Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

I wonder how much we could get Dunne for if he refused to sign a new deal?

Yes over 28's can leave their clubs by buying out their own contracts, problem is, only applies to foreign clubs so we can't go for him, same as no English club could go for Lampard or Owen.

£4m?

Almost treble what they would receive if he moved abroad.

Yeah, Dunne would be great for his leadership and presence. His commitment, effort and desire would be very valuable for us at the back. The guy is a no holds barred no nonsense defender and Taylor could certainly learn a thing or two from him.

As mentioned above Dunne isn't necessarily a top quality player or anything but he does have some attributes that would do us a lot of good. I like him as a player.

Not sure both Dunne and Faye would work though, he would need someone a bit more mobile alongside him. Wes Brown perhaps?

Beye is pretty mobile. Chimbonda, Beye, Dunne, and Enrique. Not bad.

Someone like Dunne is just what we need tbh, he's not up there with the best centre backs in the league but I think we will struggle to attract better at the moment, he's a leader at the back who reads the game as good as anyone, dominant in the air and always seems to be fit, the only downside would be he's not very quick so he's likely to need someone else coming in next to him.

Dunne and Gary Cahill would be good.

Even him and Faye would do a job short term.

I don't think Cahill's any better than Taylor tbh, don't really rate either of them.

I think Keegan might go for the safe option and get in Wes Brown on a free transfer to partner him.

Fully agree & I'd be happy with that.

Yeah, Dunne would be great for his leadership and presence. His commitment, effort and desire would be very valuable for us at the back. The guy is a no holds barred no nonsense defender and Taylor could certainly learn a thing or two from him.

As mentioned above Dunne isn't necessarily a top quality player or anything but he does have some attributes that would do us a lot of good. I like him as a player.

Not sure both Dunne and Faye would work though, he would need someone a bit more mobile alongside him. Wes Brown perhaps?

Beye is pretty mobile. Chimbonda, Beye, Dunne, and Enrique. Not bad.

Now that would really be interesting, but I'm just not sure if our coaches are aware of Beyes abilities as a centre back.

Even playing Chimbonda, Beye, Faye and Enrique would be very good too.

Brown and SWP are two I'd fully expect KK to go for. Dunne would be a pleasing addition, and I wouldn't be overly surprised with a bid for Crouch. Hopefully he'll have some aces up his sleeve.

Brown and SWP are two I'd fully expect KK to go for. Dunne would be a pleasing addition, and I wouldn't be overly surprised with a bid for Crouch. Hopefully he'll have some aces up his sleeve.

Swap Crouch for Bent and add a creative midfielder and that is one good summer

I would say Christoph Metzelder could be a viable option in the summer, given that Real Madrid look set to overhaul their playing staff come the summer. Garay from Santander is another option (but could be pricey)

Can someone who's good with all the tactical knowledge etc explain to me why Dunne and Faye couldn't work? That's not me being arsey, would just genuinely like to hear from someone why it shouldn't...

I'd hardly say Faye was immobile, he's certainly got a deceptive turn of pace, and could make up for Dunne's lack of movement, or whatever. We certainly wouldn't struggle in the aerial department, either.

For the record, i think Dunne would be a very good signing. Brown, meh. :undecided: Don't particularly rate him. We only need one centre-back imo and Wes Brown is not a good right-back. Dunne and Faye would be good though imo.

cannot be arsed to read all the recent threads so apologies if someone has made this point.

Assuming we are going for European players as well as English, is anyone concerned that the Euro's will get in the way of our transfer progress in the summer?

Can someone who's good with all the tactical knowledge etc explain to me why Dunne and Faye couldn't work? That's not me being arsey, would just genuinely like to hear from someone why it shouldn't...

I'd hardly say Faye was immobile, he's certainly got a deceptive turn of pace, and could make up for Dunne's lack of movement, or whatever. We certainly wouldn't struggle in the aerial department, either.

For the record, i think Dunne would be a very good signing. Brown, meh. :undecided: Don't particularly rate him. We only need one centre-back imo and Wes Brown is not a good right-back. Dunne and Faye would be good though imo.

Good post. For me, it could work and work well.

I agree that Faye is hardly immobile.

He's certainly not a Hyppia or Sol Campbell in terms of 'turn of pace' imo.

I think they could establish a very steady partnership and give us a sound backbone for a couple of seasons to be honest.

It maybe could work, the worry is that opposition would pick up on their lack of pace and take advantage of it, we wouldn't be able to play a high line either because quick players would get in behind us with a ball over the top, watching Dunne at Man City he's always had a quick player next to him who can recover any mistakes and these do happen for any team.

The other problem with a Dunne/Faye partnership is neither of them are that good with the ball at their feet, Keegan has spoke for the need to be good in possession and that we need to play it out from the back so that brings up more question marks over them, I don't think two big CB's with little pace and poor footballing skills would work.

Not sure what the problem is with Wes Brown, better than anything we've got already so bringing him in on a free would be improving the squad without wasting money that's needed in other areas.

Brown in a good team playing well should be a good player.

He does make mistakes, like a high class Bramble, but he very rarely gets punished for them and he's got a bit more about him and can recover from them both at the time and most certainly mentally.

£60kpw rejected though at a club he loves? Is he that desperate for 1st team football even though he's basically 1st choice now even if it is through selection.

I'd be quite happy to get proven EPL defenders like Brown and Dunne in while taking chances on the flair players from the continent and beyond.