Keegan wants three players in the window, ready made prem stars

Guest Toon83

I don't think we will go down especially when the African lads return, so I wouldn't like to see a panic buy now, maybe a couple of loan players to bolster the numbers. At least this way KK can asses the squad properly and target new players from now until pre-season.

Guest Guinness

It looks highly unlikely that we're going to sign anyone. I find it a bit concerning because I don't believe we have much quality in the side and a couple of injuries could really fuck us up.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3083188,00.html

Uggh!... but of course he is right. Always hurts hearing it though, just looking forward to the window closing so we can get on with the rest of the season, and try and salvage some pride of what is left.

"Tottenham can offer him the chance to play in a cup final, they are in Europe - and the only way we're going to get into Europe is if we get on a ferry."  :lol:

Uggh!... but of course he is right. Always hurts hearing it though, just looking forward to the window closing so we can get on with the rest of the season, and try and salvage some pride of what is left.

"Tottenham can offer him the chance to play in a cup final, they are in Europe - and the only way we're going to get into Europe is if we get on a ferry."  :lol:

:lol: Class

apologies if repeat post.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Newcastle boss Keegan promises 'Wow' signing

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan says if he is to make a signing this week it will force everyone to sit up and take notice.

"There's an evens chance of us getting one player in this week," Keegan told the Sunday Sun.

"To get two in now we'd be swimming the Channel, I think.

"But you never know, we might surprise ourselves and the last week of the transfer window invariably sees clubs make decisions which make you think: 'Wow, I never expected that.'

"We're only looking at Premier League players. We're not looking to bring anyone in from abroad unless they were really world-class and established, and invariably they don't come around in this transfer window."

Even Dimitar Berbatov has been mentioned as a possible target, despite a price tag of at least £30 million.

When asked about the Bulgarian star, Keegan insisted: "I wouldn't rule anybody out. We're looking at every team and I`m sure everybody else is looking at our players as well."

----------------------------

I guess Van Buten is ruled out as he`s not `world class and established`

and who exactly is looking at our players? :D

:lol: Class

His honesty is refreshing. Most managers in his situation would say we would still be pushing for Europe even though we all know its a lost cause.

cant really see why noone here wants gudjohnsen! looking back on his chelsea days, he was one of the best players in the league playing in that role between midfield and striker. massive work rate, strong, pacey, good finisher, he would be the best forward here (if obas form is still shite) and probably not to expensive either.

on the woodgate case :p, quality comment by Keegan here :p made me laugh at least!

"Tottenham can offer him the chance to play in a cup final, they are in Europe - and the only way we're going to get into Europe is if we get on a ferry."

hehe, next year we will take a flight! :p

cant really see why noone here wants gudjohnsen! looking back on his chelsea days, he was one of the best players in the league playing in that role between midfield and striker. massive work rate, strong, pacey, good finisher, he would be the best forward here (if obas form is still s****) and probably not to expensive either.

barca were wanting more than 8m in the last transfer window

Right so his quotes are telling us foreigners are out, so its premiership players?

Who the feck are they then?

Its not gonna be anybody from the big 4, no-one from spurs due to the cup final, so who?

For the love of gawd I just hope its Bentley, can't think of anyone we have a chance of/could get!

apologies if repeat post.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Newcastle boss Keegan promises 'Wow' signing

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan says if he is to make a signing this week it will force everyone to sit up and take notice.

"There's an evens chance of us getting one player in this week," Keegan told the Sunday Sun.

"To get two in now we'd be swimming the Channel, I think.

"But you never know, we might surprise ourselves and the last week of the transfer window invariably sees clubs make decisions which make you think: 'Wow, I never expected that.'

"We're only looking at Premier League players. We're not looking to bring anyone in from abroad unless they were really world-class and established, and invariably they don't come around in this transfer window."

Even Dimitar Berbatov has been mentioned as a possible target, despite a price tag of at least £30 million.

When asked about the Bulgarian star, Keegan insisted: "I wouldn't rule anybody out. We're looking at every team and I`m sure everybody else is looking at our players as well."

----------------------------

I guess Van Buten is ruled out as he`s not `world class and established`

and who exactly is looking at our players? :D

Wishful thinking! Doubt it will happen

Right so his quotes are telling us foreigners are out, so its premiership players?

Who the feck are they then?

Its not gonna be anybody from the big 4, no-one from spurs due to the cup final, so who?

For the love of gawd I just hope its Bentley, can't think of anyone we have a chance of/could get!

Danny Murphy 

buy – Butt

Jan 28 2008 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

NICKY Butt has warned Newcastle United they cannot skimp on quality during the January sales after apparently missing out on Jonathan Woodgate.

With his manager resigned to losing the Middlesbrough star to Tottenham Hotspur, Butt is anxious to see reinforcements arrive before Thursday’s midnight transfer deadline – but only if they are players who can improve the Magpies’ starting XI. Woodgate is reported to have passed a medical in north London yesterday and a three-and-a-half-year contract is expected to be signed imminently.

Saturday’s 3-0 FA Cup defeat at Arsenal left Newcastle with their season effectively over before their second trip to the home of the Gunners in four days, for tomorrow’s league clash. On hearing the news that 28-year-old Woodgate is bound for White Hart Late, Butt did little to hide his frustration. “It’s disappointing a player like Jonathan does not look like he is coming, but I’m sure the manager has plans in place just in case that happened,” said the midfielder, whose 88th-minute own goal rounded off a miserable afternoon on Saturday.

“He will have all the staff working on it and there are meetings all the time about who is being targeted. If Jonathan doesn’t want to come that is up to him. It’s a tight schedule for Kevin to get the deals done because he arrived late. But I’m sure he will be working hard on getting players.”

The ex-Manchester United player (pictured right) knows Keegan cannot resort to panic buys, however. “It’s no good getting players in who are no good to get into the team, we need players who can play week in and week out,” he warned.

Despite inspiring the Magpies to arguably their best performance of the season when watching from the St James’s Park stands against Stoke City, Keegan has failed to win either of his first two games in

charge. The other was a 0-0 draw with Bolton Wanderers. Butt felt the team’s approach was partly to blame for defeat on Saturday.

“We started well and had a couple of chances but then we lost all of our shape and collapsed, basically,” he explained. “We were too cavalier and that’s impossible to do when you are at the Emirates. We paid the price in the end. It’s frustrating we have not had the results to start right under the new manager, but we are all still laughing and joking in training.

“The manager has brought belief back into the team. You have to remember that you can come to Arsenal at any stage and struggle. We did look okay but then after the third goal went in we all went to bits and Arsenal showed what a good team they are.

“The manager has been very chatty, very bubbly around the place. He speaks to you individually and tells you what he expects of you. It’s disappointing at the moment because of the results we have had but we are all feeling very positive.”

Keegan retains an interest in Sevilla target Pascal Chimbonda and is understood to be monitoring Derby County midfielder Giles Barnes, but the prospect of no senior players moving to Tyneside this month is growing.

“It won’t be the end of the world if I get nobody,” said Keegan after the Arsenal game. “I think we’ve lost Woodgate, I would be delighted if I was wrong and I don’t think it’s set in stone yet but that’s my honest opinion. I would have been quite happy just to have him in this transfer window, that would have been enough for me.

“Spurs can offer the chance to play in a cup final, they’re definitely in Europe this year and they’re definitely in Europe next year because they’re playing Chelsea in the Carling Cup final. They can offer him that, which we can’t – unless we get a ferry!”

Sensible view by Butt i think but it shows the frustration the players must be feeling as well as we are

As far as chimbonda is concerned no thanks ,Barnes would be a great signing bags of skill and will be class imho.

I think Mort is what is holing back signings, not Keegan, he has named his targets and its up to the Chairman to sort the deals out by agree fee's and contracts. Kev may get very frustrated as Mort is not goigng to be as gung ho with the cash as Freddy was..

O think Mort is what is holing back signings, not Keegan, he has named his targets and its up to the Chairman to sort the deals out by agree fee's and contracts. Kev may get very frustrated as Mort is not goigng to be as gung ho with the cash as Freddy was..

If he is holding back then Keegan won't stick around that long.

I think Mort is what is holing back signings, not Keegan, he has named his targets and its up to the Chairman to sort the deals out by agree fee's and contracts. Kev may get very frustrated as Mort is not goigng to be as gung ho with the cash as Freddy was..

I reckon thats what happend with the Woodgate deal, the fee Mort would pay, it was th wages he would'nt pay.

I reckon thats what happend with the Woodgate deal, the fee Mort would pay, it was th wages he would'nt pay.

woodgate might not be the best example on which to judge mort...if he's half an ounce of sense he'd have insisted on something in the contract re: injuries and maybe pay as you play to a degree, or compensation, that sort of thing

presumably woodgate baulked at it?

the next target will be the one to judge probably....

woodgate might not be the best example on which to judge mort...if he's half an ounce of sense he'd have insisted on something in the contract re: injuries and maybe pay as you play to a degree, or compensation, that sort of thing

Oh aye mate, only time will tell, but time in this window is runnign out, so maybe we won't really know until the start of next season..

Oh aye mate, only time will tell, but time in this window is runnign out, so maybe we won't really know until the start of next season..

Fuck him and just go for Van Buyten much better tan woodgate at the moment