Stephen Warnock denies handing in transfer request

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest stjamestoon

I hope we spend £10m on him. At least we'll have spent more money than last year.

long day dave?

Was gonna say, dodgy post :p

I hope we spend £10m on him. At least we'll have spent more money than last year.

long day dave?

Just getting fed up with the complaints again, sorry.

I suppose it boils down to the fact I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as some people make out.

I get the feeling that Keegan just doesn't think that Enrique can defend properly. Not yet anyway. He may not view Warnock as anything great, just a whole lot more dependable than Enrique. If we're really in for him, I don't think it'll be as a back-up.

Allardyce didn't seem to have that much faith in Enrique either. I seem to remember it took a while before he gave him a game.

Personally, I'm just not sure. At times, Enrique looks like a hybrid between a FB and a CB, and falling short in both.

What do you think Capello saw in Warnock?

Spot on mate, we really arnt.

The way I look at it...last season we very much underachieved.  

This season we have a better squad overall, a full pre-season, kevin keegan at the helm and 3/4 decent signings so far.  

Far too much fucking doom and gloom in my book.

Guest stjamestoon

Spot on mate, we really arnt.

The way I look at it...last season we very much underachieved.  

This season we have a better squad overall, a full pre-season, kevin keegan at the helm and 3/4 decent signings so far.  

Far too much f***ing doom and gloom in my book.

The thing that worries me though is the fact that Pompy, Villa, Spurs etc are all really strengthening...and it sometimes feels like we aren't showing as much ambition as some of these teams, and we may fall behind..hopefully not though obviously!

I get the feeling that Keegan just doesn't think that Enrique can defend properly. Not yet anyway. He may not view Warnock as anything great, just a whole lot more dependable than Enrique. If we're really in for him, I don't think it'll be as a back-up.

Allardyce didn't seem to have that much faith in Enrique either. I seem to remember it took a while before he gave him a game.

Personally, I'm just not sure. At times, Enrique looks like a hybrid between a FB and a CB, and falling short in both.

What do you think Capello saw in Warnock?

Dunno, really. I imagine Warnock and Shorey are competing for the third choice LB spot, after Bridge and Cole.

I can't say that Warnock has made much of an impression on me, either way. I wasn't having a pop at the player. He may well be a better bet than Enrique.

long day dave?

I suppose it boils down to the fact I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as some people make out.

dave, we're not man, but why you'd be "happy" with warnock (or an equivalent player) escapes me completely

to move us forward we need to be targetting better than him, and that's a fact

long day dave?

dave, we're not man, but why you'd be "happy" with warnock (or an equivalent player) escapes me completely

Like who?

long day dave?

Like who?

give dennis, kk or the other guy a call

that's what they're paid the millions for

long day dave?

Of course we would all like to go out and get the best LB in the World. And throw him in next to the best 2 CB's, the best RB. the best GK and so on.

We aren't in a position to attract the top-notch players so we're going to have to build things up gradually. Signing Warnock for a modest fee is, at this moment in time, a  decent move. In 2 years time, if we're still signing 'Warnock's', I'll be slightly concerned. Until then, I'll back Keegan's judgement.

long day dave?

Like who?

So what you're saying is we need better but you can't name anyone, I'm guessing that's because there isn't a great deal of top quality left backs kicking about at the moment.

i don't see it that way. imo you can't compare Enrique with Warnock at the moment, and come out with a solid answer.

before joining us, Enrique had a bit of experience playing for a top La Liga side. pre-Blackburn, Warnock had a bit of experience playing for a top PL side. Both players are about to start their 2nd full season as first team PL left backs. On stats, Warnock edges it as he's been recently called up to the England first team by a world renowned manager, and last season played more games for his side than Enrique played for us. Still, there's very little to choose between them.

in that regard, mojorisin is right in that it would be a sideways step. at the same time, we do need cover for LB, so we need 2 players there. if we're looking to address more pressing matters such as midfield and up front by spending on top players (hopefully still to come), then it may mean we don't have enough funds allocated to bring in a top quality left back, and may have to settle for a reasonable player, such as Warnock.

I see Warnock as a better player than Enrique, with Premier League experience yet older, attainable and pretty cheap. The short-term solution.

I see Enrique as a young player with lots of potential. The mid and long-term solution.

Considering we currently have NOBODY ELSE AT THE CLUB who can play left-back adequately, I have no problem with this idea whatsoever.

Added a poll, just to see who people think is the better bet going into the new season.

nice poll btw, nice and unbiased

How is it biased?

well given all the talk of "the future" & "plans" and "youngsters" or whatever else we've been hearing why ask such an immediate question?

why not ask "do you think the club should essentially replace 22 year old enrique with 26 year old warnock?"?  equally subjective, you might even get the same answer, i don't know...

but it's ultimately the same as asking, should one be fit and we signed the other, "who's the best player at the moment, viduka or derdiyok?"

anyway i've had enough, bring on sunday and sep 1st can't some soon enough for me

long day dave?

Like who?

So what you're saying is we need better but you can't name anyone, I'm guessing that's because there isn't a great deal of top quality left backs kicking about at the moment.

i can't comment as such, personally i'd imagine there are plenty but given i'm not paid to study football and scout players day in day out i struggle to imagine why you'd ask my opinion on the matter

I agree with MrMojo about Warnock/Enrique though. Bit like replacing a 22 year old Habib Beye with a 26 year old Stephen Carr. Yes, Carr's used to the Premiership, yes he's solid enough but he'll never be much more than that.

I think Enrique's going to be class though but it all seems to be about the here and now (I think he's a better player now tbh but that's my opinion). I do wonder though why Wenger doesn't replace his young if somewhat raw young stars with solid "proven" Premiership players...

i don't see it that way. imo you can't compare Enrique with Warnock at the moment, and come out with a solid answer.

before joining us, Enrique had a bit of experience playing for a top La Liga side. pre-Blackburn, Warnock had a bit of experience playing for a top PL side. Both players are about to start their 2nd full season as first team PL left backs. On stats, Warnock edges it as he's been recently called up to the England first team by a world renowned manager, and last season played more games for his side than Enrique played for us. Still, there's very little to choose between them.

in that regard, mojorisin is right in that it would be a sideways step. at the same time, we do need cover for LB, so we need 2 players there. if we're looking to address more pressing matters such as midfield and up front by spending on top players (hopefully still to come), then it may mean we don't have enough funds allocated to bring in a top quality left back, and may have to settle for a reasonable player, such as Warnock.

WILL YOU STOP, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP READING POSTS AND BEING RATIONAL!!!!!!

I agree with MrMojo about Warnock/Enrique though. Bit like replacing a 22 year old Habib Beye with a 26 year old Stephen Carr. Yes, Carr's used to the Premiership, yes he's solid enough but he'll never be much more than that.

I think Enrique's going to be class though but it all seems to be about the here and now (I think he's a better player now tbh but that's my opinion). I do wonder though why Wenger doesn't replace his young if somewhat raw young stars with solid "proven" Premiership players...

because he's already got a bundle of other youngsters who are just as good

With Coloccini coming, I think Enrique is the weak link in our defence to be honest. If Warnock came, left back would be made stronger by competition, which should mean that the player on form will play.

Having said that, the defence isn't too shabby as individuals, so it could be more about the team as a unit, and the style of play Keegan wants to see from his team. All will be clear in a couple of months.