Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

• 3 months later...

That's the first time I've ever heard that song.

Same. Honestly the open training sessions were some of my best days out as a kid, getting autographs and photos with the players, it's a massive shame how any sort of connection between players and fans has been lost.

Same. Honestly the open training sessions were some of my best days out as a kid, getting autographs and photos with the players, it's a massive shame how any sort of connection between players and fans has been lost.

Used to love going down to Maiden Castle as a kid. I Used to take my premier league sticker book down with me and get the players to sign their stickers. Loved it.

Used to love going down to Maiden Castle as a kid. I Used to take my premier league sticker book down with me and get the players to sign their stickers. Loved it.

Did my UG degree at Durham - went there almost every day. It was amazing watching Asprilla, Ginola, Shearer, Ferdinand etc. from literally a few yards away.

Did my UG degree at Durham - went there almost every day. It was amazing watching Asprilla, Ginola, Shearer, Ferdinand etc. from literally a few yards away.

I've loads of photos of that squad a neighbour give me who used to be down there weekly. Nothing exciting but might upload them one day.

Was reading the Martin Hardy book this summer and was looking at one of the open training session photos and was pretty surprised to see an 11 year old me there with my family.

Guest thenorthumbrian

And the sense of optimism which surrounded the club has been lost entirely.

We really believed we were on our way to competing with the best in England and the best in Europe and we got pretty close to it.

Now mid-table is seen as a success.

• 2 weeks later...

KK speaks out. :thup:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-going-nowhere-its-too-6907827#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Sport Football Newcastle United FC

Newcastle going nowhere as it's 'too big a stage for those players' says Geordie hero Kevin Keegan

22:30, 26 NOV 2015

BY JOHN CROSS

Ex-England boss who played for and twice managed the Magpies paints bleak picture as he claims the Toon Army are too loyal for their own good

Toon legend Kevin Keegan has delivered a damning verdict on Newcastle after claiming the club is “going nowhere.”

Keegan, a hero on Tyneside after playing for the Magpies and having two spells as their manager, says the St James' Park club is simply too big for some of the existing squad, who find themselves languishing just one point above the relegation zone.

They face a trip to Crystal Palace this weekend, and defeat at Selhurst Park could see Steve McClaren’s men slip into the bottom three.

“This club’s going nowhere at the moment and that’s very sad," said Keegan.

“I don’t think he (McClaren) realised how poor the squad was when he took over. Those players remind me of when I took over all those years ago when they were in the second division. The players’ biggest problem was the club was too big for them.

“That’s a massive stadium to come out in.

"For some people, it makes you grow — for the right players, the Shearers, Ginolas, people like that, that I had they just grew in it, but these players are shrinking in it.”

Keegan led Newcastle to within touching distance of the Premier League title in the 1990s after taking over when they were in the second tier.

Magpies fans turned on their players last weekend after booing them off following the home defeat to Leicester but Keegan claimed any other set of supporters would have given up on Newcastle YEARS ago.

The Magpies' predicament is heartbreaking for the former Liverpool star and ex-England boss — one of the few people to have given them hope after decades of underachievement.

Now they are stuck in the middle of yet another depressing season which has ended up in a relegation scrap and Keegan admits it breaks his heart for the fans.

“The supporters want to see players having a go and relate to them and I don’t think they can with this team,” said Keegan in an interview with beIN Sports.

“Sadly, they won’t stop coming to games. I think if ever they did boycott a game completely, I think it would get the stronger message across.

“But they can’t do it, the Geordies. Every time they think they’re going to do it they think, 'What do I do? I always go to the game’, and they turn up.”

Keegan described the Leicester defeat as “terrible” while praising Claudio Ranieri’s Foxes for showing the sort of spirit which Newcastle lack.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley spent big last summer, paying around £50m combined for Aleksandar Mitrovic, Georginio Wijnaldum, Florian Thauvin and Chancel Mbemba.

The hope former England boss McClaren would turn around the club has also turned into a huge disappointment.

Newcastle's summer spending on likes of Mitrovic has yet to pay off

McClaren has struggled to improve results, looks under huge pressure and knows that results must improve as the club cannot afford relegation.

Ashley gambled last summer in the hope that big investment would reap rich rewards and keep them in the top flight to earn the spoils from the next Premier League TV deal.

But Keegan claims McClaren has been left “shocked” by how bad the squad is, and might have even been fooled by the club talking up their chances this season despite flirting with the drop last time.

He says McClaren needs to do some deep thinking about how he can turn it around - before Newcastle sink any lower.

Keegan added: “I don’t think he (McClaren) realised how poor the squad was, when he took over, I think he thought, if you read the stuff coming out of Newcastle and their own publicity, they’ve got all these top players — most of them French, but some from Holland as well.

“And I think he thought with the right sort of training - and he is a good coach as well, there’s no doubt about that - they would start the season running.

“I think it’s been a big shock to him. I think now he’s going home in his car... wherever he lives, I hope it’s a long drive, because he’s got a lot of thinking to do.

“You can be the best coach in the world, but if you haven’t got the players - and it’s all about players - then you can’t turn them in to world beaters.”

Sadly, KKs words will fall on deaf ears and after losing to him in that court case, Ashley is even more likely to continue his awful stewardship of the club if he reads all this.

KK is totally correct, but whilst there are people like these players and McClaren, who know they are on a good thing or in the last chance saloon are still with the club, nothing will change.

“Sadly, they won’t stop coming to games. I think if ever they did boycott a game completely, I think it would get the stronger message across".

Just wish more people would get their heads around this. As long as 47,000+ are turning up every week Ashley doesn't need to change a thing. If his team is playing to an empty stadium every week he needs to change everything. Hopefully the happy clappers will take heed of Keegans wise words.