Will we get dragged in to a Relegation Battle? *NO FIXTURE LISTS PLEASE*

hakka
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Posted this in the match thread, but gonna post it in here and all, so I don't have to keep reading the utter bollocks that people spout in there whenever we lose - is there anything worse than the match thread after a defeat!?!? - anyway:

It's pretty simple really.

The team's confidence is very very fragile and their fitness is also not up to scratch. We start games well and at a good tempo, but we can't keep it going into the second half and when the other team comes back into the game we don't have either the heart or strength to cope with it. Once one goal goes in then our heads go down and it's almost inevitable that more will follow. What people on here are either ignoring - or simply to f****** stupid to see, perhaps - is that our good periods are getting better and lasting longer, progress is being made.

At the moment it's not important how badly it goes wrong once it's gone tits-up, it's all about what happens before that point. What we really need is to manage to grab a couple of goals when we're playing well at the start of a game and then scrape home to a win. Once we've done that, you'll see the confidence come flooding back into the team and I reckon we'll go on a bit of a run towards the end of the season. However it's going to take a while and it could go wrong if the players stop believing that it's going to happen. KK will have his work cut out to keep their morale up and if you see us start a game like we've been finishing them, that's when we should start to really worry. For once the fans do actually have a real chance to make a positive difference and hopefully the people who seem to love nothing better than wallowing in our own crapness, by booing the team at the earliest opportunity and going way over the top on here, will either shut up or suffer some unfortunate accident.

Yeah, we're poor at the moment, but we're getting better, there are still positives to be seen.

Confidence and attitude is probably 40-50% of the problem.  We also have to recognize that this is a shockingly poor team - when we eventually get rid of half our players you won't see them again at this level. 

Hysterics don't do anyone any good, but if we manage to survive this season, drastic, expensive action has to be taken.

In the mean time, I think we need about 9 points.  Anywhere will do.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, we need serious work doing in the summer, but it's not as bad as many people seem to think. A lot of people on here love nothing better than a doom-laden hysterical rant about how we're guaranteed to go down, I some times wonder what these saddos would do if we ever became successful, probably wouldn't know what to do with themselves and would jump off the Tyne bridge just to feel "normal". Some of the people who claim to follow this football club really are retards, I wonder if every team has the same problem, they almost certainly do, but ours seems to be a bigger problem than most.

Posted this in the match thread, but gonna post it in here and all, so I don't have to keep reading the utter bollocks that people spout in there whenever we lose - is there anything worse than the match thread after a defeat!?!? - anyway:

It's pretty simple really.

The team's confidence is very very fragile and their fitness is also not up to scratch. We start games well and at a good tempo, but we can't keep it going into the second half and when the other team comes back into the game we don't have either the heart or strength to cope with it. Once one goal goes in then our heads go down and it's almost inevitable that more will follow. What people on here are either ignoring - or simply to f****** stupid to see, perhaps - is that our good periods are getting better and lasting longer, progress is being made.

At the moment it's not important how badly it goes wrong once it's gone tits-up, it's all about what happens before that point. What we really need is to manage to grab a couple of goals when we're playing well at the start of a game and then scrape home to a win. Once we've done that, you'll see the confidence come flooding back into the team and I reckon we'll go on a bit of a run towards the end of the season. However it's going to take a while and it could go wrong if the players stop believing that it's going to happen. KK will have his work cut out to keep their morale up and if you see us start a game like we've been finishing them, that's when we should start to really worry. For once the fans do actually have a real chance to make a positive difference and hopefully the people who seem to love nothing better than wallowing in our own crapness, by booing the team at the earliest opportunity and going way over the top on here, will either shut up or suffer some unfortunate accident.

Yeah, we're poor at the moment, but we're getting better, there are still positives to be seen.

Confidence and attitude is probably 40-50% of the problem.  We also have to recognize that this is a shockingly poor team - when we eventually get rid of half our players you won't see them again at this level. 

Hysterics don't do anyone any good, but if we manage to survive this season, drastic, expensive action has to be taken.

In the mean time, I think we need about 9 points.  Anywhere will do.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, we need serious work doing in the summer, but it's not as bad as many people seem to think. A lot of people on here love nothing better than a doom-laden hysterical rant about how we're guaranteed to go down, I some times wonder what these saddos would do if we ever became successful, probably wouldn't know what to do with themselves and would jump off the Tyne bridge just to feel "normal". Some of the people who claim to follow this football club really are retards, I wonder if every team has the same problem, they almost certainly do, but ours seems to be a bigger problem than most.

I agree, well said Indi.

We'll squeak through, even if we only pick up a single point between now and the end of the season. This is my inexpert opinion based on absolutely nothing but blind faith and the performances of the teams below us. Yet I am confident it will prove correct.

2006/2007

18th place side went down with 38 points (17th place also had 38 points)

2005/2006

18th place side went down with 34 points (17th place had 38 points)

2004/2005

18th place side went down with 33 points (17th place had 34 points)

2003/2004

18th place side went down with 33 points (17th place had 39 points)

2002/2003

18th place side went down with 42 points (17th place had 44 points)

2001/2002

18th place side went down with 36 points (17th place had 40 points)

2000/2001

18th place side went down with 34 points (17th place had 42 points)

2006/2007

2005/2006

2004/2005

2003/2004

2002/2003

2001/2002

2000/2001

Need about 36 points then, based on the average of those going down being 35.

8 points from the 36 remaining.

2006/2007

2005/2006

2004/2005

2003/2004

2002/2003

2001/2002

2000/2001

Need about 36 points then, based on the average of those going down being 35.

8 points from the 36 remaining.

Worrying  :undecided:

Guest Knightrider

I think we are in one now and while I don't think we will, we can't ignore what we are and where we are, least of all those around us.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

I can pretty safely say that you wont get relegated. No matter how poorly you play, as Ive said before, there will be at least 3 teams that finish below you. The thing that will save you, if you really do believe that you are in a relegation scrap is how unbelievably poor the teams below you are.

2006/2007

2005/2006

2004/2005

2003/2004

2002/2003

2001/2002

2000/2001

And to think the press/fans/pundits always say you need 40pts for survival, once in the past 7 seasons a team has been relegated on more than 38pts. And this season wont be any different. We need 5 more points IMO, Fulham, Reading, scum, are the best chance for those points.

Doom laden, maybe yes, but saddos and retards is a bit strong a description to call very concerned and realistic supporters.

Doug.

Exactly right, Doug - all some blind optimists can do is shoot the messenger ; the facts are there for all to see and I reckon its going to need 37 points to be sure of escape - perhaps the ones who think its impossible would like to give a forecast of where those points are coming from after such a comprehensive defeat by Villa who were without their best player and supposedly on a bad run...?

Today was an example of why we'll not go down. Sure, Sunderland & Boro picked up points to reel us in, but can you honestly see Birmingham, Wigan & Reading doing the same?

Doom laden, maybe yes, but saddos and retards is a bit strong a description to call very concerned and realistic supporters.

Doug.

Exactly right, Doug - all some blind optimists can do is shoot the messenger ; the facts are there for all to see and I reckon its going to need 37 points to be sure of escape - perhaps the ones who think its impossible would like to give a forecast of where those points are coming from after such a comprehensive defeat by Villa who were without their best player and supposedly on a bad run...?

So are you saying you expect Wigan, Reading AND Birmingham to each win 5 of their remaining games?

3 wins will comfortably keep us up. Just a f*cking shambles we're even thinking about that.

It's been said on here before but I think one of things that is worrying is the closer we get the more the players will begin to shit it and feel the pressure, whereas the teams below are not 'used to it' but more well equipped to deal with it imo.