The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Guest marky555

The bloke is a fucking donkey.

He's literally one of the worst players I've seen in the Prem, along with Bramble, who has also made millions from NUFC.

Distinct lack of criticism for Hughton here.

Hughton selecting the team and tactically manoevering them today was like watching Orville trying to tie shoelaces.

Shola was gash, aye, but if he shouldn't have been playing. Nor should he ever again tbh. If Hughton was gonna play Xisco anyway, then what was the point in playing Ameobi? Should have just gone 4-4-2 with Zoggy on the wing.

well said

Takes very little professional pride with his level of performance imo. Absolutely unforgiveable trait for a competitive footballer at any level.

I'll apologise for the following analogy but smiling & grining like some naughty kid saying '**ck me!i just farted during a class exam' when missing shots on goal in the midst of a tight game when others would try to find a hiding spot when 50000+ set of eyes are targetted upon them, doesn't wash with me. 

Players have different attitudes when dealing with matchday pressure. This in part relates to their football culture/playing style which are both reflections of their cultures. As an example Brazilians and Germans are the polar opposites to one another with relation to their respective mental approachs ie. their intensity, certainly on the exterior. One thing which always registers, in both sets of players, is the enormity of their missed scoring opportunities, a misplaced pass in the final 1/3 etc.

What you get with Shola is what somebody else has mentioned, that stupid looking smile. The enormity of the situation - ie. those key goal scoring moments etc - simply doesn't register with him.

• 3 weeks later...

first Taylor and now Shola!

---

Joe to hand Shola chance

Oct 4 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

JOE KINNEAR is ready to put his faith in Shola Ameobi for tomorrow’s game at Everton.

But while Jose Enrique is back in the picture, the United interim boss was forced to rule fellow full-back Habib Beye out just before the bus left for Merseyside after today’s training session.

Kinnear admits he has liked what he has seen of Ameobi this week – and with Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka still out injured, he is ready to partner the 26-year-old striker with Michael Owen tomorrow.

Kinnear told me: “I have two choices up front for a partner for Michael – Shola Ameobi or Xisco. I will probably give them 45 minutes each, but I am leaning towards starting off with Shola.

“This will be a big opportunity for him and I hope it is not a lost opportunity.

“They tell me he has 46 goals for us and this is more than anybody else in our squad at the moment.

“I have had a good talk to Shola this week and I have told him he has the size, power and pace to go out there and do it, and this is what I am looking for him to do tomorrow.”

Ameobi will need no reminding that it was at Goodison where he received the only red card of his career on the last day of the 2005 season.

Or the fact that his last goal for United from open play came in the 1-1 draw against Everton at St James’s Park just over two years ago.

Meanwhile, United have not had a recognised full-back in their line-up since Kevin Keegan’s last game at Arsenal and Kinnear was hoping to see both Beye and Enrique return tomorrow.

But while Enrique is in the squad – and it would be a surprise if he did not go in at left-back instead of Sebastien Bassong – Beye has not made enough progress from his Achilles tendon trouble.

Kinnear said: “I sat down with Habib Beye and had a long chat with him, but he feels he is not quite right and he is not going with us to Everton.

“But at least Charles N’Zogbia, who has not trained much this week after picking up that knock against Blackburn, is now OK, and we are delighted to have Danny Guthrie back from suspension.”

Everton, who have lost all their three home games to date in the Premier League, had a trip to Belgium this week only to have their Euro campaign ended they were knocked out of the UEFA Cup on Thursday night by Standard Liege.

They returned home with injuries to skipper Phil Neville and former United striker Louis Saha, and with right-back Tony Hibbert suffering from cramp.

Kinnear is aware his first game in charge of United will be followed by a 15-day break for the World Cup qualifiers.

He said today: “You want to get off to a winning start. There’s nothing I want more than to kick-start my reign here with a victory.

“We really need to get ourselves out of the position we are in. The last thing we want is to be in the position we are in now during the international break, with players moping around.

“There would be a feelgood factor for the following two weeks if we were to go to Goodison and get a decent result.”

“They tell me he has 46 goals for us and this is more than anybody else in our squad at the moment.

He's been given more games than pretty much everyone else in the squad put together for fucks sake!  Play a kid instead, I'd rather have an unknown quantity than Shola's known quantity because it's known to be a huge quantity of utter shit!

The issue isn't how good or bad you think Shola is. It's do you play Shola or Xisco. Shola gives you more of a physical presence and Xisco has pace. It seems quite sensible to start with one and finish with the other.

We all know that Shola isn't Pele, but neither is Xisco.

It's important that Joe makes his own mind up on the basis of what he sees for himself, not on what others tell him. I've no problem with this.

for fucks sake u call ureself fans, this guy is from the city, we should support him and hopefully he will score to silence you supposed supporters, how the fuck is the team meant to regain confidence if this is what happens when someone is selected.

for f***s sake u call ureself fans, this guy is from the city, we should support him and hopefully he will score to silence you supposed supporters, how the f*** is the team meant to regain confidence if this is what happens when someone is selected.

How can he silence us - he simply isnt good enough, he has given poor performances for so long now we have lost faith. I think the last time i saw him have a great game was away at Barcelona.

That says an awful lot.

for f***s sake u call ureself fans, this guy is from the city, we should support him and hopefully he will score to silence you supposed supporters, how the f*** is the team meant to regain confidence if this is what happens when someone is selected.

How can he silence us - he simply isnt good enough, he has given poor performances for so long now we have lost faith. I think the last time i saw him have a great game was away at Barcelona.

That says an awful lot.

what about arsenal 0-0, also has had a few good games against the big teams up top on his own under souness, and also the run of games under roader when he scored a few.

Im not saying hes a good player anyway, he fustrates the f*** out of me when i watch him, it just boils my piss when people either slag players off before a match, dont get behind them during a match, boo our own players or even worse boo them when the team sheet is read out or when they are being subbed on/off.

Guest Geordiesned

for fucks sake u call ureself fans, this guy is from the city, we should support him and hopefully he will score to silence you supposed supporters, how the fuck is the team meant to regain confidence if this is what happens when someone is selected.

I couldn't give a fuck if I was related to him. He's shit!

The issue isn't how good or bad you think Shola is. It's do you play Shola or Xisco. Shola gives you more of a physical presence and Xisco has pace. It seems quite sensible to start with one and finish with the other.

We all know that Shola isn't Pele, but neither is Xisco.

It's important that Joe makes his own mind up on the basis of what he sees for himself, not on what others tell him. I've no problem with this.

Sorry but Shola doesn't give more of a physical presence than Xisco, Shola is so slow and clueless that he offers nothing, if he was a race horse he'd have had a bolt in the head a long time ago.  Every time I hear he's in the team I wonder why I've gone to a game and no other player does that to me, he’s shambolic.

I couldn't give a f*** if I was related to him. He's s***!

Shola needs an arm around him (not around his neck) rather than a kick up the arse type of player. Keegan obviously did not believe in him and this showed. Since we don't have much of a choice anyway and haven't been winning games, let's see if this new found confidence in him by JK will pay off

Guest Heneage

Yeah but the problem is Robbie Earle said he was a negative motivator. He used to say things like "Robbie I reckon Incey is gonna tear youa new one today fella, hes gonna right over you".  You know like when you're Dad would say you're shocking on a Sunday morning and you'd go out like a man possessed.