The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Geordiesned

"Orange is bright again, and has a future".  :-[

He really is an awful commentator.  Pre-written, scripted shite all the way.

Jim Beglin was worse tonight. I reckon Arshavin must be shagging his wife the amount of times he accused him of diving when he'd clearly been fouled. Plus the pen that Russia weren't given - the replay clear as day showed the Dutch player stand on his foot bringing him down yet Beglin tells us he ref made the right decision! Complete and utter knob jockey!

"Orange is bright again, and has a future".  :-[

He really is an awful commentator.  Pre-written, scripted shite all the way.

Jim Beglin was worse tonight. I reckon Arshavin must be shagging his wife the amount of times he accused him of diving when he'd clearly been fouled. Plus the pen that Russia weren't given - the replay clear as day showed the Dutch player stand on his foot bringing him down yet Beglin tells us he ref made the right decision! Complete and utter knob jockey!

Beglin just spends every match saying the player should have shot when he crossed, crossed when he shot, shown him outside when he's shown him inside etc................

They'll be putting "I think he's made the wrong choice there" on his gravestone

Beglin is a right tosser, always uses a tone that comes across as patronising to the player and uses hindsight to make himself look intelligent, like when Pavlyuchenko shot over after Arshavin put it across the face - "Why did he shoot there?! Should have laid it back across" Shut the fuck up you know nothing bellend. :idiot2:

Beglin is a right tosser, always uses a tone that comes across as patronising to the player and uses hindsight to make himself look intelligent, like when Pavlyuchenko shot over after Arshavin put it across the face - "Why did he shoot there?! Should have laid it back across" Shut the fuck up you know nothing bellend. :idiot2:

Good to see that everyone is picking up on the most important part of tonight's quarter final in highlighting Beglin's woeful co-commentary. When I am watching a great match unfold over 90 mins, I don't want it ruined by a clueless drunk on ITV.

Guest Stephen927

This is why I don't agree with resting players in major tournaments. You need to carry momemtum through, getting a team settled as quickly as possible. Fair enough bringing key players off in the second half, but really you have to start a same 11 as much as you can, bad performances and suspensions aside of course.

Arshavins cross for the 2nd goal was beyond beautiful, how the f*** he managed to deliver such a nice ball from that angle I'll never know.

Deflected

Guest Roland

And that was that then. Like I said last week, the team that has the best start in the groupstage, almost never wins the tournament at the end. Ah well, our team suprised me (and the rest of the world) but Russia deserved the win of course.

Le't's watch Italy to win it, thanks to us :(

the dutch only have themselves to blame. they stopped playing through the midfield and hoofed long balls up

I agree. They completely ran out of ideas.

Don't think so.  They ran out of ideas, but long balls weren't the problem.  They never stopped trying to play the ball straight down the middle it seemed to me, and had no plan B.  The Russians kept things very tight in the middle, dominated the Dutch midfield and gave them no room.  The match was crying out for a pacey wingers to test the Russian full backs instead, but Van Basten kept him on the bench and through on Van Persie instead (who was f***ing hopeless).

He should have kept Kuyt on the right, put Robben on the left and tried that formation in the second half.  It was clear after 30 min that Van der Vaart & Sneijder weren't going to have the same sort of room.  I was supporting Holland, and it was frustrating as hell watching them keep forcing it in the final third when there was all sorts of room out wide.  All that talent but everything was going through two players.

Just got in - wow, what a fantastic result for Russia. Thought they looked really good against Sweden; it's fantastic how they've kept going. Especially after being swept aside at the start by Spain.

Was that whole red card retraction correct btw?

3 group winners out.

3 group runners-up in the semi-finals.

More to the point, momentum is more important than rest. The 3 teams who had to win their last group games and have maintained their intensity have won their quarter-finals. Certainly Portugal and Holland who are teams who play well when they get into a rythym suffered from halting that by playing their reserves in the last group games.

On that basis, Spain have no chance against Italy tomorrow.

Good post.

3 group winners out.

3 group runners-up in the semi-finals.

More to the point, momentum is more important than rest. The 3 teams who had to win their last group games and have maintained their intensity have won their quarter-finals. Certainly Portugal and Holland who are teams who play well when they get into a rythym suffered from halting that by playing their reserves in the last group games.

On that basis, Spain have no chance against Italy tomorrow.

Good post.

If Aragones is a good coach as well as a slimey racist bastard, he will make that exact point to his team tonight.  He can't allow Italy to dictate the pace....they are old and slow and really have no business winning tomorrow (although they probably will....)

Spain have played some of the nicest passing football of the tournament so far - i'll be proper gutted if Italy slither their way through again tomorrow; their chief tactic being: bore-a the opposition to death and then-a score.

Spain have played some of the nicest passing football of the tournament so far - i'll be proper gutted if Italy slither their way through again tomorrow; their chief tactic being: bore-a the opposition to death and then-a score.

I thought Italy played some nice stuff against France.

I thought Italy played some nice stuff against France.

Yes, but then i had one of the most boring pizzas ever tonight. Works both ways.

"Arshavins cross for the 2nd goal was beyond beautiful, "

it reminded me of john barnes and ian rush when we played evertonin the cup in 97 or 98.  Barnes crossed from an impossible angle and rush walked the ball into the net.

Must be depressing for zenit P  fans to see him play so wel....they must know he willnow be a target for the big euro clubs.

best. tournament. ever.

When's the last time there wasn't a late goal in the game?

Still banking on Russia. Never bet against a Hiddink side.

He's a perrenial loser though.

Also the best international manager on the planet.  :thup:

That is a good point though, he's never actually won anything.

Coming from a Korean, that ain't much of a surprise ;)

:smitten: Hiddink = God

It was the officials that got Korea through, not Hiddink.

Never seen such cheating like it.

I'm going to pre-empt myself from having an NE5-esque diatribe.  :rolleyes:

Guest Roland

The match was crying out for a pacey wingers to test the Russian full backs instead, but Van Basten kept him on the bench and through on Van Persie instead (who was f***ing hopeless).

He should have kept Kuyt on the right, put Robben on the left and tried that formation in the second half. 

Robben was injured again and was not able to play. He didn't even join the warming up before the game.

Turkey have some serious trouble now because Nihat is likely out for the semis. At this point they have 14 players left including 2 keepers. 

Germany Italy final I reckon.

On another point, should they do away with extra time? We've had 2 extremes in 2 games - one good example of going for the win (Russia) and 2 teams playing for penalties - dunno what Holland were playing at! However, off the top of my head there were 3 bookings leading to suspensions, one injury to a key player and 2 overly tired teams in the semis. Potentially leading to less exciting games.

90 mins, then pens BUT..... each player on the pitch has to take one.