Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Its because of this i feel you should only be going for something extra for the team at the end of the window and building your squad with well thought through value for money deals early in the window.

Would Guthrie, Gutierrez, Bassong and (to some degree) Coloccini be classed as these in your view?

daves right like, IF club now go and spaff their wad on some real quality now otherwise i'm afraid i don't really know what they are

still the same i guess, but the positives the club have acheived in getting them become somewhat negated imo if it all stops here (remember my 10m spend post a couple of weeks ago?!  eek)

i really hope we can get two or maybe three signings in, just in the positions keegan said ,midfield,defense and up top

however, as each day ticks on, im finding it hard to imagine that we will be succesful

i really think everton must be joking when moyes says they will try to sign upto 7 players before the deadline.....how they will try push them through i have no idea

fingers crossed smiths one of them

personally think the"difficulty" with transfers is blown out of proportion by clubs to suit them, increasingly seems like the windows are becoming a game of brinksmanship (witness spurs/berbatov)

I'd say thats exactly what they are and have been since the stakes have been high in the leagues. Thats what makes them so hard.

In any market there are 4 basic variables, the 2 valuations of the resource being traded and the 2 'willingness to accept/pay' for the resource.

The market has a huge flaw in it, as it has a close date at the end of august which distorts the 4 basic variables. If your target resource has to have an alternative (i.e a club needs a striker no matter if they get their intended target) then the selling club is incentivised to delay any deal as the willingness to pay and the valuation will rise. However, the player in question knows he is being traded and if the deal doesnt come off, he is less valuable to the selling club when the window is shut. There is therefore an incentive for the buying club to also delay the deal as the value the selling club's is willing to accept rapidly diminishes as the end of the window approaches (the more desperate they are to off-load). In fact you still see a lot of very low value deals at the end of the window as clubs off load unhappy players to cut their losses.

The winner in this situation probably depends on which club has the best valuation of the player, or is more sure of it.

Its because of this i feel you should only be going for something extra for the team at the end of the window and building your squad with well thought through value for money deals early in the window.

but the players don't mind holding on in case a better deal/bigger club comes along,as do the selling clubs. the buying clubs may have an advantage in waiting in that any price may drop if no-oe else comes in for the player who wants to move and the players club wants rid.

i like the window as it forces clubs to use their squad. they can't just go out and get someone to cover injuries or if they struggle (i'd actually quite like the windowshut through the entire  season)

Would Guthrie, Gutierrez, Bassong and (to some degree) Coloccini be classed as these in your view?

Yep.

i really hope we can get two or maybe three signings in, just in the positions keegan said ,midfield,defense and up top

however, as each day ticks on, im finding it hard to imagine that we will be succesful

i really think everton must be joking when moyes says they will try to sign upto 7 players before the deadline.....how they will try push them through i have no idea

personally think the"difficulty" with transfers is blown out of proportion by clubs to suit them, increasingly seems like the windows are becoming a game of brinksmanship (witness spurs/berbatov)

I'd say thats exactly what they are and have been since the stakes have been high in the leagues. Thats what makes them so hard.

In any market there are 4 basic variables, the 2 valuations of the resource being traded and the 2 'willingness to accept/pay' for the resource.

The market has a huge flaw in it, as it has a close date at the end of august which distorts the 4 basic variables. If your target resource has to have an alternative (i.e a club needs a striker no matter if they get their intended target) then the selling club is incentivised to delay any deal as the willingness to pay and the valuation will rise. However, the player in question knows he is being traded and if the deal doesnt come off, he is less valuable to the selling club when the window is shut. There is therefore an incentive for the buying club to also delay the deal as the value the selling club's is willing to accept rapidly diminishes as the end of the window approaches (the more desperate they are to off-load). In fact you still see a lot of very low value deals at the end of the window as clubs off load unhappy players to cut their losses.

The winner in this situation probably depends on which club has the best valuation of the player, or is more sure of it.

but the players don't mind holding on in case a better deal/bigger club comes along,as do the selling clubs. the buying clubs may have an advantage in waiting in that any price may drop if no-oe else comes in for the player who wants to move and the players club wants rid.

i like the window as it forces clubs to use their squad. they can't just go out and get someone to cover injuries or if they struggle (i'd actually quite like the windowshut through the entire  season)

The window is a deliberate distortion and it exists with good reason but it both raises the stakes and changes the normal rules of the market. The point being that mrmojo is right, its brinksmanship.

should apply to managers & coaches as well imo, if you fire someone you can only appoint from within

Guest Mucky01

Rui Costa I seem to remember too. We did end up with Silvio Maric though so we can't complain.

tbf, Maric was top class when he played against us for Dynamo Zagreb in the CL qualifier and I`m sure many of you after that performance would have taken him........he was linked with alot of big clubs before us ala Viana too

I do remember a certain Marco Viduka playing against us in those ties.

it was the awesome Robert Prosinecki who was by far the best player on the pitch and made Maric look like he was in his league –  although as we found out later he clearly wasn’t.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/26/newcastle-united-facing-stephane-mbia-fight-72703-21604423/

NEWCASTLE United have tried to bring Rennes midfielder Stephane Mbia to join his Cameroon international colleague Geremi at St James’s Park.

But the French outfit are not short of cash and, after rejecting a £6m bid from Everton for the 22-year-old defensive midfielder, they are holding out for more.

And it remains to be seen whether United’s top brass of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez are prepared to top Everton’s offer.

To complicate the situation, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is also looking at the 11-times capped midfielder.

The transfer window closes at midnight on Monday, but it seems Messrs Wise and Jimenez are pulling out all the stops to give Kevin Keegan the quality players he so desperately needs.

They have talked to Udinese about another holding midfielder, Gokhan Inler, who previously played for United’s former European opponents Basel and Zurich.

Inler was born in Switzerland of Turkish origin, and he has 20 caps for the Swiss.

I understand that the problem could be the agent’s slice of the transfer, although once again Inler is a player who interests Wenger at The Emirates.

Mbia and Inler are both holding midfielders, but another target, Rosenberg’s Per Ciljan Skjelbred, is a midfielder who loves to get forward.

United have been linked with Arsenal central defender Philippe Senderos for a couple of weeks now, but the Swiss international is in Italy today having a medical with AC Milan.

But I cannot imagine Keegan is exactly happy that one central defender he did want – Anton Ferdinand – was at Sunderland today for a medical after Roy Keane agreed a £7m fee with West Ham.

Keegan knows that he needs at least a couple more players through the door before Monday night – something which has been borne out by the fact he was down to the bare bones for tonight’s second-round Carling Cup tie with Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena.

Meanwhile, the word from the South Coast is that Newcastle are on the verge of signing one of Southampton’s young strikers.

Is the last bit Nile Ranger? :lol:

Good to see Oliver's up to date with the Inler situation too. And as if we'd let Ferdinand go to the mackems if we wanted him.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/26/newcastle-united-facing-stephane-mbia-fight-72703-21604423/

NEWCASTLE United have tried to bring Rennes midfielder Stephane Mbia to join his Cameroon international colleague Geremi at St James’s Park.

But the French outfit are not short of cash and, after rejecting a £6m bid from Everton for the 22-year-old defensive midfielder, they are holding out for more.

And it remains to be seen whether United’s top brass of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez are prepared to top Everton’s offer.

To complicate the situation, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is also looking at the 11-times capped midfielder.

The transfer window closes at midnight on Monday, but it seems Messrs Wise and Jimenez are pulling out all the stops to give Kevin Keegan the quality players he so desperately needs.

They have talked to Udinese about another holding midfielder, Gokhan Inler, who previously played for United’s former European opponents Basel and Zurich.

Inler was born in Switzerland of Turkish origin, and he has 20 caps for the Swiss.

I understand that the problem could be the agent’s slice of the transfer, although once again Inler is a player who interests Wenger at The Emirates.

Mbia and Inler are both holding midfielders, but another target, Rosenberg’s Per Ciljan Skjelbred, is a midfielder who loves to get forward.

United have been linked with Arsenal central defender Philippe Senderos for a couple of weeks now, but the Swiss international is in Italy today having a medical with AC Milan.

But I cannot imagine Keegan is exactly happy that one central defender he did want – Anton Ferdinand – was at Sunderland today for a medical after Roy Keane agreed a £7m fee with West Ham.

Keegan knows that he needs at least a couple more players through the door before Monday night – something which has been borne out by the fact he was down to the bare bones for tonight’s second-round Carling Cup tie with Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena.

Meanwhile, the word from the South Coast is that Newcastle are on the verge of signing one of Southampton’s young strikers.

Is the last bit Nile Ranger? :lol:

Good to see Oliver's up to date with the Inler situation too. And as if we'd let Ferdinand go to the mackems if we wanted him.

Thought Nile was West Coast all the way! Or he thinks he is

No mention of Berb then :lol:

Think that article came just before I sent a mail to Oliver, so there's still a chance yet  :pow:

Piss myself if it does make it like, with Oliver stating his sources tell him a Berbatov deal is imminent.

Stephen Mbia

But just what type of a player is he?

"I don't see myself as a taller Makelele, even though I think he's a great player," he said. "I see myself more as an Pirlo-type player. Yes, I play in front of the back four, but I like to be a playmaker, to supply the midfielders and strikers who go forward, rather than being defensive-minded."

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/newsid=842364.html

I love the sound of that tbh. Exactly the type of DM/Holding midfielder we should be after. Rather than just a destroyer. Would love for someone liek this to come in and replace Butt.

Mbia looked very good when we met Cameroon at the Olympics. Loads of energy on him, likes to thread passes and fire long-range efforts out of nowhere. Was Cameroon's biggest goal threat even though he was playing in a deep role.