The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

I was actually quite impressed by him. It's almost as if in times of trouble he can be useful...

I think he would have been in the back pocket of a defence with confidence and physicality. Can definately cause problems if he is switched on, just a shame he has lost the remote and can barely be arsed to get off the couch.

I was actually quite impressed by him. It's almost as if in times of trouble he can be useful...

I think he would have been in the back pocket of a defence with confidence and physicality. Can definately cause problems if he is switched on, just a shame he has lost the remote and can barely be arsed to get off the couch.

Yeah I know what you mean and agree completely. For example, when we had only him and Chopra available in 2006, he became a constant threat because it was his one chance to prove to everybody.

It's a shame he can't be arsed most of the time really cos he's shown glimpses that he can be a good player for us...

"If Shola scores, where on the pitch" for f***s sake, I'm glad only 600 went if you are gunna be twats like that, as I said in a previous post, SUPPORTERS remember?

Don't really see how it's such a bad song?  ???

it isn't if it wasn't so much of a piss take

Ah, right. I kind of get where you're coming from. We've sang that about Shearer and other players before though, I know this time it's more of a piss take like but it's kind of football humour.....

Yeah thought he did ok today actually. More like how he did in a few games under Roeder towards the end of the 2005-6 season.

I just hope though, that JFK isn't tempted to start him against Man City on the back of this.

True. I don't get it, how this guy has managed to survive for so long in or squad by the way. At times he prove to be useful (to the extent that well, he is there - we are 11 men (in terms of human beings) on the pitch... but for the most part he does not live up to EPL standard. On top of that it seems like he snubs every opportunity to leave and play regular first team football elsewhere. I just don't get it...

When we get new owners in, along with a new (and hopefully more permanent) manager, I hope they make enough money available to replace the remaining deadwood...

That thing he tried on the right wing from the long ball forward was very close to coming off, and if it had it'd have been one of the best pieces of skil I've seen in a game in a long time.

Actually creased myself laughing that it nearly actually came off for him. :lol:

Thought he did pretty decent today.  I really dislike the amount of slagging off he receives on here.  I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that he looks like a lazy player with his running style/size, he's a bit goofy looking on the pitch.  I just feel ashamed that we all seem to forget that he played well for us for almost an entire season through a hip injury that required surgery to fix but he refused to do it because the team needed him.  He's not first choice by a country mile but he's a great choice to have on the bench when we're resorting to long-ball at the end of a match.

Thought he did pretty decent today.  I really dislike the amount of slagging off he receives on here.  I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that he looks like a lazy player with his running style/size, he's a bit goofy looking on the pitch.  I just feel ashamed that we all seem to forget that he played well for us for almost an entire season through a hip injury that required surgery to fix but he refused to do it because the team needed him.  He's not first choice by a country mile but he's a great choice to have on the bench when we're resorting to long-ball at the end of a match.

Mind you, if Shola played the way he did yesterday all the time he wouldn't be getting half the flak he gets on here.

Not sure where this positivity is coming from.  The Shola of yesterday showed no difference to the Shola I remember from the last two years.  Slow, loping, poor control, off balance, surprisingly weak, the list goes on. 

Still a step up from Smith but didn't impress me one bit. 

He looked unbelievably slow yesterday, but to his credit he did well on a couple of occassions.

He looks like he is absolutely crushed of confidence mind. Understandable given that no one has any faith in him whatsoever.

JOE KINNEAR is backing Shola Ameobi to go and be the next John Fashanu.

And the Newcastle United interim manager has been so impressed at his 26-year-old striker that he plans to work with him on a one-to-one basis during the fortnight’s break for international duty.

Kinnear told me on Friday night that he intended to use Ameobi in his starting line-up at Everton, but in the end the former England Under-21 international had to be content with a place on the substitutes bench.

When he did get on Ameobi nearly set up the winner for Charles N’Zogbia but Leighton Baines cleared off the goal-line.

But Kinnear clearly rates Ameobi more than £5m deadline-day signing Xisco.

Ameobi has been teased by his United colleagues after hearing Kinnear call him the new John Fashanu in training and has revelled in his new name of Fash The Bash.

But Kinnear is quite serious when he says: “I think Shola has a lot to offer. I don’t think he’s the finished article, but he’s a powerful lad, and is willing to work.

“I’m going to work one-to-one with him most afternoons, and he could be a John Fashanu.”

Ameobi’s tally of 46 goals is more than any other player on the club’s staff, but he has not found the net for exactly two seasons since he scored from the penalty spot in the home defeat by Sam Allardyce’s Bolton.

But boosted by encouragement from Kinnear Ameobi twice went close in his 15 minutes on the field yesterday.

Fantastic. :lol:

JOE KINNEAR is backing Shola Ameobi to go and be the next John Fashanu.

And the Newcastle United interim manager has been so impressed at his 26-year-old striker that he plans to work with him on a one-to-one basis during the fortnights break for international duty.

Kinnear told me on Friday night that he intended to use Ameobi in his starting line-up at Everton, but in the end the former England Under-21 international had to be content with a place on the substitutes bench.

When he did get on Ameobi nearly set up the winner for Charles NZogbia but Leighton Baines cleared off the goal-line.

But Kinnear clearly rates Ameobi more than £5m deadline-day signing Xisco.

Ameobi has been teased by his United colleagues after hearing Kinnear call him the new John Fashanu in training and has revelled in his new name of Fash The Bash.

But Kinnear is quite serious when he says: I think Shola has a lot to offer. I dont think hes the finished article, but hes a powerful lad, and is willing to work.

Im going to work one-to-one with him most afternoons, and he could be a John Fashanu.

Ameobis tally of 46 goals is more than any other player on the clubs staff, but he has not found the net for exactly two seasons since he scored from the penalty spot in the home defeat by Sam Allardyces Bolton.

But boosted by encouragement from Kinnear Ameobi twice went close in his 15 minutes on the field yesterday.

Fantastic. :lol:

this is surely a pisstake right?

Guest fraser

I saw Shola play for the England U21s at Derby a few years ago and he was very, very good; an exciting prospect unfulfilled.