The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dutch commentator: "Emre, who is now luckily for him no longer tied to Newcastle United, where he suffered as a good player, but who doesn't?" That's how we are perceived in other countries guys.. :(

sounds like a t*** tbh

Why, because you don't like his opinion? We are widely perceived as a graveyard club in Europe unfortunately..

if an english commentator said similar unprovoked comments about a foreign club i'd think it was a stupid thing to say.

i don't even agree with it, and emre's problems here have been 100% down to him, not the club. i dont care if morons who know little about us think we are a 'graveyard' to be perfectly honest. most english people who know f*** all about us and get their opinions from tv or from the papers think our defence has been s*** for 15 years and that is a similar, unfounded stereotype.

anyway, pepe scores for real this time.

What do you mean by unprovoked? It certainly isn't unfounded, and I believe it is also pretty relevant as this is the image that our club has abroad, which obviously influences our ability to get foreign players in.. Anyway, as you say, good goal.

Dutch commentator: "Emre, who is now luckily for him no longer tied to Newcastle United, where he suffered as a good player, but who doesn't?" That's how we are perceived in other countries guys.. :(

sounds like a t*** tbh

Why, because you don't like his opinion? We are widely perceived as a graveyard club in Europe unfortunately..

if an english commentator said similar unprovoked comments about a foreign club i'd think it was a stupid thing to say.

i don't even agree with it, and emre's problems here have been 100% down to him, not the club. i dont care if morons who know little about us think we are a 'graveyard' to be perfectly honest. most english people who know f*** all about us and get their opinions from tv or from the papers think our defence has been s*** for 15 years and that is a similar, unfounded stereotype.

What do you mean by unprovoked? It certainly isn't unfounded, and I believe it is also pretty relevant as this is the image that our club has abroad, which obviously influences our ability to get foreign players in.. Anyway, as you say, good goal.

How come we managed to attract Beye last summer then, & Cacapa (to a lesser extent). 

Graveyard club, who more seasons that not play in Europe.  The rest of the clubs in this country must have a shocking reputation.

sounds like a t*** tbh

it's an international match, no need to be throwing in comments slagging a club off.

as i said, there's loads of stereotypical opinions floating round about our club, beliefs held by people who don't know much about us and get info from the papers and TV. one is about the shit defence, regardless of how well or bad the defence is. it's a total fucking myth as it varies as much as at any other club and was actually bloody good under keegan. another is about how our fans demand success or some such bollocks. the other is that we are a graveyard for players. some players do shit here, some do well. didn't see much about us being so bad for players when Robson was here. most of our bad signings weren't good enough to start with, the problem was buying in bad players and employing bad managers. it's especially irrelevent and unfounded in Emre's case as his problems had nowt to do with the club and he actually looked ok when he played.

that they say this in other countries just goes to show that there's idiots who spout crap overseas, not just in the UK>

sounds like a t*** tbh

How come we managed to attract Beye last summer then, & Cacapa (to a lesser extent). 

Graveyard club, who more seasons that not play in Europe.  The rest of the clubs in this country must have a shocking reputation.

It's not me saying this, it's the commentator on Dutch television. It's the way we are perceived abroad, like it or not. I get a lot of ridicule these days for supporting Newcastle, mainly because of our uncanny ability to turn good players into shit players, and our spending compared to our achievements. Other clubs have other reputations, i.e. Chelsea a club that bought success, Arsenal a club that buy and nurture talented youngsters, etc. A lot of clubs people are just indifferent about, but not us, we actually have a pretty bad reputation at the moment, and it won't make things easier for us.

Did he really just say "he just couldn't quite wave his magic wand... *dramatic pause*... and bring it under his spell"? Really?

He's gonna hear that back later and cry.

Emre is rubbish it has to be said.

He has been alright tonight but he just doesn't get forward enough, despite playing alongside a very good DM in Aurelio.

I've liked Moutinho tonight. Not as pretty on the eye as Deco, but very disciplined and does a lot of good and positive things on the pitch. More of a box to box sort and I think he would do well in the prem. Still only 21.

Guest lankybellwipe

Was that Turkey's third sub before? No sign on Turan tonight then.

Thats a car Wullie, jeeeeeeees

I love that camera shot from behind the net, that rises up!

Don't worry, I've left!

O0

Emre has been .....erm Emre.

I'm delighted we peddled the c***.

(cue last minute equalizer/winner)

He's produced some excellent forward passes though, but those up front havent made anything of them.

I think during Emre's last injury plagued season at Inter he put on a ton of weight that he hasn't been able to shift.

He just doesn't run with the ball much anymore and doesn't take people on enough with his dribbling. He just sits deep all game and knocks it about a bit. Very dissapointing.