Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

£6 mill for Skjelbred is way to much, his got a good engine similar to Milner will run all day for us, but don't think he has got enough body strength for PL yet. Skinny boy.

If you're in the creative part of the midfield camp, I don't think strength is the most important bit about your game, it's the passing. And Skjelbred is a good passer of the ball and normally has good crosses. Still don't think he'd walk straight into the first team if he came though, and his agent has said when we were linked with him in July that it's important for Skjelbred to be a first team player if he'd change clubs.

I'd be a little concerned if couldn't walk into our first team as a cm... butt is awful compared to most premership cm's although he does have a good game once in a while.

I think Keegan rates Butt, sadly. Which is why I don't think Skjelbred would walk into the first team. Not that I don't think Skjelbred is better than Butt. Which I do.

I reckon Keegan rates Butt for his experience and that, but he's definitely going to be the one to make way if/when we bring in the midfielder KK wants.

This. Because while he rates butt for his experience he's seemed really impressed by guthrie so far, so i can't see keegan droping him.

£6 million is a lot for a player from the Norwegian league tbf.

I wonder what the record fee is for a player sold from out there?

Think it's John Carew from Rosenborg to Valencia for around £7.5 Million back in the day.

Guest Brewcastle

I find it strange that NUFC didn't sign Ciljan before he did sign a new contract for Rosenborg 2 weeks ago. But it could be the club did set their eyes on "a bigger name", and didn't get him.

£6 mill. is more than I thought Rosenborg could get for Ciljan. But in the right (attacking) team, he can make value for more.

The only thing that culd be a minus about Ciljan and NUFC is if the physical play in PL brings his broken leg up in mind (terrible tackle by Stoltidis in Champions League 3 years ago), and he becomes a nervous chicken.... But after his come-back he haven't showed any signs of that.

Anyone by the way know what the Blackburn fans are saying about the Skjelbred rumour? I tried checking out the forum linked on here in the "other clubs forums" thread, but the one there wouldn't let me see threads without being registered, and when I was gonna register it wouldn't let me register at all.

I find it strange that NUFC didn't sign Ciljan before he did sign a new contract for Rosenborg 2 weeks ago. But it could be the club did set their eyes on "a bigger name", and didn't get him.

£6 mill. is more than I thought Rosenborg could get for Ciljan. But in the right (attacking) team, he can make value for more.

The only thing that culd be a minus about Ciljan and NUFC is if the physical play in PL brings his broken leg up in mind (terrible tackle by Stoltidis in Champions League 3 years ago), and he becomes a nervous chicken.... But after his come-back he haven't showed any signs of that.

Was it you who added a comment on the dagbladet.no article by the way?

Anyone by the way know what the Blackburn fans are saying about the Skjelbred rumour? I tried checking out the forum linked on here in the "other clubs forums" thread, but the one there wouldn't let me see threads without being registered, and when I was gonna register it wouldn't let me register at all.

Not much, a few said if both clubs have bid then he would come here.

Dodgy link...

Reports in Spain suggest another Barcelona wonder-kid could be leaving for the Premiership. Spanish Under-19 international Iago Falque, a product of the Barcelona academy has been told he is surplus requirements at the club according to Setanta Sports.

The Barcelona B team player shone under Josep Guardiola last season, but was told by new coach Luis Enrique he has no future at the club. His agent, Fernando Segui is believed to be looking for a new club for the 18-year old midfielder.

Reports claim moving to England is the youngster’s top priority, after seeing Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Pique Fran Merida and Gio Dos Santos thrive across the Channel. Newcastle and Arsenal have been rumored to be monitoring the player.

“We are going to meet the club to speak about the situation,” Segui declared.

The Spain Under-19 international’s future destination is yet to be announced, but he already understands he might never play at Camp Nou.

[source: Setanta Sports]

http://www.soccernews.com/arsenal-and-newcastle-chasing-another-barca-wonder-kid/5967/

Dodgy link...

Reports in Spain suggest another Barcelona wonder-kid could be leaving for the Premiership. Spanish Under-19 international Iago Falque, a product of the Barcelona academy has been told he is surplus requirements at the club according to Setanta Sports.

The Barcelona B team player shone under Josep Guardiola last season, but was told by new coach Luis Enrique he has no future at the club. His agent, Fernando Segui is believed to be looking for a new club for the 18-year old midfielder.

Reports claim moving to England is the youngster’s top priority, after seeing Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Pique Fran Merida and Gio Dos Santos thrive across the Channel. Newcastle and Arsenal have been rumored to be monitoring the player.

The Spain Under-19 international’s future destination is yet to be announced, but he already understands he might never play at Camp Nou.

http://www.soccernews.com/arsenal-and-newcastle-chasing-another-barca-wonder-kid/5967/

a "wonder-kid" with "no future at the club" ?

Dodgy link...

Link seems dodgy, though then again all links can be said as dodgy without any Newcastle representatives being quoted. Never heard of him though, what's his story?

i really hope we can get two or maybe three signings in, just in the positions keegan said ,midfield,defense and up top

however, as each day ticks on, im finding it hard to imagine that we will be succesful

i really think everton must be joking when moyes says they will try to sign upto 7 players before the deadline.....how they will try push them through i have no idea

fingers crossed smiths one of them

Rui Costa I seem to remember too. We did end up with Silvio Maric though so we can't complain.

tbf, Maric was top class when he played against us for Dynamo Zagreb in the CL qualifier and I`m sure many of you after that performance would have taken him........he was linked with alot of big clubs before us ala Viana too

i really hope we can get two or maybe three signings in, just in the positions keegan said ,midfield,defense and up top

however, as each day ticks on, im finding it hard to imagine that we will be succesful

i really think everton must be joking when moyes says they will try to sign upto 7 players before the deadline.....how they will try push them through i have no idea

I think once transfer deals drag on to mid august, you can reasonably expect them to last untill deadline day (as is evidenced by the relative lull in transfer activity over the past couple of weeks for all Premiership clubs.)

I wouldn't be pressing the "OMFG we're not signing anything" button quite yet. Team Ashley/KK hasn't let me down so far, so I'm willing to trust them when they say they're trying to get three more in.

personally think the"difficulty" with transfers is blown out of proportion by clubs to suit them, increasingly seems like the windows are becoming a game of brinksmanship (witness spurs/berbatov)

there are probably hundreds of bids sitting around 'on tables' to use newspaper parlance, that will either be accepted or not depending on the selling club for a variety of reasons, i'd imagine they mostly come down to clubs trying to squeeze a few extra drops of cash

i see no reason why, should a bid that's been sitting there suddenly be accepted a deal and then transfer couldn't be thrashed out very quickly indeed, never have done either - unless i've missed a massive change in the games administration then paperwork is still what it was

Rui Costa I seem to remember too. We did end up with Silvio Maric though so we can't complain.

tbf, Maric was top class when he played against us for Dynamo Zagreb in the CL qualifier and I`m sure many of you after that performance would have taken him........he was linked with alot of big clubs before us ala Viana too

I do remember a certain Marco Viduka playing against us in those ties.

personally think the"difficulty" with transfers is blown out of proportion by clubs to suit them, increasingly seems like the windows are becoming a game of brinksmanship (witness spurs/berbatov)

I'd say thats exactly what they are and have been since the stakes have been high in the leagues. Thats what makes them so hard.

In any market there are 4 basic variables, the 2 valuations of the resource being traded and the 2 'willingness to accept/pay' for the resource.

The market has a huge flaw in it, as it has a close date at the end of august which distorts the 4 basic variables. If your target resource has to have an alternative (i.e a club needs a striker no matter if they get their intended target) then the selling club is incentivised to delay any deal as the willingness to pay and the valuation will rise. However, the player in question knows he is being traded and if the deal doesnt come off, he is less valuable to the selling club when the window is shut. There is therefore an incentive for the buying club to also delay the deal as the value the selling club's is willing to accept rapidly diminishes as the end of the window approaches (the more desperate they are to off-load). In fact you still see a lot of very low value deals at the end of the window as clubs off load unhappy players to cut their losses.

The winner in this situation probably depends on which club has the best valuation of the player, or is more sure of it.

Its because of this i feel you should only be going for something extra for the team at the end of the window and building your squad with well thought through value for money deals early in the window.

Its because of this i feel you should only be going for something extra for the team at the end of the window and building your squad with well thought through value for money deals early in the window.

Would Guthrie, Gutierrez, Bassong and (to some degree) Coloccini be classed as these in your view?

I'd say thats exactly what they are and have been since the stakes have been high in the leagues. Thats what makes them so hard.

In any market there are 4 basic variables, the 2 valuations of the resource being traded and the 2 'willingness to accept/pay' for the resource.

The market has a huge flaw in it, as it has a close date at the end of august which distorts the 4 basic variables. If your target resource has to have an alternative (i.e a club needs a striker no matter if they get their intended target) then the selling club is incentivised to delay any deal as the willingness to pay and the valuation will rise. However, the player in question knows he is being traded and if the deal doesnt come off, he is less valuable to the selling club when the window is shut. There is therefore an incentive for the buying club to also delay the deal as the value the selling club's is willing to accept rapidly diminishes as the end of the window approaches (the more desperate they are to off-load). In fact you still see a lot of very low value deals at the end of the window as clubs off load unhappy players to cut their losses.

The winner in this situation probably depends on which club has the best valuation of the player, or is more sure of it.

woah!  dude!