Spurs sign Jonathan Woodgate

Leazes1986

From .com:

Incoming:

Woodgate on way back?

We hear that Jonathan Woodgate is on his way back to Tyneside after the player rejected an offer from Tottenham.

Confirmation had come on Friday that former Magpies defender Woodgate had been given permission by his club Middlesbrough to speak with Spurs over a transfer.

This followed a public statement from the Riverside on Thursday that no bids had been received for any of Southgate's smoggie squad at that point - amid media claims that Newcastle were looking at Woodgate.

Other sources claimed that Newcastle had enquired about the 28 year-old Teessider earlier this week, but thought he was over-valued at the allegedly-quoted £8m.

Should Woodgate return, it might have implications for Cacapa - current wearer of the no.6 shirt. When Woodgate left Newcastle for Real Madrid for £13.4m in August 2004, Freddy Shepherd declared that his shirt would be kept ready for his return.

We'll see....

ahh well, obviously my feelings on this depend on how fit he's gonna stay, still, it is nice to get another player that spurs wanted, just to piss them off, haha, expect even MORE press backlash now from all the spurs journo's

To be fair we are obviously paying him twice as much as they were willing to. Why else would he come here?

I just remember his debut vs. Chelsea at home.  I think it was Gronkjaer went bombing down the right and looked to be clean through, and Woody came across and timed his sliding tackle to perfection.  It was something we had been lacking for god knows how long.

If we can keep him fit, £7m is a snip.

Not sure if Woodgate has that sort of pace these days though. He was pretty nippy for us (on the rare occasion he played).

Keegan's signing of Fowler makes he have doubts about this one; but I suppose if it all goes tits up, we've only paid £3 million for him, when you consider the profit we had from his wilderness years.

Another club being prepared to fork out for him is a good sign, but Spurs were also prepared to take Duff off Chelsea's hands.

It's like Scrapheap Challenge with NUFC and THFC.

He is a cracking CB no doubt about that and there is not as big a question mark over his fitness as there was when he was here and at Real but he age demand must be a canny size and is he really worth it now?

ahh well, obviously my feelings on this depend on how fit he's gonna stay, still, it is nice to get another player that spurs wanted, just to piss them off, haha, expect even MORE press backlash now from all the spurs journo's

To be fair we are obviously paying him twice as much as they were willing to. Why else would he come here?

i'm not gonna disagree with you, we probably are, but there are a couple of other reasons including having been here before and liked it, being a northern lad and being based up here for starters

Keegan's signing of Fowler makes he have doubts about this one; but I suppose if it all goes tits up, we've only paid £3 million for him, when you consider the profit we had from his wilderness years.

Another club being prepared to fork out for him is a good sign, but Spurs were also prepared to take Duff off Chelsea's hands.

It's like Scrapheap Challenge with NUFC and THFC.

I doubt we made a profit the first time.