Dennis Wise interviewed on NUFC.co.uk (page 23)

Guest Toon83
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wasn't David Pleat DOF at spurs? That was the first british DOF...judge for yourself if that was a success or not!

That's what it said on the tin.  What it said on the tin and what you got in the tin weren't the same. 

How much was he paid?

£150k but it was a while back now.

Wasn't David Pleat DOF at spurs? That was the first british DOF...judge for yourself if that was a success or not!

That's what it said on the tin.  What it said on the tin and what you got in the tin weren't the same. 

How much was he paid?

oh man.. do you keep some sort of a database?

Guest Brendan_Rice

What a joke appointment not for the first time questions are raised over Chris Morts involvment in the club

why though? we dont even know what job he has been given, could be tea boy...i still think people would moan even if thats what his role was.

I think it is a very good appointment.  If memory serves me right last time Keegan was here he put all his efforts into the first team. The reserve team and the academy were neglected.

This appointment will be for Denis to look after anything not first team related which will let Keegan concentrate on the first team again and have someone with a bit of gumption manage the rest for him.

I think it will work out quite nicely.

I am struggling to understand how anybody can be either for or against this appointment as we don't know what his role or responsibilities will be within the framework of the club

Let's all chill until the club releases some more revealing info

Groovy man

As ever, people being employed by this club are being judged prematurely

Exactly,why not wait and see,does anyone really know or is everyone putting 1 and 1 together and coming out with eleventybillion?

No doubt what I'm going to say now might already have been mentioned! Can't believe Wise is coming to the club as he really doesn't offer that much, no tactical input, no great contacts in the game and no proven track record in the game! People might say how do I now that but just look at Leeds, none of their fans are too bothered about him leaving! Also he might have contacts in the game but primarily they will be British based so they will probably almost be the same contacts that Keegan has! Lets face it the pool of talent in the UK is not great and even then what's going is very expensive!

Don't know why we did not go for an outsider from outside the UK? With that we'd have someone who had a good knowledge of another country and also would probably be more familiar with the whole system of DOF. They may also have been able to have an input into the tactical side of things, had new ideas. I'm sure Keegan must know people from his days at Hamburg.

I know people are praising Ashley and Mort but so far I don't think they could have done much worse in their football decisions. First of all they didn't give Allardyce much money so I'm not really sure what they expected from him. Looking back I really think he was on a loser to nothing. Also and this is a big IF, if it was their idea to get Wise then have a think about it. Their first choice of people to run Newcastle would have been Harry Redknapp and Dennis Wise! beggars belief. One of the reasons I was so pleased that we got Keegan was that I did not have too much faith in them getting any one decent after the Redknapp affair.

I know people will say let’s see what happens but I just think we put up with so much crap, it's untrue. Here we are getting 52,000 fans (if we were in the top four we could get a lot more too) and this is what we get! Don’t even have to look at the top four, but look at Spurs and Man City. For my money they have a much better set up than ours in every department, just a crying shame!

It looks to me like the only way we will have any success under Keegan and Ashley is if we spend a huge sum of money. Parky mentioned a figure of £100 million a few weeks back and that’s what I really think it will take for us to be where we want to be because so far it looks like our strategy is to get in people who are good motivators and have “passion”. Passion will only get you so far but nowhere near where we ought to be.

There's also been mention of the mysterious agents/advisers who have an influence. This al reminds me of the guy at Chelsea who advises Ambramovich, Pinni Zahavi. How these people get where they are, I'll never know!

I think keegan would have been made fully aware of what the plans were for this club.  He may not have known about wise being appointed, but I would guess he was told of all the appointments within the club that ashley wanted before he agreed to be manager.  It's probably just the lack of information been given by the club to the media thats sending everyone in to this frenzy, and understandbly so.  I think when we here the official stance we may think, hmm that makes a bit of sense.  They got their first choice right, I have confidence in them that they are doing the right thing.

What a joke appointment not for the first time questions are raised over Chris Morts involvment in the club

why though? we dont even know what job he has been given, could be tea boy...i still think people would moan even if thats what his role was.

I think it is a very good appointment.  If memory serves me right last time Keegan was here he put all his efforts into the first team. The reserve team and the academy were neglected.

This appointment will be for Denis to look after anything not first team related which will let Keegan concentrate on the first team again and have someone with a bit of gumption manage the rest for him.

I think it will work out quite nicely.

This is what I'm hoping for as well and it's how I assume the set-up will work.

I do concede that Dennis Wise seems a very odd choice for such a role, but I suppose only time will tell.

No doubt what I'm going to say now might already have been mentioned! Can't believe Wise is coming to the club as he really doesn't offer that much, no tactical input, no great contacts in the game and no proven track record in the game! People might say how do I now that but just look at Leeds, none of their fans are too bothered about him leaving! Also he might have contacts in the game but primarily they will be British based so they will probably almost be the same contacts that Keegan has! Lets face it the pool of talent in the UK is not great and even then what's going is very expensive!

Don't know why we did not go for an outsider from outside the UK? With that we'd have someone who had a good knowledge of another country and also would probably be more familiar with the whole system of DOF. They may also have been able to have an input into the tactical side of things, had new ideas. I'm sure Keegan must know people from his days at Hamburg.

I know people are praising Ashley and Mort but so far I don't think they could have done much worse in their football decisions. First of all they didn't give Allardyce much money so I'm not really sure what they expected from him. Looking back I really think he was on a loser to nothing. Also and this is a big IF, if it was their idea to get Wise then have a think about it. Their first choice of people to run Newcastle would have been Harry Redknapp and Dennis Wise! beggars belief. One of the reasons I was so pleased that we got Keegan was that I did not have too much faith in them getting any one decent after the Redknapp affair.

I know people will say let’s see what happens but I just think we put up with so much crap, it's untrue. Here we are getting 52,000 fans (if we were in the top four we could get a lot more too) and this is what we get! Don’t even have to look at the top four, but look at Spurs and Man City. For my money they have a much better set up than ours in every department, just a crying shame!

It looks to me like the only way we will have any success under Keegan and Ashley is if we spend a huge sum of money. Parky mentioned a figure of £100 million a few weeks back and that’s what I really think it will take for us to be where we want to be because so far it looks like our strategy is to get in people who are good motivators and have “passion”. Passion will only get you so far but nowhere near where we ought to be.

There's also been mention of the mysterious agents/advisers who have an influence. This al reminds me of the guy at Chelsea who advises Ambramovich, Pinni Zahavi. How these people get where they are, I'll never know!

Some fair points. Hamburg still love KK that's for sure.

The £100m over two windows is obviously a rough figure, but it is going to take something like that to get sides to fear us once again.

I had just convinced myself that KK was a step in the right direction but must admit the Wise thing has thrown me.

so much wrong in that.

if we get a DOF (which hasn't been confirmed thats what wise'll be doing yet)fro a foreign country isn't it likely he'll have knowladge of that country alone as thats what you imply about having an english one ?

each club on the continent uses DOF's differently,some have more say than others,some the head coach dictates the purchases at some they don't.

the advisors who you don't know how they get where they are, a bit like scouts in that even the best are relativly anonymous.

my guess is that someone reckons they have sen something in wise that he can bring here in the same way without having the great reputation someone saw something in wenger when he was merely a coach

How much was he paid?

oh man.. do you keep some sort of a database?

Fairly common knowledge.  The decimal point went into the wrong place in the contract tbh.

Do you know anything about Jeff Vetere, Jol?

Not a lot to be honest.  I know Arnesen was keen to get him on board when he was at Spurs, went to Real about a year ago.  That's about it.

I saw someone was wondering about the wisdom of asking Kemsley about Newcastle footballing matters.  Nothing to worry about on that score. PK would never stitch up MA, guaranteed.

Must be in the minority here having read most of the bile written, but im actually excited by this. sure people are reacting like its ernie wise being appointed. but id say at least 95 percent of people have a clue about dennis wise or how he works as a person or coach, not many less are even interested in giving him a chance. he has obviously met everyone and we were impressed enough to think he will revel in his role, which for the record no one knows. its all part of a structure we never had

I know people will say lets see what happens but I just think we put up with so much crap, it's untrue. Here we are getting 52,000 fans (if we were in the top four we could get a lot more too) and this is what we get! Dont even have to look at the top four, but look at Spurs and Man City. For my money they have a much better set up than ours in every department, just a crying shame!

It looks to me like the only way we will have any success under Keegan and Ashley is if we spend a huge sum of money. Parky mentioned a figure of £100 million a few weeks back and thats what I really think it will take for us to be where we want to be because so far it looks like our strategy is to get in people who are good motivators and have passion. Passion will only get you so far but nowhere near where we ought to be.

so much wrong in that.

if we get a DOF (which hasn't been confirmed thats what wise'll be doing yet)fro a foreign country isn't it likely he'll have knowladge of that country alone as thats what you imply about having an english one ?

each club on the continent uses DOF's differently,some have more say than others,some the head coach dictates the purchases at some they don't.

the advisors who you don't know how they get where they are, a bit like scouts in that even the best are relativly anonymous.

my guess is that someone reckons they have sen something in wise that he can bring here in the same way without having the great reputation someone saw something in wenger when he was merely a coach

What's so wrong with what I said?

The way I see football people is that everyone knows generally about what is going on at the top level in each country but not too much at other levels of the game. So I imagine that Newcastle will know about most players in the top leagues in Europe  but not too much below that. So for example if we got a German DOF then he would have expert knowledge of German football and have a whole set of contacts that could be used to our effect. Contacts that we don't have at the club! Look at Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. All of them take advantage of the foreign element to their football setup. To be honest there would be nothing wrong at getting a DOF who did not know too much about English football as we should have that well and truly covered! It would also bring in fresh ideas.

The thing I have against the advisers is that they have no history of knowing about football. That's why you end up with laughable people like Grant at Chelsea and possibly Redknapp getting the Toon job! At least with scouts  a lot of them will have been ex players or have dedicated their lives to football!

I cannot believe your comparing Wise to Wenger, yes Wenger had to start somewhere and without knowing his history before Monaco I imagine he would have got where he did through his own brilliance and also hard work. He earned the right to be where he is. I couldn't say that about Wise!

Not a lot to be honest.  I know Arnesen was keen to get him on board when he was at Spurs, went to Real about a year ago.  That's about it.

I saw someone was wondering about the wisdom of asking Kemsley about Newcastle footballing matters.  Nothing to worry about on that score. PK would never stitch up MA, guaranteed.

i'm looking through real madrid fans forums to find anyone saying "el fucking hello. ee was at hhhhharlton achleteec so ee musta be sheet. eef ee were not sheet ee wood be at meelan or manhhhester "

Doing a google, I see he was in the States as a Coerver Skills Coach.  Not surprised by that tbh, our skills coach is another follower of Wiel Coerver.  Also saw that Vetere had been Charlton's Overseas Scouting Co-Ordinator and left on 31 December 2006.

I can remember reading that this Wise appointment was on the radar about two weeks ago but frankly forgot about it. So if it was in the papers then I can't imagine that Keegan knew nothing about it. They would have told him at his "interview". Wise will be in the background, doing whatever he is employed to do. I can't understand the hysteria tbh, or the negativity towards Mort and Ashley. It's a bit out of the ordinary and some people on here are having a nervous breakdown?

Chill people. In Ashley we trust.

Doing a google, I see he was in the States as a Coerver Skills Coach.  Not surprised by that tbh, our skills coach is another follower of Wiel Coerver.  Also saw that Vetere had been Charlton's Overseas Scouting Co-Ordinator and left on 31 December 2006.

charlton went on a bit of a tie-up spree while he was in charge, forging links with teams from spain to china via ivory coast. can't immediately think of any good young foreigners they acquired during that time tho. here is a bit about that http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/Overseas1.ink

another article about him:

It's Nothing Nou For Vetere

JEFF Vetere's career in football has taken him from the cut-and-thrust of the local Kent League to the splendour and glory of the Nou Camp stadium.

He has an unquestionable ability to judge a footballer, but Charlton's new overseas scouting co-ordinator admits he has a much simpler secret to his success. "I think people underestimate the value of talking to fans and locals," he revealed.

advertisement

"If I'm watching an obscure game in Norway where all the players are low profile, people like taxi-drivers and waiters are good for getting the low-down on a player and often the general consensus about a player can be an accurate guideline."

Vetere, a former Luton Town apprentice, is of Italian parentage and is fluent in both Italian and Spanish. He left a coaching/scouting post at Vauxhall Conference side Rushden and Diamonds to join Charlton three months ago.

He explained: "Virtually everyone is looking to follow the example set by the big clubs. It is now extremely rare to find a club in one of the major European leagues without an active scouting network.

"I was part of the meeting which arranged Charlton's pioneering link with Internazionale and I found out they have nine full-time international scouts constantly flying all over the world."

The 33-year-old scout recently organised a highly publicised trial for Nigerian international Tijani Babangida at Charlton's Sparrows Lane training ground.

But, as he explained, the selection process is not without direction from the management team: "If I like a player, I will write my report and submit it to Keith Peacock, but I have to work to guidelines.

"Alan Curbishley and Keith will then decide whether the squad needs strengthening in that position, get a second opinion, and ask me to organise a trial.

"But there are a lot of hurdles to overcome. If the player is one of the strongest in his team, it means he is a difficult player to get a trial for. It's like another club trying to get our Scott Parker on trial - you have to be careful."

Vetere, who was a youth coach at Charlton four years ago, is aware he could be accused of bringing in "foreign merce-naries" ahead of home-grown youngsters.

He said: "I understand the club's English identity is very important, but if you want to keep on developing you have to give yourself as much scope to improve as you can.

"Charlton's hard-working academy department is as good as I've ever seen as, like everyone else, its strives to produce players. I also think it is important for youngsters to look up to the highly technical foreign players playing in the Premiership."

charlton went on a bit of a tie-up spree while he was in charge, forging links with teams from spain to china via ivory coast. can't immediately think of any good young foreigners they acquired during that time tho. here is a bit about that http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/Overseas1.ink

another article about him:

It's Nothing Nou For Vetere

JEFF Vetere's career in football has taken him from the cut-and-thrust of the local Kent League to the splendour and glory of the Nou Camp stadium.

He has an unquestionable ability to judge a footballer, but Charlton's new overseas scouting co-ordinator admits he has a much simpler secret to his success. "I think people underestimate the value of talking to fans and locals," he revealed.

advertisement

"If I'm watching an obscure game in Norway where all the players are low profile, people like taxi-drivers and waiters are good for getting the low-down on a player and often the general consensus about a player can be an accurate guideline."

Vetere, a former Luton Town apprentice, is of Italian parentage and is fluent in both Italian and Spanish. He left a coaching/scouting post at Vauxhall Conference side Rushden and Diamonds to join Charlton three months ago.

He explained: "Virtually everyone is looking to follow the example set by the big clubs. It is now extremely rare to find a club in one of the major European leagues without an active scouting network.

"I was part of the meeting which arranged Charlton's pioneering link with Internazionale and I found out they have nine full-time international scouts constantly flying all over the world."

The 33-year-old scout recently organised a highly publicised trial for Nigerian international Tijani Babangida at Charlton's Sparrows Lane training ground.

But, as he explained, the selection process is not without direction from the management team: "If I like a player, I will write my report and submit it to Keith Peacock, but I have to work to guidelines.

"Alan Curbishley and Keith will then decide whether the squad needs strengthening in that position, get a second opinion, and ask me to organise a trial.

"But there are a lot of hurdles to overcome. If the player is one of the strongest in his team, it means he is a difficult player to get a trial for. It's like another club trying to get our Scott Parker on trial - you have to be careful."

Vetere, who was a youth coach at Charlton four years ago, is aware he could be accused of bringing in "foreign merce-naries" ahead of home-grown youngsters.

He said: "I understand the club's English identity is very important, but if you want to keep on developing you have to give yourself as much scope to improve as you can.

"Charlton's hard-working academy department is as good as I've ever seen as, like everyone else, its strives to produce players. I also think it is important for youngsters to look up to the highly technical foreign players playing in the Premiership."

He must have been some good otherwise he wouldn't have wound up at Real!!  It seems like he left soon after Curbishley, maybe he could see the writing on the wall.  The fact is that since those two left Charlton, the club's movement has been backwards.

From the Times just now:-

"Dennis Wise quits Leeds to sign up for Newcastle revolution

Matt Hughes

Dennis Wise will be confirmed as the new general manager of Newcastle United today as the centrepiece of a significant restructuring of the club.

In the biggest changes since Mike Ashley bought Newcastle last summer, The Times can reveal that Tony Jimenez, a London-based property developer, will join the board as a vice-president and Jeff Vetere, a scout for Real Madrid, will be appointed as technical director to complete a continental-style management structure working in support of Kevin Keegan.

Keegan has been aware of Ashley’s plans to create a multi-tiered management team since he returned to the club as manager a fortnight ago, but had little say over its composition. It is understood that Wise, the Leeds United manager, was already being lined up before he was appointed. “I am very happy [about the situation],” Keegan said yesterday after further discussions with Chris Mort, his chairman. “That’s a fact.”

Leeds confirmed yesterday that they had agreed a compensation package with Newcastle for Wise and he will leave after preparing the team for tonight’s Coca-Cola League One match against Southend United at Roots Hall.

Keegan resumed talks with Alan Shearer last night about the former Newcastle captain taking up a part-time position � probably coaching the forwards � but Shearer will not be offered a senior role within the new structure. Wise’s appointment should not affect those discussions, however, as his remit will not include coaching and he will be primarily charged with identifying talent and buying players in the manner of a director of football. Wise and Vetere will make the initial assessment before calling in Jimenez to do the deal, though Newcastle insist that Keegan will have the final say.

While many Newcastle fans will be stunned at the recruitment of such a controversial character as Wise, it is even more surprising that he has chosen to abandon his management career after mounting an impressive promotion challenge with Leeds, despite the handicap of a 15-point penalty.

The Times understands, however, that Wise has told friends he no longer wants to be a manager after becoming disillusioned with the job since the departure of Gustavo Poyet, his assistant, to Tottenham Hotspur. His new position will also enable him to spend more time at the family home in Buckinghamshire as he will not be required to move to the North East.

Wise will work closely with Vetere and Jimenez, who was intimately involved in his appointment and whose work for the club will be formalised when he is appointed in a part-time position today. Although his background is in property, the Spanish-speaking Jimenez is well connected in football and has a reputation as an astute deal-maker, helping to bring Juande Ramos to Tottenham as head coach before beginning work for Newcastle late last year.

Jimenez has known Wise since the latter’s playing days at Chelsea a decade ago and the pair have maintained a close friendship.

Vetere will also have a crucial role because, in contrast with Keegan’s first period in charge, when he scrapped the reserve team, Newcastle are pinning their hopes on youth development, hoping to follow the successful models in place at Arsenal and Seville by filling their academy with the best players from all over the world.

The multilingual Vetere began his career as a youth-team manager at Rushden & Diamonds, but he was appointed overseas co-ordinator at Charlton Athletic by Alan Curbishley, who also took him to West Ham United before Vetere left for Real.

On another remarkable day on Tyneside, Keegan confirmed that Joey Barton, who is on bail over an assault charge, is set to be named on the substitutes’ bench for tonight’s league fixture away to Arsenal. Barton was residing at the Sporting Chance clinic in Hampshire but now has a nightly curfew at his North East home at 7.30pm, except on match days. “His football has to do his talking now,” Keegan said."

"In the biggest changes since Mike Ashley bought Newcastle last summer, The Times can reveal that Tony Jimenez, a London-based property developer, will join the board as a vice-president and Jeff Vetere, a scout for Real Madrid, will be appointed as technical director to complete a continental-style management structure working in support of Kevin Keegan."

Wah wah wah, the knee jerk hand wringing on this forum is unbelievable.

It amazes me why so many on here are getting their panties in such a fucking wad over a change in the club structure people have been banging on about for years.

I know people will say lets see what happens but I just think we put up with so much crap, it's untrue. Here we are getting 52,000 fans (if we were in the top four we could get a lot more too) and this is what we get! Dont even have to look at the top four, but look at Spurs and Man City. For my money they have a much better set up than ours in every department, just a crying shame!

It looks to me like the only way we will have any success under Keegan and Ashley is if we spend a huge sum of money. Parky mentioned a figure of £100 million a few weeks back and thats what I really think it will take for us to be where we want to be because so far it looks like our strategy is to get in people who are good motivators and have passion. Passion will only get you so far but nowhere near where we ought to be.

so much wrong in that.

What's so wrong with what I said?

The way I see football people is that everyone knows generally about what is going on at the top level in each country but not too much at other levels of the game. So I imagine that Newcastle will know about most players in the top leagues in Europe  but not too much below that. So for example if we got a German DOF then he would have expert knowledge of German football and have a whole set of contacts that could be used to our effect. Contacts that we don't have at the club! Look at Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. All of them take advantage of the foreign element to their football setup. To be honest there would be nothing wrong at getting a DOF who did not know too much about English football as we should have that well and truly covered! It would also bring in fresh ideas.

The thing I have against the advisers is that they have no history of knowing about football. That's why you end up with laughable people like Grant at Chelsea and possibly Redknapp getting the Toon job! At least with scouts  a lot of them will have been ex players or have dedicated their lives to football!

I cannot believe your comparing Wise to Wenger, yes Wenger had to start somewhere and without knowing his history before Monaco I imagine he would have got where he did through his own brilliance and also hard work. He earned the right to be where he is. I couldn't say that about Wise!

realistically those clubs mentioned have a better scouting system and players are prepared to bend over to play for them.thats why they get them from all over,not just the home nation of a member of the backroom staff.

advisors....the advisors we are talking about vetere, has been involved in football throughout his life and jiminez was instrumental in getting ramos to spurs.

yes i'll compare wise to wenger at the appropriate stage of their careers. what i'm driving at is that sometimes someone sees something (imagine telling people 20 years ago what wenger would go on to do ?) and that job works (think keegan telling you barry venison would play central midfield for england when we just signed him)

i'm not sure about bringing wise in only because i don't know what his role is ? i have no idea of his capabilities unlike some on here who really should be running the club.

Surely this set-up represents some of the most forward thinking we've seen at this club for a long while?

Whether it will be a success or not is obviously impossible to say, but at least we seem to be moving with the times here. No pun intended.