Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest Howaythetoon

Warren Barton was expensive as f***.

He was but he was regarded as the best right-back in the country at the time and over the course of his Toon career I'd like to think he represented good value for money.

Its a myth that we were this big spending club bankrolled by a sugar daddy at the time. Blackburn, Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal all spent more than we did.

The likes of Villa and Spurs were not far behind either.

Guest Howaythetoon

Madras, KK was actually best when he didn't have much money to spend. All his best buys for us and Man City were not for big money.

thats what I've been saying.

Ah right.

Still it goes against the cheque-book manager persona/myth anyway.

The years he was here were simply the best i've ever had supporting this club.  We didn't fear anyone.  The football was scintillating, SJP was rocking like i've never heard, we were just f***ing good.

If you weren't supporting then you can't imagine it.  Think of going to eastlands today and not only hoping to win but expecting to.  He inspired a team and a city.  He took us from the depths of relegation to division 3 to within a gnats tadger of the title.  We were invincible, we were Newcastle United.

I'd give my right bollock to have that again.

I actually had a look back at that season as I knew the media version of Keegan having a breakdown after Fergusons mind games and then blowing a 12 point lead is overly simplified bollocks, but it was still all a long time ago now:

Our home form was imperious for the whole season:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWLWWWWD

Away we were consistently average after a gentle run of fixtures at the start where we won the first 4 out of 5:

WWLWWDDDLLWWLDLLLWD

Man U were 12 points behind us before they beat us 2-0 in December. That was the start of a run where they won 15 of their final 19 games. We could match that form at home but KK’s team didn’t ever quite get to that level away from home.

They had 2 class players who had been and done it all at each end of the pitch and I recall they carried them at times:

In the 2nd half of the season Schmichael kept 13 clean sheets, and they won 7 games 1-0. I’ll bet Cantona was the scorer in about 5 of those games as well.

It’s easy to forget how it really panned out in the final couple of months of the season. Heres how it went week by week after that home defeat to that Cantona goal:

1 Newcastle United  28 +26 61

2 Manchester United 29                 +27 60

1 Manchester United 30               +27 61

2 Newcastle United  28               +26 61

1 Newcastle United  29               +29 64

2 Manchester United 30               +27 61

1 Newcastle United    29 +29 64

2 Manchester United  31 +28 64

1 Manchester United  31 +28 64

2 Newcastle United    30 +27 64

1 Manchester United  32 +29 67

2 Newcastle United    30 +27 64

1 Manchester United  32 +29 67

2 Newcastle United    31 +26 64

1 Manchester United  33 +30 70

2 Newcastle United    32 +27 67

1 Manchester United  34 +31 73

2 Newcastle United    33 +26 67

1 Manchester United  35 +29 73

2 Newcastle United    33 +26 67

1 Manchester United  35 +29 73

2 Newcastle United    34 +27 70

1 Manchester United  36 +30 76

2 Newcastle United    35 +28 73

1 Manchester United  37 +35 79

2 Newcastle United    35 +28 73

2 Newcastle United    36 +29 76

2 Newcastle United    37 +29 77

1 Manchester United  38 +38 82

2 Newcastle United    38 +29 78

In Keane’s book he says they knew there was no way back for us after their win at SJP, but looking at that we were right there until the point they stuffed Forest 5-0 in their 37th match of the season. The goal difference that gave them was the first time there was any real daylight between us.

After finally getting a clear advantage Fergie went and wound up the Leeds team, although we actually got a rare win away from home against them.  KK then had his rant after the match and it’s gone down in history as a “meltdown”.  It just didn’t happen like that. Ferguson got a reputation as being a “master of the mind games” off the back of that. I’d hardly call it masterful.

After playing Leeds on Monday night we had to play Forest on the Thursday (while Man U put their feet up) and Woan fired in a 75th min equaliser from miles out. There is not a manager in the game today who would not go beserk about player tiredness in that situation. We then went on to play Spurs on the Sunday, and that turned out to be a dead rubber anyway.

In the end they were slightly better than us, and we were also a bit unlucky, but I genuinely don’t think it’s fair on KK to say he bottled it that year, and I’m certainly not one of those who says he can never do any wrong.

Great post but also the 12 point lead, Man Utd had 2 games in hand.  Granted they had to win them but Man Utd winning 2 games isn't a difficult task for them

Another fact of that season that gets over looked, we had very little experience of winning the title, Man Utd had a number of years of winning and also once blew it themselves to Leeds the last season before the Premier League kicked off.  They had experience on their side.

We came, close, very close.

KEVIN Keegan has refused to rule out a third spell as Newcastle United boss.

<snip>

Would rather he didn't come back, leave his legacy as it is.

Unfinished business.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watched the first one today at my brother's, the man fucking oozes passion and love for us. He is basically one of us, a fan. Love him to bits.

He'd still be a great manager now imo, no doubt. He connected with players on a personal level through inspiration and you don't lose that. Football's changed but you could have said that when he took over the first time. It's always changing.

Exactly.  I think he could do wonders with our current squad.

Great post but also the 12 point lead, Man Utd had 2 games in hand.  Granted they had to win them but Man Utd winning 2 games isn't a difficult task for them

Another fact of that season that gets over looked, we had very little experience of winning the title, Man Utd had a number of years of winning and also once blew it themselves to Leeds the last season before the Premier League kicked off.  They had experience on their side.

Indeed, if anyone froze or bottled anything, it was Man U two seasons ago who were seven points up with equal games played with just seven games to go.

In those seven games they managed to draw a game they were winning 4-2 with ten minutes to go, and put in an insipid and honestly timid performance against their nearest and dearest in their derby. They barely managed a shot on goal in that game. The remaining points were lost against Wigan of all people. They lost the title on goal difference, but ironically goal difference lost in the first derby where it looked like suspiciously like they had given up at the 90 minute mark.

The whole point of this is that the above happened with the players experienced at winning and the most successful manager of the modern era. Do not fall for simple narratives from journalists that paint everything in absolutes, if not in black and white.

Indeed, if anyone froze or bottled anything, it was Man U two seasons ago who were seven points up with equal games played with just seven games to go.

In those seven games they managed to draw a game they were winning 4-2 with ten minutes to go, and put in an insipid and honestly timid performance against their nearest and dearest in their derby. They barely managed a shot on goal in that game. The remaining points were lost against Wigan of all people. They lost the title on goal difference, but ironically goal difference lost in the first derby where it looked like suspiciously like they had given up at the 90 minute mark.

The whole point of this is that the above happened with the players experienced at winning and the most successful manager of the modern era. Do not fall for simple narratives from journalists that paint everything in absolutes, if not in black and white.

Well Man City very nearly bottled it as well. The two clubs seemed to be taking it in turns to falter. There's always going to be more pressure on the front runner, and less on the chaser.

But over the years, despite the odd slip, Fergie proved himself better than anyone at closing a lead out, or renewing the energy and motivation of his side after they'd won a title. Despite all the success, he managed to send his teams out with the mentality of a battling underdog.

Having been away on holiday in the UK for the past month, I felt that there was a feeling of apathy, if not defeatism, among many people I know who are NUFC fans ; hardly surprising when Ashley is clearly prepared to accept a mediocre manager in the shape of Pardew as long as the club stays in the PL.

The thought of KK returning as manager is one that people should banish under this regime and by the time the club changes hands - IF that ever happens in the next few years - KK will be getting too old to do the job as he once did. I have no doubt that, right now, he is still capable of lifting the current side to a level we can only dream of under Pardew but he is unlikely to get the chance - nor would he take it if it entailed working under Llambias, in my opinion.

We are going to become a replica of Villa under Ellis, with a large section of fans wanting the owner removed because they feel restricted under his control ; for those with short memories, Eliis hung on for many years and to give him credit, at least Villa won a couple of trophies under his ownership which we are unlikely to do under Ashley and Llambias.

KK's managership - esp the first period - was a golden spell in the club's mediocre recent history and in my opinion, will remain something that those who witnessed it treasure because it was like reaching an oasis in a VERY dry desert.

Although nothing should ever surprise in football, I would be gobsmacked if KK was to return for a third time , esp under this regime.

The table when Keegan resigned, we were 4th on 38 points, level with Man Utd.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/1996-1997/table/1997-01-11

Look at Wimbledon man!

We had a game in hand over Liverpool and after thrashing Spurs 7-1 and Leeds 3-0 I'm sure we would have went close to the title again, especially if we strengthened in Jan. We had more losses than Man Utd at that point but our form was decent.

Aye, they'd have been top if they'd won their games in hand!

Imagine if we'd replaced Keegan with their manager rather than Dalglish, things might have been so different.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Yep - we could have been class if they let him have his way.

It's such a shame but he'll always be a legend in my eyes.