Arda Turan?

Guest hindu times

I don't think one can read too much into the goal. He was given the ball in plenty of space, he was allowed to turn on to his stronger foot too easily and the shot looked to be heading for the keeper until it took a deflection.

Based on last night, he looks to me a bit of a gamble. It depends on our budget, and whether we can afford to take it.

He got the ball in basically the last chance of the game with his countries hopes of going any further in the competition riding on what he did with it.  Yet he was calm enough and confident enough (at 21) to take it on and get into a shooting position, and strike the ball very well (looked to be heading to the side of the goal to me as well).  Was it the best goal of all time?, no.  Would it have gone in without the deflection?, quite possibly.  Should it be downplayed either way? no.

The way I see it he played well despite being hindered by the conditions and scored an extremely important goal for his country, simple as that.  He definitely impressed me.

Well said.

I don't think one can read too much into the goal. He was given the ball in plenty of space, he was allowed to turn on to his stronger foot too easily and the shot looked to be heading for the keeper until it took a deflection.

Based on last night, he looks to me a bit of a gamble. It depends on our budget, and whether we can afford to take it.

He got the ball in basically the last chance of the game with his countries hopes of going any further in the competition riding on what he did with it.  Yet he was calm enough and confident enough (at 21) to take it on and get into a shooting position, and strike the ball very well (looked to be heading to the side of the goal to me as well).  Was it the best goal of all time?, no.  Would it have gone in without the deflection?, quite possibly.  Should it be downplayed either way? no.

The way I see it he played well despite being hindered by the conditions and scored an extremely important goal for his country, simple as that.  He definitely impressed me.

Well said.

I'd agree really, in a lot of ways he was better than I expected - I didn't think he'd be as good tracking back. While watching the game it did cross my mind that we might tie up the deal quickly like Lazio did before other clubs started sniffing for Rozenhal. I wouldn't be too happy if the Euros alerts other clubs or ends up inflating Arda's price.

Guest teepee

Well said.

I'd agree really, in a lot of ways he was better than I expected - I didn't think he'd be as good tracking back. While watching the game it did cross my mind that we might tie up the deal quickly like Lazio did before other clubs started sniffing for Rozenhal. I wouldn't be too happy if the Euros alerts other clubs or ends up inflating Arda's price.

there is, however, a distinct possibilty that turkey will get one more game, so there might not be too much time for him to impress.

that aside, i'd also like to see this deal done quickly.

Well said.

He was certainly fearless in the way he took the goal, and throughout showed a lot of confidence and determination. I was talking on a purely techincal level, and specifically for the goal he didn't do anything that would be beyond the average Premiership wide player.

Guest Leftfoot
i saw really good ball control and skills last night. just take 10 seconds in when he went through 2 swiss players and was fouled. was very impressed by the way he was everywhere as well. was really the main man for the turks and you always want someone to pick up the baton when others around the place are finding it hard.

He did a "roulette" when he went past those players. They didn't show any replays for some reason though. I think you might find it if you search for "arda 360" on youtube.

Guest Petay

I was impressed overall, looked quite quick but not reliant on speed.  What not many people are picking up on is that he looked quite strong.  I think we should try and get him signed up nice and quickly, if a manager can agree to a new job during the Euros in between managing training and preparations for the next match, I see no reason why a player who just has to train and play can't sign a contract especially as his agent will do most of the sorting.

I was impressed overall, looked quite quick but not reliant on speed.  What not many people are picking up on is that he looked quite strong.  I think we should try and get him signed up nice and quickly, if a manager can agree to a new job during the Euros in between managing training and preparations for the next match, I see no reason why a player who just has to train and play can't sign a contract especially as his agent will do most of the sorting.

Different rules in every camp.

As far as we know, Scolari might have signed before the start of the tournament. The news was released at a time of minimum distraction, ie when Portugal had guaranteed top spot in their group.

Guest fuchs34

NO VIDEOS PLEASE  Arda Turan UEFA man of the match..

please watch the goal. Maybe you think its easy how he gets the ball on his right and shoots, but it isnt. He is a very athletic and smart player. I think he knows football better than most of the coaches.

STOP QUOTING HIM, YOU'RE ONLY MAKING MY JOB HARDER. GIT!  Arda Turan UEFA man of the match..

please watch the goal. Maybe you think its easy how he gets the ball on his right and shoots, but it isnt. He is a very athletic and smart player. I think he knows football better than most of the coaches.

:lol:

A bold prediction indeed Alex.  He looked good to me and that is the first time I've seen him play.  His passing and movement were good, he was two footed and looked strong, he also tracked back well.  Looked a class act to me.  Call me idealistic, but I can't see these attributes disappearing overnight, so I'm going to say that at some point he'll have another decent game. 

Overrated. He played a decent game but he won't repeat it.

A bold prediction indeed Alex.  He looked good to me and that is the first time I've seen him play.  His passing and movement were good, he was two footed and looked strong, he also tracked back well.  Looked a class act to me.  Call me idealistic, but I can't see these attributes disappearing overnight, so I'm going to say that at some point he'll have another decent game. 

I saw the Youtube video which showed he could go past a man and had some strength on the ball, but it was a Youtube compilation so you take it with a pinch of salt. I did notice a lack of goals on that clip, but it's since become clear that he's scored 20 goals in 60 games for Galatasaray which shows he knows is way to the net. Having watched the Euro game against Switzerland, he looked pretty good for reasons I've already said.

I'm assuming Alex20 has seen more of him, maybey that's what he's basing his opinion of over-rated on?

Guest Leftfoot

"Alex 20" a fan of Alex from Fenerbahce (he wears the number 20 shirt). Obviously he will find it hard to cheer for a Galatasaray player.

I've seen all of Arda's matches since he returned from his loan spell at Manisaspor 2 years ago and I know he can play a lot better than what he did against Switzerland.

His confidence seems to be growing lately. He has been a lot more direct with the ball and not affraid to take a shot on goal and as a result he has been scoring more goals. 

It will be interesting to see how he plays against the Czechs on a proper pitch.

One of the moves that impressed me most was when he turned a player in midfield and slid a pin point through ball to Tuncay (only for Tuncay's first touch to waste the chance of a one and one with the keeper).

Guest Alex20

"Alex 20" a fan of Alex from Fenerbahce (he wears the number 20 shirt). Obviously he will find it hard to cheer for a Galatasaray player.

I've seen all of Arda's matches since he returned from his loan spell at Manisaspor 2 years ago and I know he can play a lot better than what he did against Switzerland.

His confidence seems to be growing lately. He has been a lot more direct with the ball and not affraid to take a shot on goal and as a result he has been scoring more goals. 

It will be interesting to see how he plays against the Czechs on a proper pitch.

I was 20 at the time when I signed up, name is Alex. I'm from Holland...so yeah. Your post doesn't make much sense.

Remember what you said when we signed Emre ? Remember how that turned out ? I think I made the best post about him, I got C+ and a lot of channels so I can watch almost all european games. I used to watch a lot of Serie A and knew him better than most of you turkish lads (fener or gala fans) would know of at that time.

Remember Tuncay ? Yeah. So sorry but I wouldn't put too much thought in your posts, especially about Turkish players.

My aunt dates a Turkish guy, he also receives the Turkish league and tells me a lot about it, I've watched a couple games with him and we talked about Arda.

Tuncay was one of my favorite players (along with most of the board) when he was with u17 turkey playing against England (Rooney) and Portugal (Ronaldo).

I saw him play in the champions league and some national team games against france etc. and he had huge potential, much more than Arda, but look at him now, failed to impress in the PL, utter sh!t tbh. And Tuncay was scoring more goals than Arda in that weak Turkish league.

Arda isn't more gifted than Emre, technically. He doesn't track back in general, doesn't help out the D,

and he loves to dribble, sometimes too much and isn't able to do it well most of the time. He turns the ball over A LOT.

The swiss game was one of those games were all went well for him. Plus it doesn't hurt when you play against weak Swiss defenders. I'd say the Czech game will be a decent test for him.

Playing against VERY WEAK turkish wingers in that weak Turkish league is one thing, playing against strong quality wing players in the Premier league (best league) is another thing. I don't think he played THAT great in Turkey, imagine what'll happen in the PL.

He plays the left...but isn't a winger. Isn't capable of playing in the middle, isn't capable of playing as an AMC. He doesn't have the abilities a true winger has, that alone will doom him in the PL.

Arda plays good against weak teams. He's a mediocre player, not bad at all but he ain't great either.

That's my opinion about Arda, take it or leave it as you will. I don't think he is as great as people say he is and that's why I called him overrated, I never said he's a horrible player. He's decent. I said the same about Emre, amazing technically but his injuries will become a huge problem and will break his career. Arda won't have those injury issues, his issues will come from his inconsistency and not being able to get to THAT level that's needed in the PL.

I was 20 at the time when I signed up, name is Alex. I'm from Holland...so yeah. Your post doesn't make much sense.

Remember what you said when we signed Emre ? Remember how that turned out ? I think I made the best post about him, I got C+ and a lot of channels so I can watch almost all european games. I used to watch a lot of Serie A and knew him better than most of you turkish lads (fener or gala fans) would know of at that time.

Remember Tuncay ? Yeah. So sorry but I wouldn't put too much thought in your posts, especially about Turkish players.

My aunt dates a Turkish guy, he also receives the Turkish league and tells me a lot about it, I've watched a couple games with him and we talked about Arda.

Tuncay was one of my favorite players (along with most of the board) when he was with u17 turkey playing against England (Rooney) and Portugal (Ronaldo).

I saw him play in the champions league and some national team games against france etc. and he had huge potential, much more than Arda, but look at him now, failed to impress in the PL, utter sh!t tbh. And Tuncay was scoring more goals than Arda in that weak Turkish league.

Arda isn't more gifted than Emre, technically. He doesn't track back in general, doesn't help out the D,

and he loves to dribble, sometimes too much and isn't able to do it well most of the time. He turns the ball over A LOT.

The swiss game was one of those games were all went well for him. Plus it doesn't hurt when you play against weak Swiss defenders. I'd say the Czech game will be a decent test for him.

Playing against VERY WEAK turkish wingers in that weak Turkish league is one thing, playing against strong quality wing players in the Premier league (best league) is another thing. I don't think he played THAT great in Turkey, imagine what'll happen in the PL.

He plays the left...but isn't a winger. Isn't capable of playing in the middle, isn't capable of playing as an AMC. He doesn't have the abilities a true winger has, that alone will doom him in the PL.

Arda plays good against weak teams. He's a mediocre player, not bad at all but he ain't great either.

That's my opinion about Arda, take it or leave it as you will. I don't think he is as great as people say he is and that's why I called him overrated, I never said he's a horrible player. He's decent. I said the same about Emre, amazing technically but his injuries will become a huge problem and will break his career. Arda won't have those injury issues, his issues will come from his inconsistency and not being able to get to THAT level that's needed in the PL.

Agreed. As I said earlier a good prospect and tidy, with his wits about him. Will he be a breakthrough player in the PL? It's a gamble and not one worth 13m Euro IMO. For less money and with other players coming in he could be part of a larger package of options, but certainly wouldn't single him out as the one to change our fortunes.

Remember what you said when we signed Emre ? Remember how that turned out ? I think I made the best post about him,

Care to post it?  It'd be interesting to read what you said now that Emre's going.

Tuncay's a striker while Turan's a winger.  Which makes a comparison based on goals very silly.

Agreed. As I said earlier a good prospect and tidy, with his wits about him. Will he be a breakthrough player in the PL? It's a gamble and not one worth 13m Euro IMO. For less money and with other players coming in he could be part of a larger package of options, but certainly wouldn't single him out as the one to change our fortunes.

Hey stop trying to take credit for Alex20's hard work and stellar scouting. So typical of you Parky. Always want to be down with the cool kids.

Alex20 cheers for the info. Makes me feel better about us not unnecessarily raising our supposed bid when Gala got all funny. I guess if we do get him in we can only hope he continues to improve as he is only young.

Guest fuchs34

Alex20. Your comment is completely bullshit. Arda is a Top Class player and he isn't even near to mediocre or the crap player Tuncay. Newcastle is a mediocre team in England and I think you should pray to sign a player like arda. But I think from now on it will be very difficult. Arda showed his quality in Champions League, in national Team matches and he lead Galatasaray to the championship in Turkey against Fenerbahce which played QF in Champions League this year. Forgot about his age, Arda is a real leader on the pitch. Every time he gets the ball, he tries to make en effect on the game and not just passing around the ball. If Arda gets the ball he will do something above average, because he knows his own quality and has no fear against any defender. I'm watching every single game of Arda since 3 years and I'm following the top leagues in europe too. This guy will be a star. And the club which wants to sign him has to pay the money he is worth. And this is at least 25 Million Euros. He is the best young prospect Turkey ever had.

Guest Leftfoot

Well Alex from Holland. I find it a bit odd that you would know so much about turkish football and Arda when the only chance of watching him play on a regular basis is by watching the turkish league. The turkish league is only shown on LigTV... a turkish subscription channel.

You are entitled to your opinion of course. :)

Guest Alex20

True, it's too much money for an unproven player like him. Not saying he won't become a breakthrough player in the PL.

But is it worth to gamble that much money for him ? Tuncay is one of those other turkish young prospects I was so high about, look how that turned out. At least Middlesbrough didn't pay any fee for him. I think the best thing to do is wait till his contract ends and buy him then. The asking price from turkish clubs for their players is just ridiculous.

Remember what you said when we signed Emre ? Remember how that turned out ? I think I made the best post about him,

Tuncay's a striker while Turan's a winger.  Which makes a comparison based on goals very silly.

See that's the thing. Tuncay rarely played as a striker for fener or the national team.

He played the same position as Arda and scored more goals. So the comparison is pretty fair.

And Arda is more of a winger than Tuncay, yet Tuncay scores more goals from that position.

I think the kid is gifted and very technical, I just don't think he's suited for the EPL, that's all.