Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Nice little segment on ITV at the start of today's Euro's coverage. Unbelievable watching it how we had the privilege of having him as part of our history. 

It focused on his time at Hamburg and how he embraced the new culture, especially learning the language well enough to engage in conversation with the local community as well as media. 

Watching 5 minutes of him reminded me of Bruno being here, personality and engagement combined.

Edited by frankpingel
Sp

26 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Nice little segment on ITV at the start of today's Euro's coverage. Unbelievable watching it how we had the privilege of having him as part of our history. 

It focused on his time at Hamburg and how he embraced the new culture, especially learning the language well enough to engage in conversation with the local community as well as media. 

Watching 5 minutes of him reminded me of Bruno being here, personality and engagement combined.

That's low - now I'm imagining Bruno being managed by Keegan

45 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Remember Barry on auf wiedersehen pet saying something similar about Keegan 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Paully said:

Literally the summer that changed of course of history for NUFC. Without KK’s arrival that summer the current era wouldn’t be happening. The most important person in the club’s history, no question.

I never tire of watching this goal. I was just slightly too young to have been there but I have stood on those Gallowgate terraces a lot. And even though there have been some packed in crowds on there in my time, I don’t think they were ever as jammed tight as they looked on the day of KK’s debut. I’d love to know how many were squashed into the Gallowgate that day.

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

Literally the summer that changed of course of history for NUFC. Without KK’s arrival that summer the current era wouldn’t be happening. The most important person in the club’s history, no question.

I never tire of watching this goal. I was just slightly too young to have been there but I have stood on those Gallowgate terraces a lot. And even though there have been some packed in crowds on there in my time, I don’t think they were ever as jammed tight as they looked on the day of KK’s debut. I’d love to know how many were squashed into the Gallowgate that day.

Well I was, there and squashed. Strongest memory of the day (unfortunately) is being squashed against the wall beside the turnstiles as police horses tried to walk through the jam packed masses waiting to get in. Oh! And some arsehole trying to spit a mouthful of cider at one of the ‘Mounties’ and only succeeding in drenching my hair and face. 

Gallowgate for me. What a crush outside, remember queueing for ages to get in. Think it was 50p to get in in those days !

I was in the Gallowgate. On my own as a boy of 12. Can’t imagine many 12 years olds  these days saying “I’m just away up the town for the match mam” and just being waved off!

Just now, RS said:

I was in the Gallowgate. On my own as a boy of 12. Can’t imagine many 12 years olds  these days saying “I’m just away up the town for the match mam” and just being waved off!

I went to Sunderland away with a mate when we were 12. Football Special train too, cannot imagine I'd let my own kids or grandkids anywhere near that now.

8 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Had my usual spot in the West Paddock for the day. Changed my preferred place to the Scoreboard for the next couple of years. 

Incredible times. 

The Corner for me until about 87 when I transferred to the more genteel Milburn paddocks. Great memories.

1 minute ago, frankpingel said:

I went to Sunderland away with a mate when we were 12. Football Special train too, cannot imagine I'd let my own kids or grandkids anywhere near that now.

First away for me was Blackburn. Think I was about 15. My Mam wasn't too happy. In those days the hooligan element was horrific of course, something parents don't need to worry about too much in 2024, thankfully.

Easy the most packed Gallowgate I've been in,there was mad surges going on despite the concrete crush barriers, a turnstile gadgie or 2 might have had a decent shift. Electric occasion and the goal still gives me a rush every time I see it 

54 minutes ago, RS said:

I started going to away matches on my own when I was 15. When I look at 15 year olds these days it's unfathomable to me that I was doing that at their age. Literally trusted by my parents to go to the other end of the country on my own, on the supporters club buses, in the age of football hooliganism too. And I never got into any scrapes at all, although there were a few hairy moments at some places. [emoji38]

Milburn West Paddock for me KK’s debut.

Side note, my dad got a ballot ticket for the ‘74 cup final (when you collected tokens from the match program). He gave it to my older 14 year old brother who went on his own. He’d also got to go to the home leg of the Fairs Cup Final. I still struggle with the envy.

What a day that KK debut was. I hung on the advert hoardings at the back of the gallowgate near the scoreboard (hence my user name), in the very appropriate  blazing sunshine. The sun shone on the toon in more ways than one that day. A simply unbelievable signing. It just wouldn't sink in for days that it was really happening. 

As some others have mentioned, I did my 1st away game with a mate at 15 also. At Carlisle in KKs 1st season although he was missing after getting an eye injury in a testimonial v Boro. Might have been Howard Gayles debut that day? Sure he was playing anyway.

Edited by Scoreboard82

Centre paddock of the old wooden west stand for me where it was a lot easier to move. me Dad would take me and me Brother before work got in the way for him and me and me bro started going by ourselves aged 12  and 14.

The Gallowgate in which we watched the crush, sways and limbs from afar, soon became our haven. The Carlisle Easter Monday 5-1 game being our first before the Derby 4-0 promotion 99% clincher following on soon after.

One thing I dont miss tho is the sound of the heavy feet during a crowd surge and the whistle of a rocket or other firework around bonfire night time because it was a lottery in to which area of the Gallowgate it would drop in. panic ensured.

Happy days looking back