The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He spent 30m in the summer and they're only a few points ahead of us.

That's me won over.

Barring the £6m on Nugent, the rest has been very well spent. (£7m Muntari, £7m Utaka, £2m Diop, £3m Johnson, Distin Free...) He only spent £3m more than Allardyce, and before we get the "ooh, but the net spend blah blah", he didn't have big saleable assets to sell in the first place in the way we could get in £12m from Parker & Dyer.

and at least redknapp cottoned on to the fact that nugent was shite very early on, allardyce meanwhile thinks smith is captain material after half a season of shite. i'm far happier with redknapp getting a warchest than i would be about allardyce getting the same.

Nice to see you warming to the idea, Johnny. O0

What do you think Baggio about the whole thing?

I'm quite happy about it, like everyone else I'd have preferred someone like Mourinho but I knew realistically it wasn't going to happen.

I think Allardyce has been a dead man walking since the takeover, they gave him a chance to show he deserved the job and I think they would have backed him if he'd done better, the football he's had us playing has been terrible though and at times it looked like he wanted the sack with some of his bizarre decisions.

I'm optimistic not just because we've got Redknapp, but because Ashley has got his own man and I think the club will move on from here, I think Kaka made a good point about Ashley telling Redknapp to get the team playing as entertaining football as he can and I think he'll do that, with money behind him I think he can put together a team to match Sir Bobby's for entertainment.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the shit teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here, his team play alot like Villa but are more physically impressive with their size and strength.

As I've said a few times tonight, I can see him proving a few people wrong on here, he'll get my support.

Good post.

Feel the same, its why i asked, one of the more level headed posts flying about ATM.

Man ... I feel almost embarrassed to say it now but I think Harry would be really good. I expected some people to be dissapointed but this is a shocking reaction. I hope if he is appointed that he is at least given some initial support. If we get behind him I honestly think he could be great for the club.

Please give him a chance.

Yes.

But...I was supporting Allardyce. I supported him. I wasn't happy with the football.  Hell I supported Roeder and Souness. What am I going to do? Not give him -- whoever he is -- a chance.

The point for me is not that they fired Sam. It is they did it in the middle of the season. I am so sick of this crap. Another false start.

That's me won over.

Barring the £6m on Nugent, the rest has been very well spent. (£7m Muntari, £7m Utaka, £2m Diop, £3m Johnson, Distin Free...) He only spent £3m more than Allardyce, and before we get the "ooh, but the net spend blah blah", he didn't have big saleable assets to sell in the first place in the way we could get in £12m from Parker & Dyer.

and at least redknapp cottoned on to the fact that nugent was shite very early on, allardyce meanwhile thinks smith is captain material after half a season of shite. i'm far happier with redknapp getting a warchest than i would be about allardyce getting the same.

I'm quite happy about it, like everyone else I'd have preferred someone like Mourinho but I knew realistically it wasn't going to happen.

I think Allardyce has been a dead man walking since the takeover, they gave him a chance to show he deserved the job and I think they would have backed him if he'd done better, the football he's had us playing has been terrible though and at times it looked like he wanted the sack with some of his bizarre decisions.

I'm optimistic not just because we've got Redknapp, but because Ashley has got his own man and I think the club will move on from here, I think Kaka made a good point about Ashley telling Redknapp to get the team playing as entertaining football as he can and I think he'll do that, with money behind him I think he can put together a team to match Sir Bobby's for entertainment.

He's bought a lot of physically dominant players with plenty of pace at Pompey, the sort that can play the shit teams off the park and boss the better teams about too, he's also got the balance right throughout which is something Allardyce never looked like doing here, his team play alot like Villa but are more physically impressive with their size and strength.

As I've said a few times tonight, I can see him proving a few people wrong on here, he'll get my support.

Good post.

Feel the same, its why i asked, one of the more level headed posts flying about ATM.

It's possible to be very disappointed but not foaming at the mouth though.

That's me won over.

Good post.

I don't usually do in-betweens its a new concept, i rather like it!  :blush:

I can't believe the reaction from some here, it's like it was the second coming of Roeder or Souness!

FWIW I think in a year's time you'll be thanking your lucky stars you got him.

Yeah.  Swap him for your manager, would you?

For Ramos, no.

But if it was still Jol in the hot seat, yes, absolutely.

That's me won over.

Good post.

Baggio/Kaka,

I don't think many are saying categorically Harry will fail. What is being said that the timing is suspect and the lack of ambition is clear.

Everyone has their own opinion but I'm sick of people saying "give him a chance". How many managers do we have to appoint where we start off thinking "give him a chance". The bloke is garbage, he's 60 years old and been managing for what 20 years and the best club he's ever had is Portsmouth/West Ham! Is that the level we're at? What has he won? Has he been in Euope more than once?

We've just got rid of a manager who did a better job than Redknapp at a small club with less funds. We can all be selective about signings as you could argue Allardyce bought Speed, Anelka, Diouf and Okocha. All good footballers! This is not to defend Allardyce but he did buy flair players too, who's to say he would not have done that here?

Two clubs who in my opinion are smaller than us are Spurs and Man City and look at the managers they have got! We get 50,000 odd fans every home game and take thousands away and we end up with Redknapp! We're much better than that, I can't believe what some people will accept!

Just think about our managers since Robson who was the last guy to have a decent CV, we've had Souness, Roeder, Allardyce (I was in favour of him) and now possibly Redknapp. Tell me another club in Europe who gets the crowds we get who have had such average managers?

You see what's happening in this thread is classic displacement thinking from the likes of Kaka (not you personally) and others.

Which is 'we're not over the moon about Redknapp but hey he might get to buy some players we like'...

Seriously what is the f****** point?

That's harsh man and not fair at all.

Harry has shown this season that if he gets enough good players together he can have them performing at a high enough level to have some success. In my opinion the only thing that team lacks is a real goalscorer. Had they succeeded in signing anelka or Yakubu in the summer they would have been a very serious threat to the top 4.

People say he's a side step, but I would appreciate something more concrete. What exactly do you think he does poorly.

All I see is a manager who manages players well, does well in the transfer market, and now having assembled a decent team is actually having some success with them.

So what are his specific flaws? We easily pointed out Allardyces, what are Redknapps?

So what's changed in two days then? Fucking nothing.

We've got the same level of manager that we've had before. Only this time he gets to spend some money.

But oh wait, he's going to have to do all that shit that Allardyce has been doing for the past 6 months as well. So say hello to rebuilding the squad, say hello to bringing in new staff and say hello to not scoring at home! What an era, I'm excited already!

Im gutted. I feel like I did when we appointed Souness. Another few years of nothingness for us then. Im all with giving managers time, but when they are so obviously the wrong appointment, I hope they fail as quick as possible so we can get round to starting over again before too much damage is done.

Only the right manager should be given time, Sam was that right manager. Totally gutted tonight.

You see what's happening in this thread is classic displacement thinking from the likes of Kaka (not you personally) and others.

Which is 'we're not over the moon about Redknapp but hey he might get to buy some players we like'...

Harry has shown this season that if he gets enough good players together he can have them performing at a high enough level to have some success. In my opinion the only thing that team lacks is a real goalscorer. Had they succeeded in signing anelka or Yakubu in the summer they would have been a very serious threat to the top 4.

People say he's a side step, but I would appreciate something more concrete. What exactly do you think he does poorly.

All I see is a manager who manages players well, does well in the transfer market, and now having assembled a decent team is actually having some success with them.

So what are his specific flaws? We easily pointed out Allardyces, what are Redknapps?

TBh Harry hasn't shown anything in hiw whole carrer I'm remotely interested in.

If by the time you are 60 you can't spot the odd player and know how to manage player expectations and needs then your'e not trying.

Nothing he does is ground breaking.

He might be slightly better than SA in some aspects, but is this what all this was really about??

I'm astounded.

If it is him I wish him the best, but really will never understand this move.

Everyone has their own opinion but I'm sick of people saying "give him a chance". How many managers do we have to appoint where we start off thinking "give him a chance". The bloke is garbage, he's 60 years old and been managing for what 20 years and the best club he's ever had is Portsmouth/West Ham! Is that the level we're at? What has he won? Has he been in Euope more than once?

We've just got rid of a manager who did a better job than Redknapp at a small club with less funds. We can all be selective about signings as you could argue Allardyce bought Speed, Anelka, Diouf and Okocha. All good footballers! This is not to defend Allardyce but he did buy flair players too, who's to say he would not have done that here?

Two clubs who in my opinion are smaller than us are Spurs and Man City and look at the managers they have got! We get 50,000 odd fans every home game and take thousands away and we end up with Redknapp! We're much better than that, I can't believe what some people will accept!

Just think about our managers since Robson who was the last guy to have a decent CV, we've had Souness, Roeder, Allardyce (I was in favour of him) and now possibly Redknapp. Tell me another club in Europe who gets the crowds we get who have had such average managers?

Exactly!

That's me won over.

Good post.

Baggio/Kaka,

I don't think many are saying categorically Harry will fail. What is being said that the timing is suspect and the lack of ambition is clear.

Just to categorically qualify... :razz:  Aye, i've said that i'm disappointed with the whole situation, which i am, but i haven't said that we're now doomed to failure and i have said that i'll back Harry should he be appointed (and i'm not referring to my recent thread). What Parky has outlined here is where i'm falling behind on the whole deal.

In relation to the dumping of one manager and paying him out millions to obtain another with the exact same qualifications I have the following public announcement to make:

:crazy2:

That's me won over.

Good post.

Baggio/Kaka,

agree, some bad shit on the part of mort and ashley imo. and even tho redknapp may still do well here you have to question the process that led to them apparently choosing redknapp. was it a rigorous analysis of a robust shortlist featuring some of the top names available, or was it picking a bloke you know through friends, who you once spent a day with at royal ascot and who has a smashing if somewhat indulgent taste in red wine.

Got west ham to europe.

nurtered young talent such as defoe, cole and lampard.

Avoid relegation.  Can spot a bargain, knows how to use a transfer window.

Not afraid to gamble on a foreign player

Got west ham to europe.

nurtered young talent such as defoe, cole and lampard.

Avoid relegation.  Can spot a bargain, knows how to use a transfer window.

Not afraid to gamble on a foreign player

Is ths seriously the criteria?