West Ham 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 26/4/08 - Post match reaction from page 16

James

So how does everyone rate edgars performance, i only saw the second half and he looked alrite. Still needs more experience but glad to see he can play at the level and seems comfortable enough.

Not good enough to make it

Guest Knightrider

Great result considering we were 2-0 down. The beauty about us now for me where I am concerned is that I feel confident that not only can we score but we can also pick up points on the road. Now I know we can come from behind when playing shit.

Are yous taking the piss?

He's started three games FFS. Looked class against Man U, decent against Reading and shakey today. Hardly anytime to right the lad off.

By all accounts he had a good second half.

So how does everyone rate edgars performance, i only saw the second half and he looked alrite. Still needs more experience but glad to see he can play at the level and seems comfortable enough.

It's a good thing you haven't seen the first half if you like him.. We desperately missed Faye.

Great result considering we were 2-0 down. The beauty about us now for me where I am concerned is that I feel confident that not only can we score but we can also pick up points on the road. Now I know we can come from behind when playing shit.

Aye it's great and you just know that KK will concentrate on home games as the priority. Win most of our home games and make it fortress SJP, then away from home rely on performances like this, brilliant.

Based on a couple of games. Nice one.

Guest optimistic nit

He's started three games FFS. Looked class against Man U, decent against Reading and shakey today. Hardly anytime to right the lad off.

dont think he's ever looked class tbh. scored one good deflected goal, but i don't think he was amazing, and it was his debut, so may well have peformed above himself due to excitement or something.

not saying he can't make it, but he lacks a lot of core attributes a defender needs, so he's got a lot of hard work to do.

Based on a couple of games. Nice one.

He asked for my opinion and i gave him it i dont believe he will ever be good enough to make it

Looked very shaky today and was at fault for one of the goals. Was our worst defender against Reading as well, he put Long in 1-on-1 and gave the ball away a lot.

Looked very shaky today and was at fault for one of the goals. Was our worst defender against Reading as well, he put Long in 1-on-1 and gave the ball away a lot.

So your lost on the fact that he's young and these are his first few games for the club?

Noone's arguing that he's making mistakes but you don't seem to get how young footballers are blooded into the game.

As he gets older, he will get stronger, more physical, more confident and more experianced. None of that is going to help a lad who seems to be highley rated throughout the club as a good young defender?

Guest Phil K

I desperately want Chelski to pip the Gloyhunting b*stards.

Just to hear the wails of "Unfair to us loyal Man U fans ! This isnt supposed to happen"

Shouted in every accent but a Manchester one

But I want Newcastle to beat Chelski (obviously)

Want a quandry....

Yeah edgar is shaky. Doesn't look like he has much potential but hey, I hope he proves me wrong. 

Geremi is crap. It's so strange to see a decent player lose their quality in a short space of time. I rated him quite highly when he first came.  Now he's so slow and holds onto the ball.  Barton isn't that great either.

Midfield used to be our strength, now it seems the weakest.

Not too happy Spurs snatched Modric - another reason to hate them more.

anyway, content with a draw. especially from 2 behind.

MARTINS' GOAL.........so good

Guest Hodgson09

We really missed Faye today, Geremi was a bit of a let down with the amount of turnovers he had, and I don't think he knew too much about his goal. But good to get a draw after playing so poorly. We are on track to finish with more than 43 points so yay to that.

Can't believe that. I went out after 30 minutes. :lol:

f****** fantastic. When was the last time we were two goals down and salvaged something?

We're playing s**** at the moment and still scoring lots of goals, still getting points. Is this really Newcastle?

Decent point. We probably can't catch them now but what the hey. More unbeaten-ness.

I think the last time was actually against West Ham.

Guest newcastle4life

A point away is a good result especially at a top 10 side coming from 2-0 down. shows the side confidence and keeps the unbeaten run going.

Can't believe that. I went out after 30 minutes. :lol:

f****** fantastic. When was the last time we were two goals down and salvaged something?

We're playing s**** at the moment and still scoring lots of goals, still getting points. Is this really Newcastle?

Decent point. We probably can't catch them now but what the hey. More unbeaten-ness.

I think the last time was actually against West Ham.

Aye, I think it was. At home last season. 2-0 down, Ramage went off injured, Milner with an offside goal and Solano penalty. 2-2.

Bit of a reality check for the people who appeared to think we had some sort of "Canadian Maldini" playing for our reserves.

Hopefully in the long run today will do him some good though. 

Decent result, when was the last time we came from 2 goals down to get anything from a game?

EDIT: someone just answered that

Guest rebel_yell12

How many times did the lads put their heads down earlier in the season, before Keegan came in? Even before the recent unbeaten run started, the lads were starting to look like they had more spirit.  The comeback at Birmingham proved to them that if they went down, it didn't mean a loss, which they've reinforced for themselves today.  That must be good for team spirit.  Going down 2-0, away from home, and then pulling a draw out is nothing to snigger at, imo -- I'd have taken a draw before the match, so I'm not disappointed.  Well, I am, but not massively.  

That said, I didn't actually get to see the match (apparently FoxSoccer has hit its Newcastle quota or something, after showing the last three prior to Sunderland).  Am happy to see that Martins scored (he and Owen should be priority signings over the summer (but then I think this 4-3-3 could be the 'way forward' so long as Owen stays) as it proves that when one striker is quiet, the other will come up to bite the opposition -- Martins had an off-match v. Sunderland, Owen took up the slack.  Owen was quiet today (was it an off-match, or did he end up in the midfield more to deal with West Ham's 4-4-2, and that's why he didn't get a shot on goal?) and Martins scored to bring Newcastle back into the match.  Balance.  The best teams don't rely on one player, no matter how good he is (and I do very highly rate Owen, but between fitness [touch wood] and his tendency to be streaky...) so it's good to see Newcastle having a competition for top scorer.  

On paper, Edgar-Taylor in the centreback positions looked a bit worrying -- I'm assuming it was more so in life?  Average age of our back four today -- 23 years.  Average number of seasons in the Premier League -- 1.  I would be more comfortable with Edgar in the middle if Faye were there (a la Reading) simply because Faye's experience is greater than Taylor's.  I'm not criticising Taylor, just pointing out that Faye's experience would probably let him cover for Edgar's inevitable youthful folly a bit better than Taylor could do.  

Still, the lads got back into it.  The attack again showed the defense that it's all right for them to not keep a clean sheet, it doesn't guarantee a loss if the opponent scores.  That's the sort of thing, imo, that encourages fullbacks to help out in attack rather than play scared and stay deep, which in turn helps create better play and, of course, goals (look at how much Enrique and esp. Beye's movement has given to the side of late).  Not a bad match, and how many teams wouldn't be at least a bit chuffed with a 7-game unbeaten streak at this point in a season?  

Guest Knightrider

5 points from 3 away games, unbeaten in 3 away games, 3 goals conceded 6 scored, 1 clean sheet. Went behind in two of them, all 3 in Southern England. Goof form indeed.