Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

What do you know of the player, NE5? Is he any good?

what do you know of the player Dave to trumpet such support for him .... ?

Along with such a transfer policy in general ?

In case you haven't noticed - and not just you - my comments are all aimed at the transfer policy in general, or what it appears to be so far, not this particular player.

I know you sincerely think this "new system" will succeed, being the supposed opposite of the old direction that you despised because you despised the people, but I'm afraid the way to success is through spending and bringing in the top players just like all the other successful clubs in history. Don't know how many times I have to say this, but Alex Ferguson has been at Old Trafford for over 20 years, if it were possible to win these trophies by hunting around for pompey-type transfer dealings, then he would have gone that way by now.

This has always been the case.

If the club operates a "sell to buy" policy, you will all be bleating your heads off in a few years time when the penny drops.

I haven't seen Amara Diané play before, but by looking at his statistics (38 games/11 goals) and his age (25) it seems he would be an economical purchase.

Newcastle couldn't go out now and pay £10 - 15m on more than one player in my opinion as it wouldn't be financially viable. Also, you mention trophies and Pompey-type dealings, would that not be the club who won a trophy this year and now have European football to look forward to next season?

Newcastle haven't always had the best of luck with big money signings, look at Albert Luque!

So NE5 are we not allowed to sign anyone under £x m?

Simple yes or no will do.

I wont hold my breath though.  ;)

If they're not £20m each he doesn't want to know.

fredbob gets sillier all the time Dave, fancy you agreeing with him  bluelaugh.gif

Are you kidding me? This is priceless.

I'm silly for not judging the boards ambition based on the a rumoured bid for a cheapish player?? Haha - you get better and better, the thing is even as you read this you will know how stupid you are being but will soldier on irrespective.

Where were you when we supposedly big for £15m+ Modric? What were the clubs ambitions then?

ever heard of the phrase "don't believe anything till the player walks through the door and kisses the badge"

Oh my god.

Some of the stuff you come out with NE5 - completely oblivious arent you?

Remind me again - has Diane walked through the door and kissed the badge yet? Do we even know we've bid for him?

Set yourself up for that one. Im sure you'll ignore this though.

Cringe-tastic

You have absolutley no retort to this so i fully expect a change of tack or you to ignore this.

EDIT: And i'm the silly one.

eerrrr........I wasn't talking about Diane and didn't mention him - see clipped posts.

And get a sense of humour.

As you won't be told anything, of which you have no first hand experience, it may be the best course of action for you

:sleepy2:

no retort then ?

good.

Come on - surely you dont  actually think your response warrants a retort?? - it was shit and did nothig to enhance your original ramblings. I'd barely give it a 2/10.

Who are you trying to kid?

Which particular transfer is that that the club has made this year that makes you question their supposed ambition? Modric? Woodgate? Barnes?

I haven't seen him play, so I cannot judge whether this would be a worthwhile transfer and therefore whether it would be a good move by the club. Simple.

I've no idea how you can glean the club's entire transfer policy from this one potential transfer, and at the same time completely dismiss the efforts to get Modric.

In case you haven't noticed - and not just you - my comments are all aimed at the transfer policy in general, or what it appears to be so far, not this particular player.

I know you sincerely think this "new system" will succeed, being the supposed opposite of the old direction that you despised because you despised the people, but I'm afraid the way to success is through spending and bringing in the top players just like all the other successful clubs in history. Don't know how many times I have to say this, but Alex Ferguson has been at Old Trafford for over 20 years, if it were possible to win these trophies by hunting around for pompey-type transfer dealings, then he would have gone that way by now.

If the club operates a "sell to buy" policy, you will all be bleating your heads off in a few years time when the penny drops.

I haven't seen Amara Diané play before, but by looking at his statistics (38 games/11 goals) and his age (25) it seems he would be an economical purchase.

Newcastle couldn't go out now and pay £10 - 15m on more than one player in my opinion as it wouldn't be financially viable. Also, you mention trophies and Pompey-type dealings, would that not be the club who won a trophy this year and now have European football to look forward to next season?

Newcastle haven't always had the best of luck with big money signings, look at Albert Luque!

blimey.

an "economical purchase".

wtf is that supposed to mean ?

I find it quite sad that so many people have lowered their expectations in the past year.

Shown by the fact that because Portsmouth are now about to play in european competition for the first time ever in their history, you have now convinced yourself they have had a better last 16 years than us and are now a bigger, better and more attractive club into the bargain.

:nope:

I haven't seen him play, so I cannot judge whether this would be a worthwhile transfer and therefore whether it would be a good move by the club. Simple.

I've no idea how you can glean the club's entire transfer policy from this one potential transfer, and at the same time completely dismiss the efforts to get Modric.

what conclusion would you draw if the expensive signing was lost and the cheap 25 year old who isnt' first choice for his club goes through ?

I've tried to explain Dave, enough times now.

What is your opinion on ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool not exercising this financial prudency if it brings such results as you think it does

I find it quite sad that so many people have lowered their expectations in the past year.

Haha, that's fucking genius. :lol: :lol: :lol:

have a look back before the takeover and earlier , and see how many of your posters were complaining about not splashing cash, and suffering the indignity of having to qualify for europe "via the back door"

Did Liverpool not exercise prudency when they didn't spend £12m on Simao and bought Pennant instead?

Did Chelsea not exercise prudency when they didn't spend £25m on Dani Alves and bought Belletti instead? (and now they've apparently found someone better)

One case does not make a rule.

Who is the 'expensive signing' that we have lost out? Diane is a striker. Which expensive striker have we actually gone for? Gomis?

Haha, that's f***ing genius. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

you can answer my response to Dave, which includes yourself, and your comments last November that we shouldn't be spending cash in January and you would simply be happy not to get relegated

what conclusion would you draw if the expensive signing was lost and the cheap 25 year old who isnt' first choice for his club goes through ?

What is your opinion on ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool not exercising this financial prudency if it brings such results as you think it does

Sidestepping my point yet again.

Where did I mention anything about financial prudency, let alone say it brings results? Please point it out. Oh that's right, you can't, because I never said it.

How can you glean the club's entire transfer policy from this one potential transfer, and at the same time completely dismiss the efforts to get Modric?

Of course it stands to reason that the expensive player is harder to get. It's hardly rocket science is it?

Over the years we've made loads of cheap signings, and loads of expensive signings. Some worked from each category, some failed. Yet you're jumping all over this deal like a rash purely because it's cheap. As I said earlier in this thread, we didn't hear a peep fom you about Modric until it fell through.

Sidestepping my point yet again.

Where did I mention anything about financial prudency, let alone say it brings results? Please point it out. Oh that's right, you can't, because I never said it.

How can you glean the club's entire transfer policy from this one potential transfer, and at the same time completely dismiss the efforts to get Modric?

Of course it stands to reason that the expensive player is harder to get. It's hardly rocket science is it?

Over the years we've made loads of cheap signings, and loads of expensive signings. Some worked from each category, some failed. Yet you're jumping all over this deal like a rash purely because it's cheap. As I said earlier in this thread, we didn't hear a peep fom you about Modric until it fell through.

Well, its quite simple.

Do you think the new board have the best approach to the transfer market ie capping wages, lowering contract demands, losing out to Spurs [for whatever reason] and Keegans recent comments ......... or the old board who proved their ambition by helping their managers to bring top quality to players as much as possible according to the managers judgement, and actually attracted them to the club.

It's not the fact that the expensive player is harder to get, its that he has chose to go to an - in my opinion - inferior club, because the club couldn't sell itself to him. And Keegans comments have added weight to the feeling that something isn't right, or wasn't right. You must be blind or totally deluded not to see this.

You're cherry-picking the best bits from the old board. How about the last three years of their reign in which we were managed by two absolute retards, was pretty much consistently shit on the pitch except for Roeder's honeymoon period and ended up in financial trouble (borne out by the money we were spending to refinance a loan or whatever it was we paid £2m for)?

you can answer my response to Dave, which includes yourself, and your comments last November that we shouldn't be spending cash in January and you would simply be happy not to get relegated

NE5 man - i adhere to your request all the time, im forever pointing retorting to your responses even when they arent coherent or sensible.

Just to reiterate - you're twisting the Jan budget thing and all in all, at the end of the day it was 100% vindicated. So you have no argument there.

And as for the question posed to Dave - im not sure too many people were bothered with the boards mistakes pre SBr i think alot of commentary on the old board is in referecne to the second they sacked SBR. No one is stupid enough to let anyone getaway with something on the back of something they achieved previous to a major mistake. You;re an idiot if you do.

Will you answer this question:

Who do you hold responsible for the position we are in now? I mean if we are £100m behind the top 4, which board is responsible for letting us get so far behind?

Simple question - im sure you'll be a hypocrite and not retort.

the thng is is that alot of people know the answer to this question and are therefore allowing the new board the time to make a difference.

EDIT: You just seem to be on a one man mission to vindicate the old board when in actual fact 95% of the people on here make no reference to the old board whatsoever. I dont know why.

People recoginse its in the past, people also recognise the vlaue of change and are willing to see where this new board takes us becasue at the moment they've appointed Keegan - reasonably backed a manager they didnt appoint and implemented a new structure which may or may not work they've also completely rebuilt our scouting system and the only thing they need to do now is put the money on the table - which they seem keen to do (Modric and Woodgate).

People also recogine that if at the end of the summer they havent put the money on the table then we have problems and what you say will be vindicated.

NE5 man - i adhere to your request all the time, im forever pointing retorting to your responses even when they arent coherent or sensible.

Just to reiterate - you're twisting the Jan budget thing and all in all, at the end of the day it was 100% vindicated. So you have no argument there.

And as for the question posed to Dave - im not sure too many people were bothered with the boards mistakes pre SBr i think alot of commentary on the old board is in referecne to the second they sacked SBR.  No one is stupid enough to let anyone getaway with something on the back of something they achieved previous to a major mistake. You;re an idiot if you do.

Will you answer this question:

Who do you hold responsible for the position we are in now? I mean  if we are £100m behind the top 4, which board is responsible for letting us get so far behind?

Simple question - im sure you'll be a hypocrite and not retort.

the thng is is that alot of people know the answer to this question and are therefore allowing the  new board the time to make a difference.

it was 100% vindicated ?

It certainly wasn't.

Finishing higher up the league would have been worth more money. And got a player in before others, for cheaper than the summer ie as in Woodgate in 2003.

You said you would be happy to not get relegated. What was your expectation in previous years ? Were you grumbling about not splashing cash and not qualifying for europe ?

You don't make sense.

blimey.

Shown by the fact that because Portsmouth are now about to play in european competition for the first time ever in their history, you have now convinced yourself they have had a better last 16 years than us and are now a bigger, better and more attractive club into the bargain.

An economical purhcase in my opinion would be one that doesnt cause too much of a dent in the wage bill or transfer budget.

I read the last part of your comment as if you were trying to convince yourself that your right. I would say that Portsmouth are probably a more attractive option than Newcastle for now. Also, Newcastle were better than Portsmouth in the 90's and early 2000's, but stupid management appointments from the old board sorted that out.

Of course expectation are going to be lower! We were challenging for the top in 2003 and are now mid table, in fact I think people would be complaining of over expectation if I actually thought we would get into the Champions League this season. I would love for Newcastle to be near the top beating Man Utd and Chelsea etc, but realistically its not going to happen straight away.

We hadn't signed the lad because the thread title didn't say so, there was only going to be one reason why this thread had doubled in size since I last read it. Don't know why I even bothered to look :lol:

fucks sake man. anyone would think we had a queue of world class players lined up outside SJP begging to sign.

we are a mid table side, who aren't in europe, who have a history of hiring and firing managers, we're based in a small city in the north east of england, we're trying to rebuild the club finances after years of mismanagement.

and we've proven time and time again that throwing money at "big name signings" hasn't led to success. we have just pissed transfer fees and massive wages up the wall.

it's all about building a decent sized squad, putting a solid team together and doing it without bankrupting the club. get a grip on reality and get used to the idea !

blimey.

An economical purhcase in my opinion would be one that doesnt cause too much of a dent in the wage bill or transfer budget.

I read the last part of your comment as if you were trying to convince yourself that your right. I would say that Portsmouth are probably a more attractive option than Newcastle for now. Also, Newcastle were better than Portsmouth in the 90's and early 2000's, but stupid management appointments from the old board sorted that out.

Of course expectation are going to be lower! We were challenging for the top in 2003 and are now mid table, in fact I think people would be complaining of over expectation if I actually thought we would get into the Champions League this season. I would love for Newcastle to be near the top beating Man Utd and Chelsea etc, but realistically its not going to happen straight away.

if an "economical purchase" isn't good enough for what you want then in the end its a shit purchase. And a club like Newcastle should be making "good signings" not "economical signings".

Portsmouth are currently in their highest league position for 50 years. However, they are also in the red. So those people who consider success to be on a balance sheet rather than on the pitch should be aware they have shit directors.

They are also nowhere near as big a club or an attraction as Newcastle. The only thing better about it is the warmer weather. They aren't a bad club, better than quite a few. But better than us ? Not a chance. In fact they haven't been above us since the 1980's, pretty much the same as Spurs didn't trump us over 2 players since the 1980's either.

both Pompey and Spurs have won cups this year.

what have we won ?

fuck all lad.

and we have generally been considered the laughing stock of the league for most of 07/08.

You give us far too much credit.