Reading (H) Pre-Match thread

ShearMagic

Guest Limpy

People need to look at Readings results since mid December, including the results against Liverpool, Chelsea and Manure. Other than the 6-4 goal fest against Spurs the scores have been close, 2-1 being typical, all this 3-0 bollocks is just not going to happen.

Lower quality performance but 3 points, probably a similar result / game to Fulham, 2-1 prediction.

I really can't call it other than going for a home win, if we score early and have a good go at them we could do really do well, especially if the crowd get behind the team in a big way.

I can't wait for this game but as you say, it could end up being of lower quality.

People need to look at Readings results since mid December, including the results against Liverpool, Chelsea and Manure. Other than the 6-4 goal fest against Spurs the scores have been close, 2-1 being typical, all this 3-0 bollocks is just not going to happen.

Yeah, and Spurs have been getting beat 4-1 at home every other week.  It was bang on that we'd beat them by that score.

Typical of this board that people go and get over excited for no reason.  We have played well and got a great result over spurs.  However, we are on 35 points for a reason, we have been desperately shit all season.

I am all for being positive and am as happy as the next person about our recent return to form.  I think an element of caution with optimism is required.  10-0 score lines are not realistic.

I think we should just focus on being safe, not put any pressure on the team now and at least enjoy the end of what has been a season to forget.  Then, we can look forward to the summer and some additional players (I hope).

Home game.

Everyone fit and happy.

All our strikers playing and scoring.

We are no longer scared of conceding goals to the opposition and so we are playing more freely as a team.

I just can't see us playing badly or not performing well this weekend.

I'm just hoping everyone remains fit, and if so we will do very well.

How exactly does a team game plan to contain us right now? Our three strikers are all so different and dangerous in their own way. It must be a headache to contain at the moment.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing this setup against the likes of Portsmouth and Chelsea later in the season. Can't believe I'm actually looking forward to those games.

I absolutely hate Reading, so I'm desperate for a big win.

I reckon a 2-1 though, Owen with both.

what have they ever done to us?

It's irrational, granted. Sorry, I know you're keen on the place.

It's Brock isn't it? :D

Guest toonlass

Its nice when you start looking forward to going to the game again instead of the feeling of dread that was overwhealming me when I was thinking of the match.

Guest Hoop Blah

Let's not get too cocky, Reading have won three out of their last five and they've always given us a tough match whenever we play. They're very threatening on the counter-attack so they'll fancy all three points instead of hunkering down and going for the draw.

So I think I'll be realistic and keep it at 3-0  :snod:

Like most of you Geordies I can't see us getting much out of this trip, apart from a good night or two on the lash.

We've been so much better over the three or four games since Coppell freshened the side up a little (and we had a couple of 'easier' fixtures after a horrid run of games in 2008) but we still don't look like scoring many goals.  On top of that we'll be with our January signing, Marek Matejovsky, who got sent off in the draw with Blackburn.  He's a very tidy Czech international and we'll miss the quality on the ball he's bought to the side. 

We'll more than likely come and attack, but we look pretty jaded this season, a product of having such a light squad if you ask me, and I can't see us causing you too many problems unless Kitson and Doyle are given better service.  The biggest plus for us is that Glenn Little is travelling with the squad after being out injured since last season.  He's been the missing link between last season and this for us, and we've probably missed him a lot more than Sidwell despite what the media will have told you about him over the last few years.

From what I've caught of you on the telly over the few games you look a much better side than a month ago.  All in all I'd be surprised if we score, even against your defence, and so the most I'm hoping for is a point.

3-1, Martins to score first. The last time I predicted that outcome was against Spurs at home earlier this season. Unfortunately, the queue at Ladbrokes was too long for my liking so I opted not to place a bet. I somewhat regret I didn't stand in line later on that night....

Guest Limpy

Yeah, and Spurs have been getting beat 4-1 at home every other week.  It was bang on that we'd beat them by that score.

Spurs came out and tried to play, we played with three forwards and they were 4-3-3 as well, Reading wont, they have a solid defensive set up that contain most teams. like i said just look at their form all season, if ever there was a team going to be beaten 2-1 its Reading.  Thats only my opinion, if its 3 - 0 i'll gladly show my arse in Fenwicks window :yikes: not a pretty sight.