Dennis Wise interviewed on NUFC.co.uk (page 23)

Guest Toon83
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All very interesting indeed, sounds like  BIG plan by Mort and Ashley, I am starting to settle a bit now :lol: this is not sounding to bad, I wonder who else they are looking at, Adams and Pearce for the same kind of roles?

All very interesting indeed, sounds like  BIG plan by Mort and Ashley, I am starting to settle a bit now :lol: this is not sounding to bad, I wonder who else they are looking at, Adams and Pearce for the same kind of roles?

Fuck me, why not go the whole hog and bring Bryan Robson in when he gets bulleted too.

:rant:

f*** me, why not go the whole hog and bring Bryan Robson in when he gets bulleted too.

:rant:

Not my idea, irs already been ruomerd..

Look at other DOF's in England.

Comolli was a youth coach, and then a scout before becoming a technical director.

Arnesen was an assistant manager before becoming a DOF.

They both started from not very much. Wise has experience as a manager, plus several high quality contacts from his playing days. That is more than can be said of the other two.

This is actually a very ambitious and creative move. Britain doesn't do Director's of Football or technical directors. Those that are here are poached from the outside, and lets face it, not all clubs are going to be able to find one from another league.

This is the first genuine attempt to create a British DOF for a British club, and should be commended, even if it doesn't work out.

Comolli was Monaco's youth coach for a number of years, then got the job as chief european scout for Arsenal, did a fantastic job there, then moved on to being DOF at St. Etienne before moving to Spurs. Arnesen was Robson's assistant at PSV then DOF for ten years, discovering dozens of major talents and widely considered the best spotter of South American talent in europe. so by the time Spurs appointed those two they had far more experience and expertise in the role than Dennis Wise.

i couldnt care less what nationality the DOF is, in fact since there are very few, if any, british DOFs about it makes more sense to look abroad for one.

At the end of the day we can have as many executive managers, DOF, coaches, scouts and so on as long as Keegan picks the team and the team goes out and wins the match thats all that matters !

As for all the extra staff if its going to make Keegans day to day job easier then so be it, every person that comes to the club will bring with them a different experience and its up to Keegan and the club to draw from that experience and the skills they carry with them to take the club forward whether it be by proposing signings for the future, introducing new training method or how to make the team bond (Terry Mc :) )

Keegans job is first team manager and thats all that matter as long as he is left to do the job then surely no harm can be done.

Comolli was a youth coach, and then a scout before becoming a technical director.

They both started from not very much. Wise has experience as a manager, plus several high quality contacts from his playing days. That is more than can be said of the other two.

This is actually a very ambitious and creative move. Britain doesn't do Director's of Football or technical directors. Those that are here are poached from the outside, and lets face it, not all clubs are going to be able to find one from another league.

This is the first genuine attempt to create a British DOF for a British club, and should be commended, even if it doesn't work out.

Comolli was Monaco's youth coach for a number of years, then got the job as chief european scout for Arsenal, did a fantastic job there, then moved on to being DOF at St. Etienne before moving to Spurs. Arnesen was Robson's assistant at PSV then DOF for ten years, discovering dozens of major talents and widely considered the best spotter of South American talent in europe. so by the time Spurs appointed those two they had far more experience and expertise in the role than Dennis Wise.

i couldnt care less what nationality the DOF is, in fact since there are very few, if any, british DOFs about it makes more sense to look abroad for one.

Missed the point, Before Arnesen became DOF what was he - a nothing Assistant Manager no higher than John Carver for instance. Comolli is different, but I dont think anyone came through from his three years coaching Monaco under-16s, and in the end of the day it was wenger who signed the Arsenal players and not Comolli. So once more, when he became DOF at St. Etienne he didn't have much of a starting point.

Who are these brilliant DOF's out there who would drop everything to come to Newcastle. If you cant get one, why not build one? Thats what PSV and St. Etienne did.

You know we're tempting fate by re-appointing KK. This might be the appointment that crosses the line and makes the football gods angry.

Still as in the case of KK it's so left field it might work.

Come back Freddie, all is forgiven.

It is certainly starting to feel like a circus

Only to us as we are looking at it so emotionally. To Mort, he is just bringing in the people he thinks can do the job. Whether Wise can or cant remains to be seen but Mort has to make decisions detatched from all that.

Feeling will sharp change if the team/club improve.

We really have to stop being so small minded.

I'm not sure how it small minded to question the decision to bring in someone at DOF who has no experience at DOF?

Granted I am assuming that it is DOF and this may be wrong so perhaps I should wait and see but it really is a random choice from a man who has no football experience.

Small minded to quesiton the judgement of a man who has no football experience, in employing a man who has no experience of the role he is believed to have been given.

Well, at least we know we're not trying to be "everyone's favourite 2nd club" now.

Oh, and well done to all of those who will now try to spin this into a positive thing, because we are NUFC, and evreything we do is great.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Wise, Adams, Pearce !!

What is this, a cockney love in ?

Are our new owners determined to turn us into a pale imation chelsea or what.

Of all horrible cock-er-nies Wise is the most cock-er-ney and the most horrible.

Wise, Adams, Pearce !!

Of all horrible cock-er-nies Wise is the most cock-er-ney and the most horrible.

I agree, we need to go back to basics and bring some fucking Geordies in, get some pride back.

Someone get on the phone to Rob Lee, Warren Barton and Les Ferdinand quick!

Wise, Adams, Pearce !!

I agree, we need to go back to basics and bring some f****** Geordies in, get some pride back.

lol geordies ???

Wise, Adams, Pearce !!

I agree, we need to go back to basics and bring some f****** Geordies in, get some pride back.

lol geordies ???

Whoosh

Wise, Adams, Pearce !!

lol geordies ???

Whoosh

Na i got it just the wrong smiley :@

Missed the point, Before Arnesen became DOF what was he - a nothing Assistant Manager no higher than John Carver for instance. Comolli is different, but I dont think anyone came through from his three years coaching Monaco under-16s, and in the end of the day it was wenger who signed the Arsenal players and not Comolli. So once more, when he became DOF at St. Etienne he didn't have much of a starting point.

Who are these brilliant DOF's out there who would drop everything to come to Newcastle. If you cant get one, why not build one? Thats what PSV and St. Etienne did.

it is a meaningless argument to suggest that everyone started out somewhere. yeah, they do, and the only way you know if they are good or not is looking at their performance after a number of years. if you appoint someone at the start of their career as opposed to someone with a proven track record it is a complete stab in the dark. they might be good but there is no way of knowing so id rather not take the risk. Spurs didn't appoint Arnesen after he was Robson's assistant they appointed him after 10 successful years in the job. Likewise with Comolli.

if we use your logic we'd have appointed shearer, or speed, or beardsley as manager, after all, even Jose Mourinho started off as a measly translator. and aye, no one that was in the academy under Comolli flourished, only Henry and Trezeguet, so hardly anyone.

Somebodies got problems with them 'foreigners' from down south  :rolleyes:

I never knew it was a pre-requisite that you can't be a 'cock-er-ny' or what have you to be part of the setup of the club.

Wasn't David Pleat DOF at spurs? That was the first british DOF...judge for yourself if that was a success or not!

That's what it said on the tin.  What it said on the tin and what you got in the tin weren't the same. 

How much was he paid?

I can't believe for a second that this has been done behind Keegan's back. No way.

What confuses me is that Wise very much came across as a hands-on manager type, rather than a backroom DOF type.

It would be interesting to know how he and Butt get on. A few seasons ago, Wise managed to get Butt sent off. He tackled him and then pulled a hair out of his leg as he was lying on the ground, adding a few provocative words in the process. Butt reacted and got a red card.

We can only hope that Wise's off-field personality is hugely different from the on-field one.