Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Guest Phil K

We do NOT have "class" players, The Zog apart.

Don't know what N'Zogbia has done to be exempt from your rant.

Rant ?

He's spot on.

There is WAAAAAYY too much self-deception amongst Newcastle fans.

This bunch are a disgrace to the strip.

Being pleased with a point away to Birmingham - who were scared of their own shadow and defended in DEPTH at HOME against a team in free-fall like us is nothing to get confident about, and yet i was quite pleased - shows how desperate we are.

Another magnificent post from NM. :lol:

You say that as if what he says is ridiculous.

It isn't.

The only thing wrong i noticed is that Zog isnt the "class" player he seems to think he is.

He'd do far better in a team not filled with overpaid jokes, agreed. But hardly class.

He's just suffering from the bloated, over-inflated ego that all players seem to suffer from these days.

Birmingham are a decent side at home which is why they thrashed spurs and got a point against arsenal in the last month. Don't let that stop the usual suspects moaning about a well earned point though.

Plenty of positives to take, first time we have come from behind for AGES. Nice to see we were pegging them back in the second half and keeping the pressure on.

The Martins sub is easy to have a go at but I can see what KK was thinking after our last-minute defeat to Blackburn. Keep the shape, don't commi too much forward at the end.

I was suicidal after the Brum goal, but after the whole game I feel a bit better about us staying up.

Question is, can the heart take another few weeks of this?  :kasper:

Guest Phil K

Birmingham are a decent side at home which is why they thrashed spurs and got a point against arsenal in the last month. Don't let that stop the usual suspects moaning about a well earned point though.

They're not below us because they're a good side, Wullie.....

Still - any port in a storm.

A point is something anyways.

But it's worthless if we blow up against Fulham (who beat Everton last game remember)

Aye, only lost one at home since Alex Mcleish has been there and that was against Chelsea.

Last night we came from behind to get something out of a game for the first time in ages. And away from home too against a decent side on their own patch. Why can't people give them just a little bit of credit when it's merited?  :undecided:

Last night we came from behind to get something out of a game for the first time in ages. And away from home too against a decent side on their own patch. Why can't people give them just a little bit of credit when it's merited?  :undecided:

I know, it's daft. This is our biggest result for a long while, probably since Keegan returned. Honestly can't really understand how anyone can't be a tad optimistic now, going into a home game against a shite team.

Awful performance in the first half but KK obviously had a good team talk at HT. Once we started to move the ball around faster Brum were in big troubles but WHY did we stop playing and went back to walking pace from the first half? Martins was understandably shocked for being substituted and how much more disinterested can Zoggy look :tickedoff:

The worst we have been in a while the forst half but much more encouraging in the second

The setanta commentator Craig Burley i think it was was the most biased newcastle hating commentator as well

I thought that about Burley too.

After that first half I was seriously considering relegation, couldn't see where a decent ceffort was going to come from, never mind a goal and never mind any points.  Just players aimlessly wandering around uninterested, no drive and no ideas.  No-one wanted the ball and when they got it they certainly didn't want to do anything with it (our best chance came from a bluenose having a rush of blood to the head)  When we went one nil down my mate said what a gift of a goal it was and I lamented that if it had fallen for us we wouldn't have scored.  If it had come to Martins he'd have blasted it wide, Owen would have had an anaemic, dribbling shot for the keeper to pick up and anyone else would have stood there like a rabbit in headlights holding up the ball and desperately hoping for someone to get in the box who they could shift responsibility to.

Not getting carried away, but the second half was like watching a different team.  We still had problems but compared to the first half it was like we'd brought on some ringers from Barca.  Going forward, breaking quickly, defending confidently mostly.  Then of course the substitution, which was like Sam all over again.  When we saw Zog warming up someone said it was a good positive substitution and someone else joked "Yeah, if he's taking off Viduka or someone, it'll probably be Martins".  Ha. Ha.

The worst we have been in a while the forst half but much more encouraging in the second

The setanta commentator Craig Burley i think it was was the most biased newcastle hating commentator as well

He was really pissing me off. So was the other guy.

The second half performance might just have turned the corner for us and given us a platform to stay in the Premier. If people aren't happy about it then fine, carry on moaning if it helps. You need help that's for sure.

Guest Jungle Barry

The pair of them were disgraceful, absolutely revelling in it when we were getting beat

Blatantly a Scottish pact.

The worst bit was when the commentator said that Newcastle hadn't won at Birmingham since the 1970s, and Burley responded: "even Ipswich have won there since"

The worst bit was when the commentator said that Newcastle hadn't won at Birmingham since the 1970s, and Burley responded: "even Ipswich have won there since"

I thought he said that Birmingham hadn't beat us at home since 1970...

I thought he said that Birmingham hadn't beat us at home since 1970...

I may have misheard.

In the second half the main commentator said "Newcastle have improved greatly over their first half performance haven't they?"

Deathly silence follows.

Burley has always hated us for whatever reason, oh apart from Viduka because he played for Celtic (he is that pathetic and it shows).

But I remember when we played Birmingham at home the guy commentating nearly burst into tears when Beye scored in the 93rd minute (think that was SKY - not sure).

Feck em.

Keegan made the wrong decision when taking Martins off but at least he did or said enough at half time to turn the game around, I don't think that should be under estimated, a good second half has been a rarity this season.

And he finally dropped Smith, also played Martins and Viduka. Most people wanted that before the game i suppose.

Guest Sam S

Harper 7

Beye 5

Taylor 6

Faye 5

Enrique 5

Geremi 6

Butt 7

Barton 3

Martins 7

Owen 6

Viduka 3

Viduka, 3?

:rolleyes:

I should add that I missed the first 30 mins. If he was good during that period, he can have a 5.

Well give him a 5 then, first 30 minutes he was the only Newcastle player who could hold the ball.

It was obvious from Martins' play (and reaction to the substitution) that he was regaining a bit of confidence. I've never seen a player as reliant on it.

Absolutely clueless management!!!!!

Martins should seriously start considering his options next season.

The guy is struggling to get a game when he's clearly the best option up front. When he begins to get some confidence the managers usually do their best to destroy it.

Get lost. It got us an important point. The last time we had a team pegged back for a significant period of time, we crumbled and conceded on the break. Lost the game in the flash. No need risking it again.

Maybe he should have taken Viduka off rather than Oba, but Viduka could hold it up. It was a frustrating sub but in our circumstances it wasn't worth risking getting caught out on the break (again).

It probably cost us 2 points...WTF are we doing playing for a draw against Birmingham?

Football is a pretty simple game. Martins should have been the last person subtituted in my opinion.

Don't think we were playing for a draw, judging by the starting line up including Owen,Viduka and Martins.

I think Keegan felt we may have left ourselves exposed down our left had he kept Martins on.

It does annoy me that Owen seems immune to being dropped/subbed however.