Stephen Warnock denies handing in transfer request

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Added a poll, just to see who people think is the better bet going into the new season.

nice poll btw, nice and unbiased

How is it biased?

well given all the talk of "the future" & "plans" and "youngsters" or whatever else we've been hearing why ask such an immediate question?

why not ask "do you think the club should essentially replace 22 year old enrique with 26 year old warnock?"?  equally subjective, you might even get the same answer, i don't know...

but it's ultimately the same as asking, should one be fit and we signed the other, "who's the best player at the moment, viduka or derdiyok?"

anyway i've had enough, bring on sunday and sep 1st can't some soon enough for me

We aren't replacing Enrique with anyone.  All we are doing is bringing another LB to the club and if Enrique is good enough he'll still play.  How can that possibly be a bad thing?

Added a poll, just to see who people think is the better bet going into the new season.

How is it biased?

well given all the talk of "the future" & "plans" and "youngsters" or whatever else we've been hearing why ask such an immediate question?

why not ask "do you think the club should essentially replace 22 year old enrique with 26 year old warnock?"?  equally subjective, you might even get the same answer, i don't know...

but it's ultimately the same as asking, should one be fit and we signed the other, "who's the best player at the moment, viduka or derdiyok?"

anyway i've had enough, bring on sunday and sep 1st can't some soon enough for me

We aren't replacing Enrique with anyone.  All we are doing is bringing another LB to the club and if Enrique is good enough he'll still play.  How can that possibly be a bad thing?

:thup:

How is it biased?

read the earlier posts edd, to all intents and purposes we're "replacing" him in the first team aren't we?  if not we're signing an inferior player?

can't be arsed, the points been made elsewhere

How is it biased?

read the earlier posts edd, to all intents and purposes we're "replacing" him in the first team aren't we?  if not we're signing an inferior player?

So we aren't allowed to sign a player who will replace him, but we aren't allowed to sign a player who will be behind Enrique in the pecking order?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I agree with MrMojo about Warnock/Enrique though. Bit like replacing a 22 year old Habib Beye with a 26 year old Stephen Carr. Yes, Carr's used to the Premiership, yes he's solid enough but he'll never be much more than that.

I think Enrique's going to be class though but it all seems to be about the here and now (I think he's a better player now tbh but that's my opinion). I do wonder though why Wenger doesn't replace his young if somewhat raw young stars with solid "proven" Premiership players...

because he's already got a bundle of other youngsters who are just as good

When Clichy was coming through after they sold Cole, he was using a central midfielder at left back to cover. Odd that he didn't go for Paul Konchesky really.

How is it biased?

So we aren't allowed to sign a player who will replace him, but we aren't allowed to sign a player who will be behind Enrique in the pecking order?

same to you james, read the earlier stuff re: bassong etc...

I agree with MrMojo about Warnock/Enrique though. Bit like replacing a 22 year old Habib Beye with a 26 year old Stephen Carr. Yes, Carr's used to the Premiership, yes he's solid enough but he'll never be much more than that.

I think Enrique's going to be class though but it all seems to be about the here and now (I think he's a better player now tbh but that's my opinion). I do wonder though why Wenger doesn't replace his young if somewhat raw young stars with solid "proven" Premiership players...

When Clichy was coming through after they sold Cole, he was using a central midfielder at left back to cover. Odd that he didn't go for Paul Konchesky really.

pack it in, you're making sense

do you mean lassana diarra?

How is it biased?

same to you james, read the earlier stuff re: bassong etc...

I couldn't care less if a player was 22 or 26 if they helped to improve the team.

Yet he went out and signed Sagna when he already had Eboue playing right back with hoyte as back up.

do you mean lassana diarra?

Mathieu Flamini.

We've also got a young player who can do a job at left back (potentially make that two players if Bassong's any good) as well if you'd not noticed.

Yet he went out and signed Sagna when he already had Eboue playing right back with hoyte as back up.

Probably because Eboue and Hoyte are both crap.

Considering N'Zogbia's had a fair crack of the whip under Keegan at LB in pre-season, if there's anything in this Warnock thing I think it's fair to assume KK simply doesn't rate him there.

N'Zogbia can do a job there but it's not his best position by a million miles. Depends the formation but Zog should be used much further up the field to create rather than destroy. 

Probably because Eboue and Hoyte are both crap.

But surely Hoyte can do a job? Since you're suggesting we have players that can do something similar.

Eboue is no worse than Enrique either btw.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Enrique has the most potential and therefore is potentially the better all-rounder but Warnock in an attacking sense has the right attributes which Enrique doesn't (yet) and for me that is more important because this helps you understand what KK is aiming for regarding how we're going to play, i.e. more attacking, more direct (not Big Sam direct ;)) and down the flanks more. Now people may say what about defence... err, the more you're on the ball and the more the oppo is penned back, the further they are away from our goal and the less time they have to create chances. In that sense Enrique isn't the best answer. If we are to play more attacking, I'd actually use N'Zogbia there with Jonas ahead of him, those two got plenty of joy against Valencia and their combined work rate and pace meant we were solid enough down that flank defensively.

N'Zogbia can do a job there but it's not his best position by a million miles. Depends the formation but Zog should be used much further up the field to create rather than destroy. 

being kind on Charles there

N'zogbia at LB is probably the clearest example of a player being out of position since 05-06 with Ameobi on the wing/pitch

I think N'Zogbia benefits from the extra space he is afforded when at left back.

Right now, he is no more than second choice in any of his positions. Needs to improve quickly. The competition will make or break him this season.

Guest Howaythetoon

N'zogbia at LB is probably the clearest example of a player being out of position since 05-06 with Ameobi on the wing/pitch

He wasn't that bad.

He wasn't that bad.

He was awful. The majority of chances last season were created from Zoggy's zone, and clubs took note and specifically attacked him down that side to great success.

Personally, i think the club needs another left back. I like Enrique but we can't rely simply on him, what happens if he gets injured? Are we going to play N'Zogbia left back again? Fuck that!

Now i understand the sentiment that noone wants to hamper Enrique's devlopment so to speak. However, there's no hiding from the fact that we need another left back.

The problem with Warnock is that he is exactly the wrong sort of player to please people. If we signed Ashley Cole, a world class left back at the top of his game (debateable), then people would say "fine we'll have enrique as back up". Likewise people would be content if we were to sign another promising 19 year old who could warm the bench and wait for his first team chance.

What's annoying people is that we might be bringing in a 26 year old who, although good, is no better than Enrique yet will jump into the first team, effectively hampering his development.

It isn't the worlds biggest problem if we sign Warnock, but i can see the arguement against it.   

:lol:

I'm a bit a traditionalist in as I'd like to see my defenders defend. If they can get forward and add something to the attack then great but they're there to provide a stable, solid platform for the midfield and forwards to play the nice stuff. Overlapping is fine but they're there to defend ultimately.