Fabricio Coloccini?

Pilko

I don't think it's wise to use last season as an argument for not keeping him, because then we would have to sell about every player in the club.

We went down, it's up to the players now to take us up again and then fight for a place if we do get promoted.

Last year was just one utter crap season in all aspects, let's just forget it and start over.

If we get promoted we need to strengthen in just about every area to have any chance of staying up. 

Saying that we just need to forget last season is incredibly naive.

NEWCASTLE 3, SWANSEA 0. FABRICIO Coloccini insists he wasnt left on the shelf in Newcastles summer fire sale.

And the fed-up £8m defender hit back at claims that the only reason he is still at St Jamess Park is because no-one else wants him.

Coloccini, 27, boosted his outside hopes of a place in Argentinas World Cup squad with a man-of-the- match display to seal a fifth straight Toon victory.

The win keeps Chris Hughtons Championship leaders two points clear of nearest challengers West Brom.

Eyebrows were raised in the summer when the £60,000-a-week centre-back failed to join the £30m exodus of stars sold to slash Newcastles ­crippling wage bill after they crashed out of the Premier League.

After making his 50th Newcastle appearance, Coloccini said: I was annoyed because people were saying the only reason I wasnt going anywhere in the summer was because there werent any offers.

That wasnt true because the club and myself were getting a lot of offers.

Coloccini insists he owed it to the Toon Army not to join Michael Owen, Damien Duff, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka, Sebastien Bassong and Habib Beye in jumping ship.

He added: All I thought about over the summer was that I should stay and try to help us get back into the Premier League because the fans had been so good to me.

I wonder how the "offers" compared with (1) the fee we paid for him and (2) the salary he gets here.

I share your scepticism there.

I don't think he's changed as a player - it's the quality of the opposition that's different this season.

If the only problem was mental, I'd have some faith in him adjusting to top level English football, but I think the problem is also physical. He's too slow, he's not that strong and he's poor at set pieces. Basically, Premiership strikers were able to bully him, and when they managed to turn him or get him even slightly out of position he had no hope of recovery.

NEWCASTLE 3, SWANSEA 0. FABRICIO Coloccini insists he wasnt left on the shelf in Newcastles summer fire sale.

And the fed-up £8m defender hit back at claims that the only reason he is still at St Jamess Park is because no-one else wants him.

Coloccini, 27, boosted his outside hopes of a place in Argentinas World Cup squad with a man-of-the- match display to seal a fifth straight Toon victory.

The win keeps Chris Hughtons Championship leaders two points clear of nearest challengers West Brom.

Eyebrows were raised in the summer when the £60,000-a-week centre-back failed to join the £30m exodus of stars sold to slash Newcastles ­crippling wage bill after they crashed out of the Premier League.

After making his 50th Newcastle appearance, Coloccini said: I was annoyed because people were saying the only reason I wasnt going anywhere in the summer was because there werent any offers.

That wasnt true because the club and myself were getting a lot of offers.

Coloccini insists he owed it to the Toon Army not to join Michael Owen, Damien Duff, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka, Sebastien Bassong and Habib Beye in jumping ship.

He added: All I thought about over the summer was that I should stay and try to help us get back into the Premier League because the fans had been so good to me.

I wonder how the "offers" compared with (1) the fee we paid for him and (2) the salary he gets here.

I share your scepticism there.

I don't think he's changed as a player - it's the quality of the opposition that's different this season.

If the only problem was mental, I'd have some faith in him adjusting to top level English football, but I think the problem is also physical. He's too slow, he's not that strong and he's poor at set pieces. Basically, Premiership strikers were able to bully him, and when they managed to turn him or get him even slightly out of position he had no hope of recovery.

Surely set pieces and beasty strikers (a la Parkin) are more present in this league than the tier above, from what i've seen anyway. And of course there's a mental aspect, being clever is the biggest part of a defender's game moreso than being massive or exceptionally quick, take Micah Richards for example, he is the defender you've described above but failed miserably in the centre half role. If you're a defender that's not mentally on it, that's when you're done for.  He'll now be up to speed with the English Game, which is again arguably played at a quicker pace in this league.

Eyebrows were raised in the summer when the £60,000-a-week centre-back failed to join the £30m exodus of stars sold to slash Newcastle’s ­crippling wage bill after they crashed out of the Premier League.

He added: “All I thought about over the summer was that I should stay and try to help us get back into the Premier League because the fans had been so good to me.”

read: Money.

Don't think he had as terrible season last year as many think (though his performance definitely wasn't 10m worth). The main reason we conceded so many goals was that our midfield was outplayed in just about every game. I was getting pretty tired last season hearing other fans ripping at our defense as I think Beye, Bassong, Enrique, Taylor and Colo are all good defenders but when you have useless tossers like Smith and Butt who can't keep the ball for more than 5 seconds makes it is pretty hard to keep a clean sheet.

Hope he can cope next year if we go up, because I really do like him as a player. Refreshing seeing a centre half that is comfortble on the ball, tries to play out and can read the game defensively.

His shortcomings were shown up last season, hopefully he is adapting to the English game and is not looking good purely because of the drop in ability.

Guest geordienorway

My only concern for Colo is his pace. Coping with Chopra, Mackail-Smith and Fryatt is one thing, but playing Torres, Defoe and Anelka is completely different.

My only concern for Colo is his pace. Coping with Chopra, Mackail-Smith and Fryatt is one thing, but playing Torres, Defoe and Anelka is completely different.

The truth is, very few defenders in the Premier League can deal with Defoe and Anelka, and Torres is top class.

Coloccini should be a solid option for a Premier League defence, but no one's gonna argue he's a world beater.

Maybe, a season in the championship is what he needs, a season to get his confidence back. We know he has the ability to perform, he's proved that before hence why we paid 10M for him . He's looked good this season in an albeit shite league, he looks a lot calmer on the ball, better in the air and stronger, thats totally different to a Collocini who last season looked weak as water and had the turning speed of Geremi.

I seem to remember him whinging last year about joining the club and there was persistent rumours he couldnt settle, although I've no doubt if someone had offered him the wages he's on here he would have been off like a shot but it appears he's settled and got used to the North East. Hopefully if he does stay through January he can carry on his form and take it into the Premiership if we go up, thats when we'll see what he's made of. The same goes for Taylor aswell, I've been a big critisizer of the lad and last season imo he did nothing to change my opinion, hopefully he can develop into the player we hoped. These comments are pleasing, he's not coming out trying to draw intrest from other clubs infact he's done the opposite and said he turned down offers to stay.

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique Has the potential to be a good premiership defence, theres no doubt about that imo lets jsut hope its dosent become unfulfilled potential. 

I guess what we are hoping for, with all of the players not just Colo, is that they are so shamed at having to play in the championship this season that they make it their lifes goal to never return. In the most part they are certainly showing the desire needed to get back to the prem, albeit lacking in quality a few times. Maybe for the players it is a case of having to take a step back before they can move forward to becoming better at their job, it happens to people in the real world all the time.

With regards to Colo, he was very poor last year but he seems to have become a bit more robust this season and is clearly enjoying being technically better than 95% of the players he is coming up against. He has all the attributes to be a good premier league CB if he can stay focused, one of the few players we have who I think would fit into a top 10 club.

That's both Jonas and Coloccini now claiming that teams were interested in them but they wanted to stay to help us - who are they trying to convince, and who is this information meant for? Us? Yeah right.

To me, it reads like they're trying to repair damage from earlier on as they hope for a January move. A sort of "look, I'm not s***, people did want me, really" come-get-me plea. They know their reputations will have been tainted because of the lack of interest or concrete bids in the summer, so they're making sure that anyone who might be interested in them in January has an alternative view to the logical conclusion that noone wanted them because they must be s***.

Maybe I'm being too cynical here, but it does seem to come from the Michael Owen school of PR, whereby you claim loyalty and explain away criticisms purely in the hope that managers elsewhere buy those excuses and decide to take a punt on you.

Or maybe he was simply asked a question about the summer/January/transfers in general and just answered it?  Not conspiratorial enough?

No way. They're dirty foreign mercenaries who can't be trusted!

Seriously, if they (Colo and Jonas) are willing to stay and fight fair play to them, they were the two players I expected to be off first in the summer.

He's a good player. I've never doubted his ability, but I highly doubt he'll ever adapt to english football. Does this make him a bad player? No, it doesn't make him a bad player, but he's best suited in a foreign league. It certainly makes him a less complete player, but he's more than good enough to play in the Premiership.

took him a year to adapt to spanish football. the premier league esp at man utd is littered with foreign players with dodgy first seasons who went on to become decent.

also looked more and more nervous as the season wore on last year - but just imagine signing for a big club like the toon, keegan managing, feel good atmosphere, draw at man utd opening day - he was probably thinking that we would be challenging for a euro spot.

then all of the sudeen the shit hits the fan. hard to handle in your first few months in a new country - especially if you've probably been sold a dream.

We'll see. We're hardly stopping the opposition get chances currently, they just cant put them in this season.

He has to be a lot stronger, smarter & faster than he was last season to even do OK. Hopefully this season will help him.

Certainly has ability but he's an even worse confidence-player than Martins was. Even this season if we were to hit a rut, i think he'd turn into a liability all over again. I've always liked him to some degree because when he is up for it - plus with a bit of continuity (i honestly wouldn't want to take a guess at who he played the most games alongside last season) - he's an absolute brick wall.

If we were offered our money back i'd take it without even thinking.