care enough for all the s*** that goes with it anymore, quite happy doing his soccer circus.

could not agree more my sentiments also .imho he has fell out of love with the way football is  now and the man city and england jobs have just about finished him off  but hey fookin stranger things have happened but i believe not in a million years .

We've got to stop living in the past with ideas like this - I agree with Wallace that some sort of PR/World Scouting role would be about the only thing KK would wish to do now..

We had some fantastic times under his managership, but we didn't win anything and that is the ONLY criteria of a successful big club - he set us up so that, had SBR come in when asked straight away, I reckon we WOULD have started winning things but it didn't happen.

I said before that we need a special kind of manager - someone who knows what the fans want, but also knows football ; someone young enough to BUILD A CLUB DYNASTY - NOT just a team that might get Euro football in 3 years and then get old ; we need someone who, although experienced, is ambitious and open to new ideas ; we need someone who is respected enough by the players to enforce discipline, but in a way that makes them respect him....its not too much to ask, is it..!!!????

Allardyce fails in several of the categories I have outlined, and people forget - he is 54 next October, just a couple of years younger than KK, who many are saying is 'past it'...

A person like Hiddink , whilst he would undoubtedly be a short-term success, would not be here for more than 2 years at most - we need long-term continuity, BUT - with someone in whom the fans, and the Board, have confidence enough to give 2 or 3 seasons because they can see the plan unfolding..Allardyce is not meeting that criteria, but the type of guy we want will not be available at this time.

It will be May before that type of guy is available - my choice, based in his record at two clubs, his age, the style of football his teams play, and the fact that he knows the NE, would be Tony Mowbray of WBA - but I wouldn't give him, or anyone else, the job until I was satisfied both from interview and references from previous employers, that he fitted the bill.

There are others, such as Pardew and Boothroyd, but Mowbray comes closest to what we need - promotion for WBA would seal my choice as worth a real go; Bruce Rioch, who took Boro through their Administration crisis in 1986 made Mowbray Capt at the age of 22 and is reputed to have said that if he had to Fly to The Moon, he would want Mowbray alongside(hence the name of Boro's Fanzine) - Rioch was a tough cookie, so that is no mean compliment.....

Guest kevin carrs gloves

We've got to stop living in the past with ideas like this - I agree with Wallace that some sort of PR/World Scouting role would be about the only thing KK would wish to do now..

We had some fantastic times under his managership, but we didn't win anything and that is the ONLY criteria of a successful big club - he set us up so that, had SBR come in when asked straight away, I reckon we WOULD have started winning things but it didn't happen.

I said before that we need a special kind of manager - someone who knows what the fans want, but also knows football ; someone young enough to BUILD A CLUB DYNASTY - NOT just a team that might get Euro football in 3 years and then get old ; we need someone who, although experienced, is ambitious and open to new ideas ; we need someone who is respected enough by the players to enforce discipline, but in a way that makes them respect him....its not too much to ask, is it..!!!????

Allardyce fails in several of the categories I have outlined, and people forget - he is 54 next October, just a couple of years younger than KK, who many are saying is 'past it'...

A person like Hiddink , whilst he would undoubtedly be a short-term success, would not be here for more than 2 years at most - we need long-term continuity, BUT - with someone in whom the fans, and the Board, have confidence enough to give 2 or 3 seasons because they can see the plan unfolding..Allardyce is not meeting that criteria, but the type of guy we want will not be available at this time.

It will be May before that type of guy is available - my choice, based in his record at two clubs, his age, the style of football his teams play, and the fact that he knows the NE, would be Tony Mowbray of WBA - but I wouldn't give him, or anyone else, the job until I was satisfied both from interview and references from previous employers, that he fitted the bill.

There are others, such as Pardew and Boothroyd, but Mowbray comes closest to what we need - promotion for WBA would seal my choice as worth a real go; Bruce Rioch, who took Boro through their Administration crisis in 1986 made Mowbray Capt at the age of 22 and is reputed to have said that if he had to Fly to The Moon, he would want Mowbray alongside(hence the name of Boro's Fanzine) - Rioch was a tough cookie, so that is no mean compliment.....

I agree with everything said here.

Guest johnson293

Me and my mate sat arguing today about what kind of job Kevin Keegan would do at Newcastle if he were to ever return.

He basically said:

Give KK £100m over 3 seasons and he'd have us challenging for the top 4 by the end of it and playing good football.

His argument was that he's a good judge of talent, could attract big games, would create a buzz on the stands, would be motivated to finish the job he started and that even though he lacks tactical awareness, he'd still do better here than Harry Redknapp is doing at Pompey and everyone's raving about him. He also said he did well at Man City and that he's better than or just as good as most of the managers outside of the top 4. He also said we could kill two birds with one stone by making Big Al his number 2 ready to take over one day, gives Shearer experience etc. and that "the Premiership can't be that hard outside of the top four if f****** Bolton did well". His words those ones.

He resigned everywhere he went., wouldn't stick it out.

Aye, and thats where your Mates argument falls flat!

While it's a nice idea, I don't think Keegan could/would have the same impact again as manager here.

I agree with soemthing said above - why not give big sam £100m to (try and) get the players he really wants, and then see how he does given a decent, reasonable amount of time?

I don't think it would work. He doesn't have the verve, or the infectious enthusiasm that he had when he was here. That counted for a lot. Because he was enthusiastic and motivated it rubbed off on the players, the fans and everyone connected with the club. I don't think the spark is there for him to do it again. He was a young, fresh (and perhaps naive) manager with us. Now he's seen the pressures of management, he's different, and he's walked away from management because of it.

Me and my mate sat arguing today about what kind of job Kevin Keegan would do at Newcastle if he were to ever return.

He basically said:

Give KK £100m over 3 seasons and he'd have us challenging for the top 4 by the end of it and playing good football.

His argument was that he's a good judge of talent, could attract big games, would create a buzz on the stands, would be motivated to finish the job he started and that even though he lacks tactical awareness, he'd still do better here than Harry Redknapp is doing at Pompey and everyone's raving about him. He also said he did well at Man City and that he's better than or just as good as most of the managers outside of the top 4. He also said we could kill two birds with one stone by making Big Al his number 2 ready to take over one day, gives Shearer experience etc. and that "the Premiership can't be that hard outside of the top four if f****** Bolton did well". His words those ones.

I basically said no no no, you never go back, we need to move on from KK etc. etc.

However I must confess, KK, 100m, Shearer by his side and 3 years could see us in the top 6 and playing decent football. 

Could it?

What do you think...

The best thing that comes out from HTT for ages.  I am all up for KK second spell.

He basically said:

His argument was that he's a good judge of talent, could attract big games, would create a buzz on the stands, would be motivated to finish the job he started and that even though he lacks tactical awareness, he'd still do better here than Harry Redknapp is doing at Pompey and everyone's raving about him. He also said he did well at Man City and that he's better than or just as good as most of the managers outside of the top 4. He also said we could kill two birds with one stone by making Big Al his number 2 ready to take over one day, gives Shearer experience etc. and that "the Premiership can't be that hard outside of the top four if fucking Bolton did well". His words those ones.

I basically said no no no, you never go back, we need to move on from KK etc. etc.

However I must confess, KK, 100m, Shearer by his side and 3 years could see us in the top 6 and playing decent football. 

Could it?

What do you think...

"tactical awareness" = biggest most overhyped phrase in football, used to signify needless tinkering and muddling around by managers, peddled by the press.

Play to strengths = "tactical awareness"

So many of these "tactically aware coaches" have put together teams that can't tie the laces of Keegans Newcastle team. Including ALL of our managers at Newcastle who have succeeded him, despite all of them "just being given loads of money".

• 2 weeks later...

Think its a non-starter, can't see KK ever returning to management or any top-level football position.

:)

Well at least we had sense 3 weeks ago.

Good luck to him but this is a step back. (Though I hope he does well!)

Guest elbee909

100 million over 3 seasons is nothing,we need 100 million spent in one go to give us any chance of closing the gap.

Closing the gap is not on the agenda.

It really depends on what you would consider as success for Keegan this time around.

It will never be like it was the last time.  The footballing world has changed so much since then that, regardless of how good Keegan is and how much he spends, it will be almost impossible to break into the top 4 for a few seasons.  If he rebuilds the squad, rebuilds confidence, gets some pride back into the club and hands over a top 6 club in a few years to someone who can maybe take the next step, then that's successful in my book.