Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Martins is a raw talent. He may not be the most intelligent player to grace the pitch at St James' Park but at the moment when fit he is the most effective.

If we could fit quality players around him, his lack of brains would not be so much of a problem. He shooting at times is awesome evening his finishing, he is still relatively young and has time to mature. The guy has had a stop start career with Newcastle often messed around to accomodate Owen or Allardyces mad formations.

I think whether we stay up this season largely depends on what Martins offers us for the rest of the season unless somehow we manage to sign 5 or 6 quality players between now and 5pm Monday.

The stat on the BBC prematch report yesterday said it all for me - since he joined us, Martins has missed 22 (now 23) matches through injury - we've only won 2 of them.

He represents our last slim chance of staying up.

Only one actually, he came off the bench in the other.

Think he will play tmrw, normally we would be quick to play down his chances of playing or rule him out. Was expecting him for the bench but the deafening silence makes me thing we might spring a suprise and start him.

he`s not been listed in the bbc/journal match day squads

Guest Gemmill

I cant wait for the day Owen is out of the picture and Martins get the chance to shine a bit on his own.

Yeah it'll be awesome when we lose the best centre forward at the club.  Can't fucking wait.

I cant wait for the day Owen is out of the picture and Martins get the chance to shine a bit on his own.

Yeah it'll be awesome when we lose the best centre forward at the club.  Can't fucking wait.

Neither can Owen.

Newcastle have been handed a boost with the news that Obafemi Martins could return from injury to face West Brom this weekend.

The Nigerian hit-man has been out of action since suffering a hernia problem in the 3-0 win at Portsmouth in December.

Martins underwent an operation on the injury in January and he has made a rapid recovery.

The striker's return to fitness is a timely boost for Magpies boss Joe Kinnear, with Michael Owen currently sidelined with an ankle injury.

"Hopefully we'll have Oba fit for West Brom (on Saturday) which is a big boost," Kinnear told the club's official website.

Martins the best player this club have by far..

I wouldn't say he is, at least not 'by far'.

However he is probably is our most influential player when he's on form, simply because of his pace.

What is 'by far' and who is it then?

Martins can fire Magpies to safety

JOE Kinnear has pin-pointed the fitness of Obafemi Martins as potentially a make-or-break factor in Newcastle United’s battle to beat the drop.

Kinnear will unleash Martins against relegation rivals West Brom today after six weeks out with a hernia, and the Newcastle boss feels that he can provide the inspiration his team need to propel themselves away from the drop zone.

With Andy Carroll ruled out with an ankle injury, Martins will be partnered with derby goalscorer Shola Ameobi as United go in search of crucial points against the Premier League’s bottom side.

It has been a frustrating season for Martins, (pictured right), one of several key players who have spent significant time on the sidelines this campaign.

He has played only 13 times since the opening day of the season but has scored six goals in that time – including one against today’s opposition, as United squeezed past Albion back in October.

Bemoaning the fact that he has not had Martins at his disposal for more of the season, Kinnear has backed the forward to repeat the trick in the Black Country this afternoon. “Oba coming back is huge for us – he’s a natural goalscorer so obviously we’ve missed him,” Kinnear said.

“I’m desperate for him to stay fit for the rest of the season because he’s a quality player and he can make a big difference for us,” Kinnear said.

“I think if we’d have had Oba for the Sunderland game we would have beaten them out of sight, to be honest. He scores goals out of nothing.

“We are looking in slightly better shape injury-wise and Shola will be all the better for another week of training.”

“He did well considering he wasn’t really fit against Sunderland, and the pair of them should cause problems for West Brom.”

Martins, along with Mark Viduka and Alan Smith, were put through their paces at a rigorous training session on

Thursday and all three should be involved at the Hawthorns.

That is a significant boost for Kinnear, who believes the absence of his injured players has been keenly felt so far this season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

However he is probably is our most influential player when he's on form, simply because of his pace.

What is 'by far' and who is it then?

I know what you mean ethi

I think he is definately the most effective player.

In terms of player effectiveness goes i would say:

Martins

Owen

Jonas

Bass

We desperately need Oba to get fit and stay fit. His appearance record since he joined isn't exactly wonderful. Although naturally it is far superior to our cowardly captain.

I'd say he was our most important player at the moment.

Probably been said before that Oba's pace makes the opposing defence drop back by ten yards allowing our mostly innefective midfield a little more room.

Without him even the likes of West Brom, Hull et al can squeeze the life out of us!

Martins will create you something out of nothing, Owen needs to be surrounded by good players....

Obviously you would rather have Owen as a striker, but in our current climate I think Martins is more useful on the pitch.