Newcastle United 3 - 0 Reading - 05/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 18

James

An excellent way to put relegation fears to bed - one of the best home performances of the season, although it took a while to get going . Once the first one went in, there was little doubt about the result..

All 3 goals were well taken, and the second & third really well constructed.

Edgar looked shaky at first, but gradually improved - a superb display from Beye, his best since signing, and Enrique continues to find his feet in the Prem - this boy is going to be some player by the time he is 25..

Congrats due to KK for deploying Owen in a withdrawn role(this suits his loss of some pace since his injuries, and shows he is still a potent force inside the box), and for getting Viduka something like fit.

All 3 forwards played well, and I am pleased to see that KK has obviously had the coaches working on his vision and technique - this is improving now.

Finally, a word of praise for Chris Hughton - its no coincidence that performances have improved since his arrival...!

Re Edgar - as others have said, you expect a young player, who's been given his 'big chance', to be a bit nervous. But from what I've seen of him, he's strong and quick enough to make the grade, and just needs to be given the experience. There are no guarantees, but at some stage, with a young player, you have to make that sort of judgement. With us being pretty much safe now, and no place in Europe to fight for, it's an opportunity to give Edgar his chance. Taylor is stalling on his contract, and hasn't impressed this season.

What I like about Edgar is his ability on the ball. Unlike Taylor, he's comfortable in possession and can pass. With the way the game is developing, there's more emphasis on skill throughout the side, and Edgar has it.

Re Edgar - as others have said, you expect a young player, who's been given his 'big chance', to be a bit nervous. But from what I've seen of him, he's strong and quick enough to make the grade, and just needs to be given the experience. There are no guarantees, but at some stage, with a young player, you have to make that sort of judgement. With us being pretty much safe now, and no place in Europe to fight for, it's an opportunity to give Edgar his chance. Taylor is stalling on his contract, and hasn't impressed this season.

What I like about Edgar is his ability on the ball. Unlike Taylor, he's comfortable in possession and can pass. With the way the game is developing, there's more emphasis on skill throughout the side, and Edgar has it.

Spot on Bob.

Spurs came out and tried to play, we played with three forwards and they were 4-3-3 as well, Reading wont, they have a solid defensive set up that contain most teams. like i said just look at their form all season, if ever there was a team going to be beaten 2-1 its Reading.  Thats only my opinion, if its 3 - 0 i'll gladly show my arse in Fenwicks window  not a pretty sight.

When are you doing it then Limpy???

What I like about Edgar is his ability on the ball. Unlike Taylor, he's comfortable in possession and can pass.  With the way the game is developing, there's more emphasis on skill throughout the side, and Edgar has it.

Whilst most of what you say might be right (and hopefully will be) its far too early to judge.  3 starts in the first team!

And the bit in bold doesn't apply to yesterday as he was continually just humping the ball forward aimlessly.

Guest mr quimbys beard

Was great to watch the Toon playing like a team who mean business, fluent passing, pace from Martins was unbelievable and our left and right backs awesome, Owen all over the place with Viduka holding up and feeding, Barton was immense, all in all a great game from the lads and a result to match, happy days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/deadreflection/NUFC/80534559.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/deadreflection/NUFC/80535319.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/deadreflection/NUFC/80534706.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/deadreflection/NUFC/80534725.jpg

Great to see.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/80534546.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CE41B024AE96D64D1FB2A6E6EA54A7D0E30A760B0D811297

Allardyce would have hated this game. 2 teams with an offensive mentality, trying to play passing football, trying to score goals and trying to win the game.

Credit to both teams for their attitude and tactics. Premiership needs both of us in next season.

Maybe if Megson had brought Bolton to Newcastle to try and win, they may have had a bit of good fortune along the way and wouldnt be in the position they are in now.

I havent followed Reading at all but if they have continued to try and play football, even through the period post New Year where they lost 8 off the belt, then safety is everything they deserve

Guest optimistic nit

reading are hard to beat, quite like brum, so a 3-0 win is great for us. even better all 3 strikers scored. i thought we were playing edgar at right back and beye rm from the highlights on MOTD, he got forward so often during them and so well. 2 assists. we reallly seemed to be passing the ball well judging from the highlights, which is almost as important as the result.

This was right in front of the Leazes after the Owen goal; he just carried on punching the air after everyone was going back for kick-off. We loved it. :D

reading are hard to beat, quite like brum, so a 3-0 win is great for us. even better all 3 strikers scored. i thought we were playing edgar at right back and beye rm from the highlights on MOTD, he got forward so often during them and so well. 2 assists. we reallly seemed to be passing the ball well judging from the highlights, which is almost as important as the result.

The passing is something that has grossly improved since Kevin's arrival. Some of Butt's long range passes to the left wing yesterday were excellent.

What I like about Edgar is his ability on the ball. Unlike Taylor, he's comfortable in possession and can pass.  With the way the game is developing, there's more emphasis on skill throughout the side, and Edgar has it.

Whilst most of what you say might be right (and hopefully will be) its far too early to judge.  3 starts in the first team!

And the bit in bold doesn't apply to yesterday as he was continually just humping the ball forward aimlessly.

The bit you highlighted is the bit I feel most sure about. For a centre back, he's quite classy on the ball.

The area of doubt for me is whether he's tough enough, mentally and physically, to do the other jobs of a Premiership centre back. Unlike, say, Ramage, I think he might well be, but we'll only find out if he's given the chance against good opposition. It's difficult to give young centre backs a chance, because it's such a crucial position, but we've got the opportunity now.

Taylor has slipped backwards this season. He actually looks less confident than before, and hasn't developed that kind of commanding presence that you look for in a centre back. For me, he just hasn't shown enough to have his place in the side protected.

Edgar did well enough yesterday, but struggled IMO with Kitson in particular. Lost a number of headers and got caught on the deck a couple of times. However, he easily made up for that with a few excellent 'safety first' clearances. Good performance overall, if a little nervy. Which is to be expected really, despite his composure for the reserves.

Guest Phil K

Finally, a word of praise for Chris Hughton - its no coincidence that performances have improved since his arrival...!

Yes - I was thinking along these lines myself.

Praise must be given where its due.

Can't see I was clapping hands with delight at his arrival, thinking what diff will he make ? But....

The defence was a shambles before he arrived - it's still not great, of course, but 1000% better than it was.

Edgar did well enough yesterday, but struggled IMO with Kitson in particular. Lost a number of headers and got caught on the deck a couple of times. However, he easily made up for that with a few excellent 'safety first' clearances. Good performance overall, if a little nervy. Which is to be expected really, despite his composure for the reserves.

I think you summed up Edgars performance extremelly well, Dave.

Kitson is hardly a Premier top man, yet gave him a torrid time. But still....

Just watching the goals again, anyone else noticed Martins doing a celebratory dance after Beye picked Owen up? He's like a little kid who's had too much sugar. :lol:

He's on the phone to his agent wanting out now tbh.

This was right in front of the Leazes after the Owen goal; he just carried on punching the air after everyone was going back for kick-off. We loved it. :D

Was quality wasn't it. :D I was directly in line with it (though right at the top).

Spurs came out and tried to play, we played with three forwards and they were 4-3-3 as well, Reading wont, they have a solid defensive set up that contain most teams. like i said just look at their form all season, if ever there was a team going to be beaten 2-1 its Reading.  Thats only my opinion, if its 3 - 0 i'll gladly show my arse in Fenwicks window  not a pretty sight.

When are you doing it then Limpy???

:D

A ruthless first half and for the most part, a dominant second half.

If Reading had more of a cutting edge, they could have done 1 up but we still would have beaten them.

Thought Barton was class, one pass in the second half with the outside of his right was inch perfect. Most improved player in recent weeks but Beye was motm.

Notice how MoTD missed out Faye and Martin's little dance, and our 30+ passes strung together, but managed to a show some of our fans leaving a before the end, complete with snide comment? I happens everywhere ffs.  :angry:

Oh, and I assume Barton was omited from BBC's team of the week because he once got in a fight with a black bloke? Not racist at all Garth.

Notice how MoTD missed out Faye and Martin's little dance, and our 30+ passes strung together, but managed to a show some of our fans leaving a before the end, complete with snide comment? I happens everywhere ffs.  :angry:

Oh, and I assume Barton was omited from BBC's team of the week because he once got in a fight with a black bloke? Not racist at all Garth.

Football First on Sky didnt show them  either & SKY also showed the fans leaving early.