The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redknapps assistant was just on Setanta and he said Redknapp is in a meeting about buying a player, He said he left earlier to try and persude a player to goto Portsmouth.

Smokescreen or is he buying the player for us!

It just doesnt make sense. Sacking Allardyce and bringing in Redknapp is replacing like for like. They're both dodgy dealers, who

have done reasonably well at smaller clubs. Spurs go for Ramos, Man City for Sven, Villa for O'Neill, all internationally proven

managers who have won titles . And we go for Harry. Madness absolute madness.

Would you rather have Strachan? :lol:

Midtable side = Midtable manager.

Is it just me, or is it a bit strange that the club has said absolutely NOTHING? All we've had is a small article saying that Allardyce has left on mutual terms, but that's it. I'm not complaining really, I think I'd rather have this than Shepherds gloating, just think it's a bit odd

It just doesnt make sense. Sacking Allardyce and bringing in Redknapp is replacing like for like. They're both dodgy dealers, who

have done reasonably well at smaller clubs. Spurs go for Ramos, Man City for Sven, Villa for O'Neill, all internationally proven

Yeah but the same goes for Spurs, City and Villa. They're mid-table clubs and they did not get "mid-table managers".

By the way, I don't think you can compare O'Neill and Strachan, as O'Neills track record in England is much better. He won the

League Cup at Leicester. Strachan sent Coventry down and played a big part in Southampton's relegation.

Yeah but the same goes for Spurs, City and Villa. They're mid-table clubs and they did not get "mid-table managers".

By the way, I don't think you can compare O'Neill and Strachan, as O'Neills track record in England is much better. He won the

League Cup at Leicester. Strachan sent Coventry down and played a big part in Southampton's relegation.

steve mcclaren won the league cup...its hardly a headline on a cv...i'd rather a prospective manager just had decent consistent prem form than a league cup win

We've got three separate threads focused on information gleaned from SSN, but do we have any reason at this point to believe any of it?  The two main sources for the Redknapp stuff appear to be SSN and Anal - both seriously lacking credibility.  Everyone else, including officials at both clubs and other ancillary figures, is saying or intimating there's nothing on.

Until I see something a bit more official, I'm not convinced 'Arry is the main target.

steve mcclaren won the league cup...its hardly a headline on a cv...i'd rather a prospective manager just had decent consistent prem form than a league cup win

But I don't think just "decent consistent prem form" is enough.  We need some ambition and need someone with good consistent top-3 top-league form in one of the major European competitions.  Someone who has consistently kept their club in the top 3 in one or more of Spain, Germany, Netherlands, France, Portugal.  Surely of the 7 or so leading European competitions someone who has kept their club at or near the top consistently can be tempted by a 5mil per year pay packet.

But I don't think just "decent consistent prem form" is enough.  We need some ambition and need someone with good consistent top-3 top-league form in one of the major European competitions.  Someone who has consistently kept their club in the top 3 in one or more of Spain, Germany, Netherlands, France, Portugal.  Surely of the 7 or so leading European competitions someone who has kept their club at or near the top consistently can be tempted by a 5mil per year pay packet.

I doubt it.

I don't think those kind of managers need the pressure, the money or the potential career ruining job.

Its good for 'Arry as it is a potential step up, we are a sleeping giant and for him he was little to lose.

I'm not deliberately trying to piss on your bonfire, just trying to be realistic :) 

But I don't think just "decent consistent prem form" is enough.  We need some ambition and need someone with good consistent top-3 top-league form in one of the major European competitions.  Someone who has consistently kept their club in the top 3 in one or more of Spain, Germany, Netherlands, France, Portugal.   Surely of the 7 or so leading European competitions someone who has kept their club at or near the top consistently can be tempted by a 5mil per year pay packet.

Exactly, forget the O'Neill League Cup thing, the point I was trying to make is that clubs that are/were in the same situation as

ourselves, i.e Spurs and Man City, went for proven managers who have managed big clubs and have succeeded at big clubs.

So if these clubs can go for that type of manager so can we. Even f***ing Birminghan City showed more ambition than us by

approaching Lippi and Jol.

But I don't think just "decent consistent prem form" is enough.  We need some ambition and need someone with good consistent top-3 top-league form in one of the major European competitions.  Someone who has consistently kept their club in the top 3 in one or more of Spain, Germany, Netherlands, France, Portugal.   Surely of the 7 or so leading European competitions someone who has kept their club at or near the top consistently can be tempted by a 5mil per year pay packet.

I doubt it.

I don't think those kind of managers need the pressure, the money or the potential career ruining job.

Its good for 'Arry as it is a potential step up, we are a sleeping giant and for him he was little to lose.

I'm not deliberately trying to piss on your bonfire, just trying to be realistic :) 

Yeah, I get that.... but I think there are plenty of other clubs who's supporters heap even more pressure on their managers.  Just look at some of the Spanish clubs and how nuts their supporters are.

To a certain extent my cynicism over Harry extends to looking at this guy, 61 years of age, probably starting to dream of the quiet life, potentially looking to a club with a history like ours thinking he rides us for 6 months on a huge pay cheque, does shite, gets himself fired and ka-ching, retires on a nice nest-egg. (I know that ultra cynical, but thought I'd put it out there).

I really do think now is the right time to push for a top-flight manager.  We have new club management in place that has real business acumen, who is putting a whole new regime in place and who's entire purpose for owning the club relies on it being successful on the pitch.  They are prepared to put up money, have consolidated the financial position of the club and are prepared to put the right conditions in place for the club to succeed.  I think we could attract a top-flight manager if only we tried.

I think to an extent the club is so down on itself its like the shy little boy who gets picked on hanging out at the local disco, he's got his hands in his pockets running his toe across the floor just praying not to be noticed, day-dreaming of getting it on with the hot blond chick with the big tits.  But he's so chicken shite of asking her to dance that hes doomed to be left dancing with the fat chick with the 2nd hand polka-dot dress and the 1960's style braces.  We need to grow some balls as a club and as supporters and demand the best!

Redknapp doesn't need the money. He's living a nice quiet, semi-retired existence on the south coast. I'd be surprised at his ambition if he came, tbh, as it's a headache he doesn't need.

Absolutely spot on, why the f**k would he come here for a headache.

The mind boggles

Ego.

Well i've resigned the fact that he'll be coming!

So I guess i'll be right behind Harry!

One plus point is he knows how to play one touch football, and under Big Sam we would have got nothing like that even with new signings.

So if he does take it then i'll be doing the lambeth walk every day until we get beat!