The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

Sam will not be able to add 5 yards of pace to Luque's game or the courage needed to compete in the PL. I have not seen any player knocked so easily off the ball as Luque & he tackles like a coward.

He is a player who needs time on the ball & protection from referees; he aint going to get that in PL. I would love to see him do well but that aint going to happen either.

Watching Luque warm up is soul destroying. Match after match I have watched him trot up & down the line in front of me clearing going through the motions. He has a contract until 2010! We need him out. ASAP.

This.

Only i see him warming up from an angle, rather than right in front of me.

He is in front me; running up & down at between say a 45 to 90 degree angle to the front of me, depending upon his running position on the cinder track. OK?

......and no matter what angle I see him from he looks like he couldn't give a sh*t. If Sam can make a decent PL player out of him he will deserve a medal. Confidence will not give him pace & I really don't think it will give him courage either. The 30 minutes or so he played against Manure on his debut was deeply disappointing; he clearly wasn't a winger & ducked out of every challenge.

He was unfit in that game iirc wasn't he? Newcastle do have a tendancy to throw players in at the deep end in difficult circumstances. I agree with what the lad above said in that if you are more confident you are more likely to put better tackles in and not necessarily duck out of challenges.

Also, although confidence cannot add pace, it can add that extra level of sharpness as you will be more determined and that little bit more explosive. Confidence plays a huge role in how a player performs.

Sam will not be able to add 5 yards of pace to Luque's game or the courage needed to compete in the PL. I have not seen any player knocked so easily off the ball as Luque & he tackles like a coward.

He is a player who needs time on the ball & protection from referees; he aint going to get that in PL. I would love to see him do well but that aint going to happen either.

Watching Luque warm up is soul destroying. Match after match I have watched him trot up & down the line in front of me clearing going through the motions. He has a contract until 2010! We need him out. ASAP.

This.

He is in front me; running up & down at between say a 45 to 90 degree angle to the front of me, depending upon his running position on the cinder track. OK?

......and no matter what angle I see him from he looks like he couldn't give a sh*t. If Sam can make a decent PL player out of him he will deserve a medal. Confidence will not give him pace & I really don't think it will give him courage either. The 30 minutes or so he played against Manure on his debut was deeply disappointing; he clearly wasn't a winger & ducked out of every challenge.

He was unfit in that game iirc wasn't he? Newcastle do have a tendancy to throw players in at the deep end in difficult circumstances. I agree with what the lad above said in that if you are more confident you are more likely to put better tackles in and not necessarily duck out of challenges.

Also, although confidence cannot add pace, it can add that extra level of sharpness as you will be more determined and that little bit more explosive. Confidence plays a huge role in how a player performs.

He was fit until he got kicked over the touch line. I agree that confidence plays a major part on how a player performs but I have also seen attempts to build Luque's confidence up & when he has been put in the team he simply did not look up to it.

Fair do's to Sam; he is willing to give it a fresh start. IMO it will not work. What may happen is that Sam does play him in the hope that it encourages someone to buy him. SBR seemed to get rid of a few of our deadwood by doing that.

Guest Gemmill

This.

He was fit until he got kicked over the touch line. I agree that confidence plays a major part on how a player performs but I have also seen attempts to build Luque's confidence up & when he has been put in the team he simply did not look up to it.

Fair do's to Sam; he is willing to give it a fresh start. IMO it will not work. What may happen is that Sam does play him in the hope that it encourages someone to buy him. SBR seemed to get rid of a few of our deadwood by doing that.

It's gonna take a huge effort on both of their parts for it to work.  I reckon Sam will be up for it, but I have my doubts as to whether Luque hasn't just given up on us all together/isn't up to the task in the Premiership anyway.  We'll see.

This.

Allardyce is good with people, we know that, but fucking Luque can't be magically given pace/control/heart/awareness, can he?

Aside from the kids who think the online showreel is a true reflection of his ability, not many NUFC fans (and even fewer who've actually watched him live) think he can cut it. And they're right, imho.

This is all true but after Butt's first season here and his season at Birmingham, how many people ever thought he'd be a regular in the side? Not everything in football follows its logical course, and sometimes most people are wrong.

Chances are perhaps against Luque making an amazing recovery, but I think a lot of people assumed Roeder knew what he was doing and was justified in everything he did. While one side made excuses for Luque, the other side made excuses for Roeder. In truth, the pair of them should have bucked their ideas up.

This.

Allardyce is good with people, we know that, but f****** Luque can't be magically given pace/control/heart/awareness, can he?

Aside from the kids who think the online showreel is a true reflection of his ability, not many NUFC fans (and even fewer who've actually watched him live) think he can cut it. And they're right, imho.

My 12 year old step son thinks Luque is a good player 'cos he is Newcastle's best player on PC Football Manager (or something). I think there are those on here who may also feel the same & therefore we should stand by him.

Please note, PC simulations are not real life. Luque is not our best player, he will not score over 20 goals a season & he is not worth 20M.

PS: This equally applies to all other posts that make reference to such PC games & the abilities of players referred too.

Luque has ability, whether he can show it in the Premier league is debateable. Allardyce might be able to get him motivated and make use of his qualities. His approach is far better than Roedent's and I'm happy  with that.

Hopefully it'll just be a repeat of what Robson did with Maric and Andersson, conning someone into paying us decent money to take him off our hands.

Its the best we can hope for realistically

Yes and no.

Maybe just maybe Sam could get him playing.

The only reason that Luque is still here is there's such a huge gap between the wages he gets and the wages that he should be getting. That's why other clubs won't take him off our hands.

This.

Well remember we were desperately short of a striker, we bought Luque and he was thrown into a game against MANCHESTER UNITED, without ever having time to settle into our own team, yet alone a new country, yet alone a new league. After that, a number of times, like in Roeder's pre-season, he showed that he was eager to win a place, but Roeder just scape-goated him, and didn't reward Luque's goals with appearances, when the manager doesn't give a sh*t about you, would you give a sh*t about the matches where he puts you on for the last 5 minutes?

Guest Mixon

today Luque said at the training ground that he is definitly staying at Newcastle United and Martins also said he will be here next season

Seriously? Cause if you lie, I'll tell everyone I know that you're a liar!