Newcastle United 3 - 0 Reading - 05/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 18

James

Guest LucaAltieri

Harper - 7 - Reliable when called upon. Had to make a couple of good saves in the first half.

Beye - 10 - Quality at both ends of the pitch. Excellent passing. Great defending. Two assists.

Faye - 8 - Solid. Took a couple of knocks but recovered well.

Edgar - 7 - I missed the first 10 minutes so didn't see his "shakey" start. Made some good tackles/clearances under pressure. One moment of madness towards the end that went unpunished.

Jose Enrique - 8 - got up and down well. Good defending. Played a supporting role during build up play. Made an excellent run into the box and pass to Owen just before the third goal. He's looking the part now.

Geremi - 7 - Quiet game. Don't recall any major balls ups.

Butt - 8 - Excellent first half. Quiet second half. Sat in the middle of the park and played simple balls. Only recall him getting caught in posession once towards the end.

Barton - 8.5 - Quiet first half. Towards the end of the game he started getting forward a bit more and could quite easily have had a  goal or two. Good performance.

Martins - 9 - Constantly dangerous. Quick on the break. Held the ball up well. Got involved with knocking the ball around, scored a good goal, and showed some good bits of skill.

Owen - 8.5 - Did a lot of running. Dropped deep, ran out wide, held the ball up. Did everything to link the midfield with the attack. Still managed to get forward and scored a well taken goal. Nice to see him back on form.

Viduka - 8 - Scored a good goal. Linked up well when knocking the ball around. Was quieter towards the end.

Diatta - n/a - Didn't see enough to rate him.

Smith - n/a - As Diatta.

Duff - 7 - Made some good runs forward on the counter attack, however they came to nothing. Definitely more lively than he has been but still little end product.

Guest Wally_McFool

Alan Thomson sitting next to Wise on one of the getty photos

Who is he?

ex leeds, celtic and england.

Newcastle lad.

Yeah, so aren't we missing a certain club off his "ex" list! :D

Alan Thomson sitting next to Wise on one of the getty photos

Who is he?

ex leeds, celtic and england.

Newcastle lad.

Yeah, so aren't we missing a certain club off his "ex" list! :D

Must be one of those "small clubs" with "no history". :p

To be fair, Reading were passing it around and attacking much better than us in the first half. They just didnt have a Owen, Martins or Viduka to finish up top.

My moan of the day was the Commentator actually saying "F.Y.I." in a sentace about Viduka's goalscoring record.

That and some bastards mobile phone right next to the mic, going off every other minute.

On the pitch everything was marverlous though!

There was a spell which seemed to last about five minutes, around the 50 minute mark, where we just passed it around and they couldn't get it off us. Martins did a lovely backheel to put someone through (Owen?), but nothing came of it.

Would have been some goal.

Can't wait to see Martins and Faye's little dance again on MoTD.

Guest LucaAltieri

To be fair, Reading were passing it around and attacking much better than us in the first half. They just didnt have a Owen, Martins or Viduka to finish up top.

My moan of the day was the Commentator actually saying "F.Y.I." in a sentace about Viduka's goalscoring record.

That and some bastards mobile phone right next to the mic, going off every other minute.

On the pitch everything was marverlous though!

Were they shite. they had a couple of little break aways that we dealt with easily and a short spell of pressure. They were never dangerous. The majority of the time we were camped in their half and the first half possession stats back that up.

No Charlie on the bench? I reckon he'll be away in the summer.

Picked up a knock for the French U21's that kept him out last week, and this according to .com

Was at Sea last night, dancing away freely. Didn't seem to be in much pain at all

If N'Zogbia was out last night (I can't imagine him dancing either, would have thought he would be in a mood over in the corner) I don't think there is any point in him staying after the summer. I don't think we have missed him in the recent games since moving to a 4-3-3 formation and if he wants to play elsewhere it will be his loss.