The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Thought it was an absolute quality touch from Shola, when in the second half he was given the ball about 25 yards from there goal and decided to back heal it to Given. Didnt quite come off, but good effort to tick some seconds of the clock with us 2 up.

He was f***ing s**** today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Can I just ask in what ways has Martins been better than Ameobi the last 2-3 games?

we know martins is good enough and we know ameobi isnt. simple as that for me.

saw a diffrent martins to me tonight, i thought he was awful.

i meant in general. ameobi has done well for half of 3 games but he's just not good enough. martins can get 15+ a season and that, for us, is good enough.

It's what's happening now what important to us, and at the minute, Ameobi has scored as many as Martins, in far fewer minutes.

Minutes played: Martins 379, Ameobi: 444

I've worked it out as Martins 475, to Ameobi 419.

I think you might want to check your calculator then. Talking league only, by the way, but you're still wrong when it comes to Ameobi.

Duff was probably our worst player the first 70 minutes, but then he somehow when no attacking footballer was on our side on the pitch he made forward runs and looked confident, but that was just the remaining 20 minutes when rest of the team was s***.

Ameobi was horrible second half, but first half he didnt do much wrong and got us a penalty and made two great passes into the box, one which martins couldnt follow up and the other which Beye hit to the moon.

Dont agree at all. Duff was not our worst player for 70 minutes. 

If Duff had been a bit darker and his surname was N'zogbia you would not be saying the same thing.

Thought it was an absolute quality touch from Shola, when in the second half he was given the ball about 25 yards from there goal and decided to back heal it to Given. Didnt quite come off, but good effort to tick some seconds of the clock with us 2 up.

:lol:

To be fair to Shola, even after that abysmal second half performance - i'd keep him in the team. He was one of our best players in the first half, and he was at Sunderland aswell. Some really nice touches and headers; seems decent when he's fresh.

I'd just take him off much, much sooner. He's horribly unfit.

He was f***ing s**** today as usual. Winning a penalty (thank god he was fouled or he'd have lost the ball) does not excuse giving the ball away for pretty much the rest of the game. Two out of Xisco, Owen and Martins if Owen is fit on Monday, please.

Can I just ask in what ways has Martins been better than Ameobi the last 2-3 games?

we know martins is good enough and we know ameobi isnt. simple as that for me.

saw a diffrent martins to me tonight, i thought he was awful.

i meant in general. ameobi has done well for half of 3 games but he's just not good enough. martins can get 15+ a season and that, for us, is good enough.

It's what's happening now what important to us, and at the minute, Ameobi has scored as many as Martins, in far fewer minutes.

Minutes played: Martins 379, Ameobi: 444

I've worked it out as Martins 475, to Ameobi 419.

I think you might want to check your calculator then. Talking league only, by the way, but you're still wrong when it comes to Ameobi.

Either way its not really far fewer minutes. Not that it matters anyway. Was a stupid point to begin with.

I thought Duff was pants for the majority of the match tbh. Drifted inside, drifted to the other wing, drifted back occassionally - just tended to run around aimlessly having little impact. He ran at players occassionally and looked decent but he's just SO mehhhh. Got no faith in him on the ball at all tbh.

I thought Duff was pants for the majority of the match tbh. Drifted inside, drifted to the other wing, drifted back occassionally - just tended to run around aimlessly having little impact. He ran at players occassionally and looked decent but he's just SO mehhhh. Got no faith in him on the ball at all tbh.

Wrong thread? :lol:

Anyway, it was his decision making that annoyed me more than anything else today. Not something you'd expect from an experienced player like him.

Both Shola and Martins provide moments of individual threat but their team play is erratic. Against that, the alternative strikers seem to disappear from the game altogether so it's catch 22 in some ways.

Somewhere along the line somebody told him to stop being a pansy and start using his physical attributes to push defenders around. To his credit, the lad's taken the advice seriously and has managed to elevate himself from "completely useless" to just "mediocre."

At this point he's pretty much integral to Kinnear's system and undroppable. While I don't particularly like said system, as long as Kinnear insists on playing that way Ameobi will be moderately effective and should stay in the side.

Both Shola and Martins provide moments of individual threat but their team play is erratic. Against that, the alternative strikers seem to disappear from the game altogether so it's catch 22 in some ways.

Give Owen & Viduka the bodies of Martins & Ameobi, and what a f*cking strikeforce. :lol:

We really needed to give Martins and Ameobi more support in the second half. There was no way the two of them could have held on to the ball in the opposition half all on their own.

I.e. Duff. Who seemed to be more interested in getting some neck cramp by assessing the ground whilst running instead of actually looking around.

Shola is a frustratingly poor footballer, I wish somebody would take him to one side and explain the offside rules to him, it's like watching a 10 year old struggling to learn what is and what isn't allowed.

Guest Heneage

Duff's shooting is horrific, i cant believe the guy used to get 10 a season

Another reason Charlie should get a go, has heck of a shot on him.

Did he dive for the pen last night?

Shola because of his style is extremely difficult to defend against when he gets at defenders in the box, he has very quick feet and gangly legs and any defender going in on him would have to time it perfectly.

Same old predictable campaign against Shola I see.

Last night he was the best performing striker on the pitch, looking at the game as a whole. But I expect all that anyone can remember is the chance when he stood on the ball. Martins run to the byline and then putting it out for a throw was worse than that. And the comments about not understanding offside are baffling - my recollection is that Martins was flagged offside more than Shola. Even in the second half when his performance did dip, he was still played some intelligent balls in for Duff, and over the game did not just win the majority of headers, actually flicked on for Martins and others to run at their defenders.

Don't get me wrong, Martins is my favourite NUFC player, but on form this season alone Shola has been the better player.

Given our striking options appear to be Owen, Martins, Viduka, Shola, Xisco, Smith and Carroll this season, I would quite comfortably put Shola as 4th place in that list, arguably 3rd as I think Viduka is finished even if he does get fit again. Given also that most of this list are incredibly unjury prone I expect Shola to get a fair amount of time on the pitch this season, and we need him in our current plight. So why not show the lad a bit of support for a change?

Last night a ball bounced, Shola waited for it, he held his man off, let the ball bounce again, still pushing the man back, put his foot up to trap it, miss controlled it, fell over and lost the ball.

The time it took you to read the above is still faster than Shola....I've never seen a more slow motion player in my life,